Sleeper - Kendall Hunter - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sleeper - Kendall Hunter

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sleeper - Kendall Hunter

Postby SameSongNDance » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:40 pm

I've been talking this guy up since last year. Although short at 5'7, I feel like he exhibits a great mixture of strength, speed and balance. Clearly, the backfield is crowded, but it may have just opened up a little with Jacobs going down with a serious injury in tonight's preseason game.

Brandon Jacobs was carried off the field following what appeared to be a significant left knee injury in Saturday night's preseason game against the Texans
"Jacobs was down on the field for several minutes as Texans and 49ers players alike gathered around him in concern. The injury happened at the end of an eight-yard run and collision with Texans CB Kareem Jackson, who was also initially shaken up but appeared to emerge okay. Jacobs could bear no weight on his left leg afterwards, and was ultimately carted to the locker room. It's early, but we suspect Jacobs won't be playing football this season." - Rotoworld.

Now, Gore looks like he may be on the down swing of his career. The biggest red flag for me, was Gore going from averaging around 50 receptions over a five year span, to only catching 17 passes last year. Also, we all know Gore isn't the most durable player, only completing a full season once in his career. Of course, these fears have been reflected in the plummet of his ADP, where he can be seen going as late at the 5th round, so this isn't new news.

LaMicheal James is the other SF RB a rookie out of Oregon. Although very talented, he is more of a niche, speedster type of back who is a better compliment than workhorse. He also has durability issues surrounding him.

Here are some blurbs, coming out of SF camp about Hunter..

Coach John Harbaugh effusively praised the work of RB Kendall Hunter and OLB Ahmad Brooks in training camp practices.
"Kendall Hunter is having an exceptional offseason and exceptional camp," said Harbaugh. "Ahmad Brooks has been fantastic all offseason, all camp ... I don't know if he doubled, tripled or quadrupled his salary, but this is the best shape he's been in. People say it's the best offseason he's had. I've been real impressed." - Rotoworld

Coach Jim Harbaugh believes RB Kendall Hunter "really has a chance to have a big year.
"I think just his instincts, his vision, both have improved," Harbaugh said. "It just seems the feel, the experience is there and in tremendous shape, very strong, running with a lot of confidence." Hunter compiled 668 yards on 128 touches in an impressive rookie season. It's reasonable to suggest he could flirt with 900 yards this year as the 49ers look to rest Frank Gore's legs for the stretch run.

So yeah, I predict we will be seeing enough of Hunter this season to make him worth a flex play in certain match-ups. When, not if Gore goes down, we are looking at legit RB2 value. I know predicating a prediction on an injury is a little silly but when you have the wear and tear and track record Gore has, it's not all that far-fetched. I'll leave you guys with a highlight reel, only one I can find so excuse the quality haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNiLQR_LV1M
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Sleeper - Kendall Hunter

Postby SameSongNDance » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Update:

LaMicheal James went down with an ankle injury and was carted off in the same game.

http://www.rotoinfo.com/comments-latestfromTwitter-143100.html

LaMichael James was carted off the field with a left foot injury in the fourth quarter of Saturday night's preseason game against the Texans.
The injury appeared to be to James' left foot or ankle. A second-round pick out of Oregon, James had four carries for 19 yards before exiting, playing behind Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, and Brandon Jacobs. Jacobs was carted off earlier in the night with a possibly severe left knee injury. All of the Niners' backfield ailments are improving Gore and Hunter's fantasy outlooks. - Rotoworld
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby irishclown » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:51 am

Wouldn't exactly labl him a "sleeper", as most people realize Gore is hurt a lot, and will split a lot of time with him anyway. I like Kendall, he showed flashes of greatness last season. Now that Jacobs is hurt his value goes up even more.
irishclown
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby SameSongNDance » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:37 pm

irishclown wrote:Wouldn't exactly labl him a "sleeper", as most people realize Gore is hurt a lot, and will split a lot of time with him anyway. I like Kendall, he showed flashes of greatness last season. Now that Jacobs is hurt his value goes up even more.

Just a week ago he was being taken at beginning of the 14th round in 12-team PPR leagues. Since then he has rose to the end of the 12th. I'm pretty sure that merits a sleeper status unless people bank on their late round fliers to produce. The term is pretty subjective but I'd have to wonder what you label a sleeper then. He's in the same boat as Jacquizz-Rodgers, who is a unanimous sleeper candidate.

Updates..

A Sunday MRI confirmed that Brandon Jacobs suffered "no major damage" to his left knee in Saturday night's preseason game.
No timetable has been provided, but Jacobs clearly avoided a significant injury and should be back in a matter of weeks. Whether he'll play in the season opener remains unclear. Jacobs has five preseason carries for 39 yards. Aug 19 - 8:34 PM

49ers RB LaMichael James suggested his left foot is fine after leaving Saturday night's game on a cart.
"I will be 100% at practice Monday in full force," James tweeted late Saturday. The injury appears to be of the day-to-day variety for the second-round rookie. Aug 19 - 10:22 AM

A lot of writers, fans and etc. have suggested Hunter looks like the best back in SF after rushing for 46 yards on 6 carries against HOU in their second preseason game. His ADP will probably stay put in the 12th so don't sleep on him if you can help it.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Return to Football Talk