Newbie seeking help - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Newbie seeking help

Moderator: Football Moderators

Newbie seeking help

Postby dangadd » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:58 am

Hi All,

I've been invited to play in Fantasy Football for the first time (have been playing Fantasy Baseball for acouple of years) in a league based in England (where I'm from). Last year there were 10 teams in the league, it looks like 2 haven't returned and 4 of us have joined making it a 12 team league. I took over one of the teams that was abandoned. We each have selected up to 5 keepers - with us being required to forfeit the draft pick that was used on that player last year (there have been some very cheap deals going down but that's for another post...).

The comissioner described the league as ...'we are a ppr league that rewards QB completions and kick return yards, the D is half standard scoring and the individual defensive players are scored by half standard as well'. Our roster is made up of

QB, WR(2), RB(2), TE, W/R/T(5), K, DEF, DB, DL, LB, IR, BN(5)

I kept 3 keepers (Eli manning - 11th Round, Arian Foster - 1st Round, Billy Cundiff - 21st Round). No DEF could be kept as they were not in teh scoring system last year - all 32 are available.

I have a couple of ideas I want to float past you all - advice

Idea 1 : One guy has no draft picks until round 3 (I know he's keen to get into round 2 - I think he has a target in mind) He has 2 picks in round 3(picks 28 and 32). I have a 2nd round pick (17) - which will actually be the 7th pick after the keepers have been taken into account. I could trade my 2nd round pick plus another pick to him for his 28 and 32? what do you all think? what should I package with it? Try something like an 8th rounder and see if he bites? This would give me 3 picks at 28, 29 and then 32 where I could try and fill my major roster needs (I'm thinking RB, WR and WR depending on availability...).

Idea 2 : I leave my last 4 picks to fill (DB, LB, DL and K - Cundiff). There will be plenty of these avaialable on the wire and the scoring system makes alot of these of similar value.

I also have a couple of questions regarding the scoring and how it affects draft strategy. I have been looking at the top 200 on fantasyfootballcafe and only 8 DST features in the top 200. I guess they will be even less valuable in my league? also what do I do about the Flex positions? do I try and target one position in particular for these or a mix of W/R/T ?

All input appreciated?

Dan
dangadd
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Newbie seeking help

Postby Namaste » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:50 am

First, why did you use a keeper on a kicker?

I'd keep the 2nd pick depending on the quality of players available. If you can pair Foster with another stud you'll have a solid foundation.

Without knowing who will be available though it's hard to judge. I'd say in your first year though, avoid trades for draft picks because you're probably dealing with someone who knows more then you and you likely won't be able to maximize value.
Namaste
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dangadd » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate the comment about trading picks. You are probably right that I'd end up on the bad end of the deal. I'll stay away from any deal.

The Kicker keeper was just because I didn't think i had anyone else worth keeping at the price I was required to pay. I assumed that I would have to pick a Kicker and thus using my last pick (It's a 21 rd draft) on a Kicker who I believe will be in the top 5 wouldn't be too bad a move.

Thanks again for your reply,

Dan
dangadd
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fantasycube » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:14 pm

One strategy for the flex spot is to target a middle TE with upside. He can be your bye TE filler, than use as trade bait.

RB's are scarce in your league since you have 2 RB roster spots, so finding a serviceable one for the flex would mean a reach, which may not be the best value in a PPR. You could aim for the top handcuffs like Ben Tate, CJ Spiller, Jacquizz Rodgers, Michael Bush or Taiwan Jones (if healthy), who you can plugin at Flex if the matchup is right and you get tremendous upside. Otherwise, I aim for WR sleepers on good passing teams to try to find the next Victor Cruz or Jordy Nelson. Good luck! ;-D
fantasycube
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Beginner's Forum