Ben Tate's Value - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Ben Tate's Value

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ben Tate's Value

Postby coolmar100 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:30 pm

I took the handcuffs of other people during my draft and I ended up waiting too long on WR, the 6th round. Right now I'm trying to gauge what is a fair trade for Ben Tate to Foster's owner. I am in a 1/2 PPR league with 2 keepers. He has Nicks as his #2 and Maclin as his best bench WR. Would you give up either if you had Foster? The owner has already spoken to me about getting Tate. My roster is below.

QB-Brady
RB-J Charles
RB-D Sproles
WR-Bowe
WR-D Thomas
TE-Gronkowski
K-Bironas
D-Seahawks
Flex-R Bush

Bench:
B Tate (RB)
D Moore (WR)
R Wayne (WR)
D Wilson (RB)
S Greene (RB)
L Miller (RB)
coolmar100
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ben Tate's Value

Postby 11stever11 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:39 pm

I would not give either in a trade for Tate straight up. You probably would have to add a wide receiver with Tate. I would wait until Foster gets hurt or slows down so you can get max value. Also Tate should be an effective bye week player this season so there is no need to trade him.
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 46)

Postby Namaste » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:43 pm

I have the first pick in my draft. I'm taking Foster.

There's no way I'd trade those guys for Tate.

I want Tate and if I miss him in my draft I will immediately offer the guy that drafts him my next pick and one a couple rounds later. If that doesn't work, then I will not have Tate...I will not overpay for insurance.
Namaste
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby coolmar100 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks guys. I was just curious since I am new to the whole handcuff strategy how much value should be put on them.
coolmar100
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Jason497 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:00 pm

Yeah I own Arian Foster and I wouldn't give up a starter for insurance.

I own Foster in a league and had absolutely no intention of owning Ben Tate because I don't think he approaches 1000 yards again this year and I wasn't overpaying for a handcuff. A lot of Tate's points came because Houston was blowing out horrible teams and he got most of the 2nd half carries. A lot of them also came when Foster was out the first 3 weeks and week 17 that Foster didn't play.

When Foster is playing and the game isn't out of hand, he is their workhorse, with Tate coming in when he needs a breather. I would never wanna start Tate because who the hell knows if he's gonna get 6 carries or go off.

I got Ben Tate going for about 750 yards on the ground this year, I think Foster takes 40 carries back to hit 320 on the year.

In my opinion Ben Tate is a RB4, not a RB3 like he's being drafted as. Somehow I was able to get him in the 9th round as a RB4, so I took him in that league. Idk how the hell he fell so far, he's got like a 7th round ADP typically.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Postby dblj9911 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:05 pm

Well Tate is exactly what he is a handcuff, a back up RB. To me he is the second best, possibly the third best behind M Bush (he'll get goal line carries), Wilson- depending on Bradshaws health and how much playing time they give him. If it's me I'm not giving up much more than another back up player to get him.
dblj9911
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 75)

Postby SameSongNDance » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:46 pm

This isn't the same situation as last year. Tate is still a handcuff, a premiere handcuff.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Jason497 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:01 pm

SameSongNDance wrote:This isn't the same situation as last year. Tate is still a handcuff, a premiere handcuff.

Well last year Tate was unproven and competing with Derrick Ward and no one could know Foster's hamstring would have a setback. This year everyone wants to use him in their flex spot.

I think Rashad Jennings has to be in that "best handcuff" argument. He's going where Ben Tate was going last year.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions