Trading for 5th Overall. WHIR. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Trading for 5th Overall. WHIR.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trading for 5th Overall. WHIR.

Postby Da'Markus Russell » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:06 pm

10 team standard scoring league. I have the 4th overall pick and was just offered this trade for #5.

#5, #55
FOR
#17, #24.

I'm really tempted to make the trade since there are 5 truly elite players this year IMO (Rice, Foster, McCoy, Rodgers, Brady). I'd use the pick to select Brady if I take a top RB at 4 (most likely), but if I take Rodgers first than I'd most likely end up taking C. Johnson (which one, I'm still deciding). Do you think I should make the deal? Thanks, and WHIR.
Da'Markus Russell
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Trading for 5th Overall. WHIR.

Postby Namaste » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:09 pm

I couldn't pull the trigger on this deal.

If I knew one of the top 3 RB's was going to be there I'd have to think long and hard about it, but you're likely to get a really good RB at 17 anyway. The difference between the 24 and 55 pick is just too much. At both 17 and 24 you should get a true impact player at 55 your hoping to get a solid guy.
Namaste
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby BurritoBoy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:25 pm

Namaste wrote:I couldn't pull the trigger on this deal.

If I knew one of the top 3 RB's was going to be there I'd have to think long and hard about it, but you're likely to get a really good RB at 17 anyway. The difference between the 24 and 55 pick is just too much. At both 17 and 24 you should get a true impact player at 55 your hoping to get a solid guy.

Exactly what I think. The drop off from 24 to 55 isn't enough to cancel out the step from 17 to 5. You can get 2 really good players there.
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 12)

Postby da bears » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:41 pm

If you can make this deal contingent on one of the top 3 running backs being available I actually would make this deal. You'd be getting a top quarterback and basically 1.5 running backs w foster/mccoy/or rice. It's a big drop off from 24 to 55 but the drop off from from players is very drastic after the top 3 running backs/quarterbacks/Calvin in the WR department are off the board. After you get past these guys projection wise it is a steady fall so 24 to 55 isn't as crazy as you'd think.
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 10)

Postby runDMC! » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:47 am

I would focus on trying to fill up my starting spots before worrying about upgrades at any one spot. When looking at it having two top-10 picks would be cool but you'd have to make up some serious ground with value picks later on to make it worthwhile. If I counted it right your next picks would be at 36 and 43, and then 55 and 56. If you could make those count then it'd be a maybe at best.

I've seen a lot of people taking Rodgers in the top-3 so I'd probably think real hard about taking the gamble, but a lot of it depends on your confidence in drafting in the later rounds. Good luck.

Thanks for your input in my post, mind helping me again?
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=515857&p=3440004#p3440004
runDMC!
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions