3rd pick, who do I pick in the 1st round? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

3rd pick, who do I pick in the 1st round?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 3rd pick, who do I pick in the 1st round?

Postby SameSongNDance » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:13 am

SameSongNDance wrote:
Bherman13 wrote:So he is at 32.89 PPG. That is still a QB difference of 13.69. Still less than the difference for RBs.


Your argument is flawed. The difference between the #1QB and #10QB cannot be compared to the difference between the #1RB and the #10RB, you're comparing apples and oranges. This coupled with the fact that you think QBs getting 6PTs rather than 4PTs shouldn't effect their ADP in a draft confuses me.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 1574
Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 3rd pick, who do I pick in the 1st round?

Postby bandoogie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:17 am

SameSongNDance wrote:
Bherman13 wrote:So he is at 32.89 PPG. That is still a QB difference of 13.69. Still less than the difference for RBs.


Your argument is flawed. The difference between the #1QB and #10QB cannot be compared to the difference between the #1RB and the #10RB, you're comparing apples and oranges. This coupled with the fact that you think QBs getting 6PTs rather than 4PTs shouldn't effect their ADP in a draft confuses me.


So, even with all that said, Song. You are still saying if I'm sitting at the 3rd pick, I need to take one of the top 3qbs? If so, who should I target as a QB, and what round should I look for them? Thanks.
bandoogie
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
Posts: 810
(Past Year: 242)
Joined: 19 Aug 2012
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 3rd pick, who do I pick in the 1st round?

Postby Bherman13 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:21 am

But it can be. It's all about value. If people were drafting solely on the most points scored, Then there would be 5 or 6 QBs taken in the first round every single season. QB is much deeper than RB. Last season, I won my league platooning Alex Smith (#16 QB) and Vick (#11). My running backs were McCoy, Lynch and Sproles in the flex. And the QB I beat in my week 16 championship? None other than Rodgers, with the backfield of Beanie Wells and Shonn Greene.

Running back in the first round is tried and true. Even with the league going pass heavy. I'd rather have the best RB over the best QB any sunday. If you disagree, please feel free to invite me to your league and I'd love to compare our strategies.
Bherman13
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 83
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 22 Feb 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 3rd pick, who do I pick in the 1st round?

Postby SameSongNDance » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:25 am

bandoogie wrote:
SameSongNDance wrote:
Bherman13 wrote:So he is at 32.89 PPG. That is still a QB difference of 13.69. Still less than the difference for RBs.


Your argument is flawed. The difference between the #1QB and #10QB cannot be compared to the difference between the #1RB and the #10RB, you're comparing apples and oranges. This coupled with the fact that you think QBs getting 6PTs rather than 4PTs shouldn't effect their ADP in a draft confuses me.


So, even with all that said, Song. You are still saying if I'm sitting at the 3rd pick, I need to take one of the top 3qbs? If so, who should I target as a QB, and what round should I look for them? Thanks.


It's perfectly reasonable to choose a QB with the 3rd pick (6PT per passing TD leagues only), I've mulled it over in my head many times, a case could be made for it with the kind of stats we saw last year. The problem is the theory seemingly falls apart after the first round. The RB pool is just that thin. For instance, even if you have the 4th pick, and you're supposed to go with either Megatron or Rodgers, "reaching" for CJ2.24 is absolutely fine. I've done a bunch of mocks and have had a hard time compiling a team I felt comfortable with if I didn't choose a RB in this first round (this usually applies to positions 1.1-1.7). Like I said, I'm in the camp of "if I can snag an elite RB, I will do so regardless of position). Rodgers fell to me at 1.6 in one of my leagues (4PT per passing TD), CJ.2.24 had already been taken and I decided to go with DMC. My following picks were Julio, Nicks, Maclin (it's 1PPR), Gates followed by Ryan in the 6th. I am much happier with this team than if I had went with Rodgers. Ryan HAS moved up in ADP since my draft but you get the point.
Last edited by SameSongNDance on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 1574
Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 3rd pick, who do I pick in the 1st round?

Postby SameSongNDance » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:28 am

Bherman13 wrote:But it can be. It's all about value. If people were drafting solely on the most points scored, Then there would be 5 or 6 QBs taken in the first round every single season. QB is much deeper than RB. Last season, I won my league platooning Alex Smith (#16 QB) and Vick (#11). My running backs were McCoy, Lynch and Sproles in the flex. And the QB I beat in my week 16 championship? None other than Rodgers, with the backfield of Beanie Wells and Shonn Greene.

Running back in the first round is tried and true. Even with the league going pass heavy. I'd rather have the best RB over the best QB any sunday. If you disagree, please feel free to invite me to your league and I'd love to compare our strategies.


Hey man, I agree with your end result just not your reasoning. The shift to more QBs being taken in the earlier rounds actually has increased over the past couple years solely because they score more points. You can check it out yourself http://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp_ppr.php.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 1574
Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 3rd pick, who do I pick in the 1st round?

Postby bandoogie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:50 am

SameSongNDance wrote:
bandoogie wrote:
SameSongNDance wrote:
Your argument is flawed. The difference between the #1QB and #10QB cannot be compared to the difference between the #1RB and the #10RB, you're comparing apples and oranges. This coupled with the fact that you think QBs getting 6PTs rather than 4PTs shouldn't effect their ADP in a draft confuses me.


So, even with all that said, Song. You are still saying if I'm sitting at the 3rd pick, I need to take one of the top 3qbs? If so, who should I target as a QB, and what round should I look for them? Thanks.


It's perfectly reasonable to choose a QB with the 3rd pick (6PT per passing TD leagues only), I've mulled it over in my head many times, a case could be made for it with the kind of stats we saw last year. The problem is the theory seemingly falls apart after the first round. The RB pool is just that thin. For instance, even if you have the 4th pick, and you're supposed to go with either Megatron or Rodgers, "reaching" for CJ2.24 is absolutely fine. I've done a bunch of mocks and have had a hard time compiling a team I felt comfortable with if I didn't choose a RB in this first round (this usually applies to positions 1.1-1.7). Like I said, I'm in the camp of "if I can snag an elite RB, I will do so regardless of position). Rodgers fell to me at 1.6 in one of my leagues (4PT per passing TD), CJ.2.24 had already been taken and I decided to go with DMC. My following picks were Julio, Nicks, Maclin (it's 1PPR), Gates followed by Ryan in the 6th. I am much happier with this team than if I had went with Rodgers. Ryan HAS moved up in ADP since my draft but you get the point.



It's really funny you mention this because my first couple of drafts, when I went with McCoy, I liked my overall team better than when I went with Brady there. With Brady, I couldn't find a way to make my whole team work.
bandoogie
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
Posts: 810
(Past Year: 242)
Joined: 19 Aug 2012
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 3rd pick, who do I pick in the 1st round?

Postby thebigsmooth » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:22 am

IMO I would go Rice, Foster, McCoy in that order. To me sitting in the 3rd spot is a no-brainer and you take whoever is there from these 3.

Good luck
Image
thebigsmooth
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1405
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Michigan

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 16:25 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact