interesting trade question; WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

interesting trade question; WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

interesting trade question; WHIR

Postby saemick » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:02 pm

I have the #1 pick in my .5PPR league (all TD's =6pts) and am completely set on taking Foster. However, here's what I was proposed:

I draft Aaron Rodgers with the #1 pick
the guy with the #11 pick will then trade me both his 1.11 & 2.2 picks FOR Aaron Rodgers.

The rub is that there's nothing in place to allow trading of draft picks, so we would simply have to trade the players after the draft has been completed.

Now, this puts me in a tough position since I don't have a 100% guarantee that:

he'll follow through with the trade
    draft who I want him to draft
    or even if I'm better off doing this

we start:
1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1RB/WR/TE, 1K, 1DST

could really use some insight fromt he cafe

thoughts?
saemick
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: interesting trade question; WHIR

Postby latraffic » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:09 pm

Have you played with him in the past? How much can you trust this guy?
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SameSongNDance » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:11 pm

So you essentially would be trading your #1 pick for two round 2 picks. Do you get even the slightest say in who he drafts at 1.11 and 2.2 or you're just going to hope he chooses the players you like. I'd do it if I could get the players I want but you sound like there's absolutely no guarantee haha. Can you take his word? This feels extremely risky.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby saemick » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:18 pm

I mean, I think I can trust him. And I'm pretty sure I can give him a ranking of who I'd want him to take @ 1.11 & 2.02, so it's not a complete crap shoot...but nothing's 100% b/c who knows, he could change his mind.

As far as the picks themselves, is it better to have Foster and then wait till 2.12 / 3.1 for my next 2 picks, or get the best available at 1.11, then again at 2.02, and still have my original 2nd/3rd round picks to boot?

While I like the security of one of the top 3 RB's, having 4 picks in the top 25 is pretty enticing...
saemick
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby colveraki » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:19 pm

Too many ifs. I would walk away unless he gives you some sort of assurance. Rodgers is a nice piece to have.
colveraki
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby SameSongNDance » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:24 pm

saemick wrote:I mean, I think I can trust him. And I'm pretty sure I can give him a ranking of who I'd want him to take @ 1.11 & 2.02, so it's not a complete crap shoot...but nothing's 100% b/c who knows, he could change his mind.

As far as the picks themselves, is it better to have Foster and then wait till 2.12 / 3.1 for my next 2 picks, or get the best available at 1.11, then again at 2.02, and still have my original 2nd/3rd round picks to boot?

While I like the security of one of the top 3 RB's, having 4 picks in the top 25 is pretty enticing...

Taking Rodgers at #1, if your plan doesn't pan through is extremely risky. I'm starting to sound like a broken record haha but the RB pool is extremely thin. If you don't go with a elite RB in 1.1/1.2/1.3 you'll have an incredibly tough time building a stable team around whoever else you choose. On the comeback, in the late 2nd round, the RB choices are scarce and the drop off is extreme. The QB and WR positions are undeniably deep this year and waiting on them is optimal.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby BurritoBoy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:01 pm

If you can get guarantees that you can tell him who to draft, and that at 1.11/2.2 he will draft who you want him to pick, then I would like it.

Think about who would most likely be there when he picks 1.11/2.2 If you wouldn't make that trade of Rodgers for player X and Y (say maybe Forte/Lynch/Murray/DMC/Gronk/Graham/Stafford) then don't do the trade with him. If you do the trade, you could wind up with 2 potential top 10 RBs instead of 1 top RB. I'm assuming your strategy is to get a QB at the either 4/5 turn or 6/7 turn. Doing this trade wouldn't alter that strategy. You could then go RB/WR at 2/3 and lock up 3 RBs in the top 15 or so.
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 12)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions