What to do with Andre Johnson? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What to do with Andre Johnson?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What to do with Andre Johnson?

Postby Favre.com » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:49 pm

So in my money league Andre lasted till the 3rd and I was still without a WR1 at that point. I bit the bullet as receivers came off the board like flies and if I did not take him there my WR1 would have, at best, been Colston on the wrap around. Don't know what to make of it as my WRs are weak as is and if (when) he goes down again I may be completely screwed. Thoughts on Andre this season and where would you actually draft him? I got him as the 10th WR off the board.
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: What to do with Andre Johnson?

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:30 pm

I don't want anything to do with him this year. The guy always seems to be missing time during the regular season. However, if he does stay healthy, he will definitely outproduce the value of where you drafted him.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 71)

Postby benb18a » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm

Definite risk/reward play, probably the biggest of such at WR this year. He's the kind of guy I'd have a nervous breakdown as my WR1 but would be all over him like white on rice as a WR2 behind a solid WR1.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby ravendan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:46 pm

I'd be concerned with him as there is now NO one accross from him. Even when he is healthy, he will be a step slower. At least with Jacoby Jones defenses had to respect his speed on the other side. Who is there to take that pressure of AJ now?
ravendan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby benb18a » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:35 pm

A healthy Owen Daniels and a beast running game? Did you forget he was at or near #1 WR points last year until the injury?

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby dgan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:07 pm

The problem with Houston historically is just the lack of passing TDs. He gets you fantasy points with tons of yardage and a TD every 3 weeks. He's not really a threat for a 15TD type season. Houston's low passing TD numbers always surprise me when I evaluate the previous season stats.

My biggest concern with him will be that his ypc will start going down, so those yardage totals will start dropping. I have him as my 13th WR, so I think he's an ok pick in that spot. And he does have upside, which is unusual for a WR of his calibre. He's just not expected to be a top 5 guy anymore.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby SameSongNDance » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:48 am

dgan wrote:The problem with Houston historically is just the lack of passing TDs. He gets you fantasy points with tons of yardage and a TD every 3 weeks. He's not really a threat for a 15TD type season. Houston's low passing TD numbers always surprise me when I evaluate the previous season stats.

My biggest concern with him will be that his ypc will start going down, so those yardage totals will start dropping. I have him as my 13th WR, so I think he's an ok pick in that spot. And he does have upside, which is unusual for a WR of his calibre. He's just not expected to be a top 5 guy anymore.

Who the heck is really a threat for a 15 TD season anyway? Judging Andre by those standards is kind of unfair seeing as how only three WRs surpassed 10 TDs last season. He's usually good for 8 TD's, enough for him to breach top 10 PPR when combined with his reception and yardage totals. Sure, he doesn't have 15 TD upside, but Megatron is in a class of his own at this point. The biggest concern should still be injury and only injury, especially after the non-contact hamstring tear he suffered last year. The last two years he did get injured, he was on pace for yet again great seasons. In 2010 he put up 1200 yards and 8 TDs in only 13 games. In 2011 he was on pace for around 1100 yards and admittedly a lower TD total but those are more fluky than anything else. I think in the mid-late 3rd round is a good place to take him, seeing as how he still has enough upside to merit being taken within the top 10. Also, using the good ol eye test, he looked absolutely fine catching that 40 yard bomb in his latest preseason match. It's a risk vs. reward type deal, if he stays healthy through out the season you could have a top 5 guy on your hands for the price of a late 3rd round pick.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Cuffs » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:08 pm

AJ is fast enough. At his size and athleticism he doesn't need to outrun corners to get open. Schaub is accurate enough and when he plays Johnson just takes it away from people.

The health is the issue. Even with his prior health history I took AJ 9th overall last season -- second season straight he was my 1st round pick. Couldn't stand to take a risk on him in the first two rounds this year, but this is exactly the kind of year I could see him staying healthy, playing a full season, and being top 8 WR even with a run-heavy attack.

IMO 3rd round is a pretty good deal for a WR like that. For the record, though, I expect Colston to have a really big year too.
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 35)

Postby SameSongNDance » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Cuffs wrote:AJ is fast enough. At his size and athleticism he doesn't need to outrun corners to get open. Schaub is accurate enough and when he plays Johnson just takes it away from people.

The health is the issue. Even with his prior health history I took AJ 9th overall last season -- second season straight he was my 1st round pick. Couldn't stand to take a risk on him in the first two rounds this year, but this is exactly the kind of year I could see him staying healthy, playing a full season, and being top 8 WR even with a run-heavy attack.

IMO 3rd round is a pretty good deal for a WR like that. For the record, though, I expect Colston to have a really big year too.

I love how Colston constantly flies under the radar every year. He lead the league, catching a whopping 75.3% of his 97 targets last year, that's slot man effeciency. The problem is he's literally Mr. Glass himself and will mostly likely not play a full season. Early 5th is a steal for a high-end WR2 though.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Return to Football Talk