Frank Gore + 2nd rd future pick for Stafford? WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Frank Gore + 2nd rd future pick for Stafford? WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Frank Gore + 2nd rd future pick for Stafford? WHIR

Postby AngryLionsFAn » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm getting slightly frustrated with a trade offer that has some escalating demands, so I could use some advice here.

I'm in a standard scoring yardage league with a twist. We keep 5 veteran players, and every year we do a 5 rd rookie draft. You keep 2 of your rookies for the following season, so long as you do not start them the season you draft them (then they are considered veterans). So it's a total of Seven players. My keepers entering into this season before the draft in 2 weeks are:

MJD
Gore
Roddy White
Vincent Jackson
Peyton Hillis
A.J. Green
Torrey Smith

I'm talking to another owner who has Cam Newton as a rookie pick from last year, and Stafford. He also has Megatron, and he's already admitted that he wants to keep Newton and separate Megatron from Stafford so both players don't tank if Stafford is having a bad week or injured again.

I want Stafford because I'm sick of picking up subpar QB talent in the draft because out of the 10 teams, the following QBs have been kept: Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning, Romo, and Schaub. Granted I could take Rivers (previously kept), Ryan, or Big Ben (previously kept) at this point.

So originally it was going to be trade immediately following the draft for Gore + a backup player for Stafford. Now he's asking for my 2nd rd pick in 2013 for Stafford + his 2014 4th rd pick. I'm getting irritated here. He has Sproles on his roster for RB and that's it, so he won't get better talent then what I'm offering him. The best available RBs are Bradshaw, Turner, Green-Ellis, and Benson.

Am I nuts?

Does anyone else agree that giving up a 2nd rd pick with Gore is too much?

Am I really fleecing him anyway?

I realize that this is probably the last season that Gore is a valid starter since he's standing on the edge of the cliff for RB career length. Regardless, if I give up Gore I'm left with MJD, who has too many carries on him lately and may hold out til week 10 for all we know. Even if he reports soon I'm already scared of an early season injury for MJD because of the holdout. Even though I think Gore is all but done, if I trade him away I'm going to have a difficult year. The reality is it's a 10 year old keeper league. If I do this it's pretty much for a future move at this point. This year I took Doug Martin in the rookie draft, so I'm counting on him to shore up my RBs in the future. If I suck this year, I can live with it.

As for Stafford, speaking as a Lions fan I can definitely say that their offense will be a force to be reckoned with for years to come. Megatron is locked up long term, Titus Young could make a major breakout this year, Pettigrew and Scheffler are a capable 1-2 punch, Broyles could be the possession receiver they are missing to round off the WR corps. I don't expect 5,000 yds - 41 TDs year in and year out, but if Stafford stays healthy he'll be great for years to come.
AngryLionsFAn
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Frank Gore + 2nd rd future pick for Stafford? WHIR

Postby Bherman13 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:10 pm

I would take the trade. Gore probably won't even finish this year with 1000-6 with all the help they brought in for him. They know he's declining and they're going to lighten his load. A lot. That being said, you're better off with Stafford and Bradshaw or Green-Ellis then you would be with Rivers or Ryan and Gore.

Take the top tier QB for the third tier RB.
Bherman13
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SameSongNDance » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:19 pm

In theory this seems like a tough trade to make but I think you have to do it. I personally don't think Gore is even going to finish as the leading rusher for SF by years end, where his value will essentially totally evaporate. I'd approach this like giving up a 2nd rounder for a top 5 QB, in which case it's worth it in your keeper league, where there seems to be a premium on elite QBs.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby AngryLionsFAn » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:19 am

From his perspective (which is hard to get into because I think he's making a BAD trade) would you accept 3rd for a 5th? That's the thing I'm getting caught up on here, a 2nd is hard to give up.
AngryLionsFAn
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Bherman13 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:25 am

Like the other guy said... Do you think Stafford is worthy to be drafted in the second round? If so I think this is a no-brainer.
Bherman13
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)

Postby mayfijr » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:05 am

I think I would make this trade. Stafford should have a great year, and I don't expect a whole lot out of Gore this season. Maybe you could counter offer with your 3rd round pick in 2013. He may not take it, but it never hurts to offer.
mayfijr
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby AngryLionsFAn » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:51 pm

Looks like I'll know more after our draft Tuesday. I talked to 2 of the other league members and they both agreed that I'm giving up too much if I give him my 2nd rd pick. 9 of the 12 teams kept a QB last year so at worst I end up with Matt Ryan.

I replied to the guy proposing the trade and told him I won't give up draft picks so he said we'll talk about it after the draft again then.

I still plan on drafting a QB in the late 2nd or early 3rd anyway since Stafford's past durability still requires a good 2nd option anyway.
AngryLionsFAn
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby MadDog36 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:15 am

Matt Ryan is a lot like the Eli mannings of the league. He might not be liked for the sexy numbers or the issues in the past, but he's quietly put up solid top ten numbers (low end #1 QB) and finally has great weapons. He's the 'sleeper' for QBs go after Brees/Brady/Rodgers/Stafford/Newton. If you do that deal, I would look elsewhere to snag best available for your team or you cna tke Ryan and have serious trade bait.
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 134)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions