10 team, standard yahoo, 5th pick. Please rate, WHIR! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

10 team, standard yahoo, 5th pick. Please rate, WHIR!

Moderator: Football Moderators

10 team, standard yahoo, 5th pick. Please rate, WHIR!

Postby TheManWithGiantBalls » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:23 am

I couldn't strategize since draft order is established just before draft time. I ended up with the dreaded 5th pick. 10-team, QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/K/DST

• 1.5 - Calvin Johnson - With Rodgers and the top RB's off the table, had to go with Megatron. Plus, QB TD's are 4-points and WR TD's are 6-points. If QB's were getting 6 points I might have drafted Brady.
  • 2.16 - DeMarco Murray - With DMC and even more RB's off the table, I needed to grab the best available.
  • 3.25 - Larry Fitzgerald - Risky pick with the QB situation in Arizona. Still, with the top RB's gone, the top QB's gone, I knew everyone was about to go on a run drafting WR so I grabbed the best one available before it started. Indeed, after I picked Fitz - Jennings, Andre Johnson, Cruz, Marshall, Green, Welker, Nicks, and Wallace were picked immediately after. Perhaps I should have taken Jennings or Johnson but Larry's never let me down.
  • 4.36 - Darren Sproles - Needed another RB badly. The only top RB's left at this point were Turner, Martin, Bush. I opted for Sproles who I feel is perfect for the NO offense.
  • 5.45- Aaron Hernandez - Just about everyone had picked a QB already and I knew if I waited one more round I would still get a decent QB so I grabbed the best TE available. With Graham, Gronk, Davis, and Gates off the board, I knew people were going to start scrambling for a TE.
  • 6.56 - Phillip Rivers - It was either him, Matt Ryan, or RGIII. I went with the proven Rivers.
  • 7.65 - Torrey Smith - Needed to get a WR3 and with my other two, I figured I could afford a little bit of a gamble. I like what I've seen of Smith at the end of last year. His attitude, his work ethic, his drive. I'm hoping for a big year from Smith.

With the exception of my Kicker and DST, the rest are bench players.

8.76 - Shonn Greene - Needed some RB insurance.
9.85 - Michael Crabtree
10.96 - Stephen Gostkowski (broke my own rule of waiting to the end for K/DST)
11.105 - Lance Moore
12.116 - Carson Palmer
13.125 - Tony Gonzalez
14.136 - Houston DST
15.145 - Tim Hightower

Still need to let it stew for a bit before I decide what moves I'll need to make. Just glad to have the first one out of the way.
TheManWithGiantBalls
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 10 team, standard yahoo, 5th pick. Please rate, WHIR!

Postby Irish Drunk » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:22 am

Can't argue with Megatron. I've been a big fan of his since his college days and I think he can still get better. He's a phenom.

I like Demarco, just hope he can stay healthy.

Getting Fitz at 3.25 is a steal in my opinion. Your 1-2 punch at WR is unparalleled.

I agree with you on Sproles at that point, but not ready to write off Turner just yet.

Hernandez, agree.

I would have taken Ryan over Rivers here. I'm all over Atlanta players this year.

I don't think you needed to take Torrey Smith here. That is a run first offense and quite frankly I see a down year for him.

Bench
I think you have selected a solid complementary bench. Tony G at 125 is a complete steal he still has it and is in a dynamic offense. I think Hightower is useless you may be better served from a guy like Mike Goodson or Robert Turbin who are probably still on the waiver wire.
Trash Talkin Boozers League Champion 2008 & 2009, Super Bowl Champion 2010
Irish Drunk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheManWithGiantBalls » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:55 am

Thanks ID. You've made me feel better about the team. ;-D

I was thinking much the same as you in regards to Matt Ryan even though I opted for Rivers. Atlanta's going to be slinging the ball all over the place this year.

I was also considering Turner but losing out on the top RBs, I didn't think I could afford the possibility of Turners reps dropping - which is an extension of my belief that Atlanta will be pass heavy.

Admittedy, Torrey Smith was a bit of an emotional pick but I really do think he has what it takes. Having Megatron and Fitzgerald allowed me a little more flexibility in picking a 3rd WR so I took a bit of a gamble. I'm anxious to see how it pans out.
TheManWithGiantBalls
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

(Past Year: 1)

Postby onitapgr » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:28 pm

Yeah, you're biggest weakness is WR3, but I really like the rest of your starters.

You totally shouldn't have taken Gostkowski...resist the urge!

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=515805
onitapgr
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cuffs » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:33 pm

The only "mistake" I see is Rivers over Ryan. Wouldn't be shocked if you wound up playing Palmer more than you would've thought.

I love Torrey Smith as a WR3. First off, with freaking Fitz/CJ as your top 2 WRs, you can afford to have a weaker WR3. More importantly, all reports indicate that (a) Flacco is going to have more leeway in the passing game this year, and (b) Smith has improved his route running and is being used more on some underneath routes to get the ball in his hands on shorter passes so that he can use his speed after the catch to make plays. He was previously mostly just a go-route/post route guy. And he'd get wide open only to be missed. IMO this season has all the makings of a big jump in production for him.

Plus, Crabtree and Lance Moore (with Meachem gone) have the potential to be more productive than projected. You should feel very good about your WRs.

Your backup RBs are a little weak. Murray could easily be a top 10 RB, and Sproles is plenty versatile for an RB2. But Hightower as your 4th RB is not looking good. You might consider grabbing someone like Kendall Hunter now. If people don't know yet, they'll know.

Tony Gonzales is a steal as a backup TE.
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 35)

Return to Roster Ratings