Steven Jackson vs Ryan Matthews - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Steven Jackson vs Ryan Matthews

Moderator: Football Moderators

Steven Jackson vs Ryan Matthews

Postby Broham » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:24 am

Right now ESPN ADP for Steven Jackson and Ryan Matthews is 30 and 31. If you were picking a RB in the 3rd round who would you prefer? The risk/reward of Ryan Matthews or the safety of Steven Jackson?

I just faced this in a draft yesterday and went with Jackson at 3.6 in a standard 10 team. Not sure about the decision.
Broham
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Steven Jackson vs Ryan Matthews

Postby Sex Panther » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:28 am

I would take Mathews personally.

Out of curiousity, where did AP get drafted? MJD? Richardson? Charles?
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Broham » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:31 am

MJD - 2.4
AP - 2.7
Richardson - 4.3
Broham
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LMack » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:39 am

I don't think there is a situation where I could justify taking Steven Jackson over Ryan Mathews.

If this is your RB1, then you probably took a QB or TE early. That QB or TE is "safe", allowing you to swing on the higher upside guy, Mathews.

If this is your RB2, then this pick is not as high stakes. You already have a very talented running back slotted into your roster, and this pick would be an addition to your growing RB core. Again, I'd go Mathews.

I don't think Jackson is a bad pick there, the value is fine, but I prefer Mathews.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby murphysxm » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:45 am

LMack wrote:I don't think there is a situation where I could justify taking Steven Jackson over Ryan Mathews.

If this is your RB1, then you probably took a QB or TE early. That QB or TE is "safe", allowing you to swing on the higher upside guy, Mathews.

If this is your RB2, then this pick is not as high stakes. You already have a very talented running back slotted into your roster, and this pick would be an addition to your growing RB core. Again, I'd go Mathews.

I don't think Jackson is a bad pick there, the value is fine, but I prefer Mathews.

I have nothing to add to this, other than ESPN rankings are crazy off, so don't rely on them too much
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby Sex Panther » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:46 am

Broham wrote:MJD - 2.4
AP - 2.7
Richardson - 4.3

I see both MJD and AP as risker than Mathews.

AP is coming off a knee reconstruction and just started practicing. ACL/MCL is typically a 12 month minimum recovery time, he blew out his knee at the end of December. Why he has consistently been a 2nd round draft pick is beyond me.

MJD is holding out, there has been no indication that either side is budging, he hasn't practiced yet either.

It amazes me that a freak collar bone injury has caused a previously considered top 5 pick (Mathews) to slide so terribly in 3 weeks.

Even if he misses the 1st week or 2 of the season, he's going to get the ball as much as he can handle and is the man in that backfield (which has traditionally churned out remarkable numbers).

Last season the tandem of Mathews/Tolbert combined for 2469 yards rush/rec, 104 catches, 16 TD... more fantasy points than Arian Foster & Ben Tate combined (440.9 vs 438.1 in PPR formats). In standard, Foster/Tate outscored them 384.1 to 342.9...

And it's not like Mathews was a slouch last year (splitting time w/ Tolbert) - 16.9 PPG average (11th best among RB, Tolbert chimed in at 13.6, 20th among RB) in PPR formats.

He played in 14 games.

In standard scoring Mathews was at 13.6 (12th among RB), Tolbert was at 10.2 (26th).

Richardson is another one who was pegged as a late 1st early 2nd round pick a few weeks back, knee injuries are scary, no doubt, so that's a little more concerning than Mathews, but for him to drop to the 4th is insane IMO, especially when a guy like AP is going a round and a 1/2 earlier (Richardson didn't have his knee rebuilt 9 months ago, he had a scope and a clean up).
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Broham » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:09 pm

Sex Panther wrote:
Broham wrote:MJD - 2.4
AP - 2.7
Richardson - 4.3

I see both MJD and AP as risker than Mathews.

AP is coming off a knee reconstruction and just started practicing. ACL/MCL is typically a 12 month minimum recovery time, he blew out his knee at the end of December. Why he has consistently been a 2nd round draft pick is beyond me.

MJD is holding out, there has been no indication that either side is budging, he hasn't practiced yet either.

It amazes me that a freak collar bone injury has caused a previously considered top 5 pick (Mathews) to slide so terribly in 3 weeks.

Even if he misses the 1st week or 2 of the season, he's going to get the ball as much as he can handle and is the man in that backfield (which has traditionally churned out remarkable numbers).

Last season the tandem of Mathews/Tolbert combined for 2469 yards rush/rec, 104 catches, 16 TD... more fantasy points than Arian Foster & Ben Tate combined (440.9 vs 438.1 in PPR formats). In standard, Foster/Tate outscored them 384.1 to 342.9...

And it's not like Mathews was a slouch last year (splitting time w/ Tolbert) - 16.9 PPG average (11th best among RB, Tolbert chimed in at 13.6, 20th among RB) in PPR formats.

He played in 14 games.

In standard scoring Mathews was at 13.6 (12th among RB), Tolbert was at 10.2 (26th).

Richardson is another one who was pegged as a late 1st early 2nd round pick a few weeks back, knee injuries are scary, no doubt, so that's a little more concerning than Mathews, but for him to drop to the 4th is insane IMO, especially when a guy like AP is going a round and a 1/2 earlier (Richardson didn't have his knee rebuilt 9 months ago, he had a scope and a clean up).

I completely agree with AP and MJD being riskier than Mathews. The concern that has stuck in my mind is that out of his 32 games he has been listed as questionable or probable in 15 of them. That makes him one of the most injury prone guys in the league, even before he fractured his clavicle.
Broham
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Broham » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:12 pm

LMack wrote:I don't think there is a situation where I could justify taking Steven Jackson over Ryan Mathews.

I picked 6th overall. With the top 3 RBs and Rodgers/Brady gone, I picked Brees. Then, in the 2nd round got Forte. So my starting backs are Forte/Jackson and started picking WRs in round 4. If I had it to do over though, I am with you guys in picking Mathews. Especially since I already had relative safety in Forte.
Broham
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cuffs » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:01 pm

In a Sunday night draft (10 team league), I got Chris Johnson 8th, Graham 13th, and Steve Smith (Car.) 28th, and Matthews 33rd. SJax was drafted 26th. For all the reasons given in this thread, it goes without saying that I'm pretty pumped to come out of round 4 with CJ2K and Matthews as RB1-RB2, Graham as TE and S.Smith as WR1.

As others have said, lower body tendon/ligament reconstruction is a serious deal. Fractures, especially stress fractures, in the weight bearing bones is a big deal. Rotator cuff injuries can be tricky and are a big deal. A broken bone in a non-weight bearing bone is typically not a big deal. He doesn't even need to miss conditioning while recovering.

Take Matthews anytime after the late 2nd round and don't look back. If he falls to you late 3rd/4th, you are committing a crime and should probably feel guilty about it. :)
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 35)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:33 pm

Ryan Mathews - RB - Chargers

Kevin Acee of the Union-Tribune San Diego believes Ryan Mathews (fractured collarbone) will be held out until Week 3.
Note that Acee is merely answering a question on Twitter here, not reporting. Still, no one has a better handle on the pulse of the Chargers. A Week 3 return would give Mathews six full weeks of recovery time. His original timetable was set at roughly 4-6 weeks. The Chargers won't hesitate to use Mathews as a workhorse back once he's healed. We like him as a second-round value pick.

With this news and Fisher as coach I feel SJax will improve this year vs the past few years. He is looking like a beast in pre season so far Fisher says. Mathews has lost my confidence. I dont like him as a 2nd round value pick. That could cause you to lose the first few weeks in your league which is hard to make up. IF he slips to me in the 3rd id grab him.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Next

Return to Football Talk