9th pick in 14 team league. HELP! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

9th pick in 14 team league. HELP!

Moderator: Football Moderators

9th pick in 14 team league. HELP!

Postby medwa » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:22 pm

This is the first time I've ever played in a 14 team league and i'm stumped on how to go about the draft, which is tomorrow. With RBs so slim this year, I was thinking of going for a solid QB first round to try and trade for a RB. That, or go for Chris Johnson first round. He screwed me last year though, so i'm hesitant.

Any advice is most appreciated.
medwa Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 9th pick in 14 team league. HELP!

Postby SameSongNDance » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:55 am

Never go into a draft thinking you'll be able to trade player A for B or position A for B (especially not QBs) when the draft is over. It's far too risky if you draft around that specific strategy then end up not being able to pull it off your season may fall apart. Also, the odds of CJ falling farther than pick 1.07 are very slim, I would not bank on drafting him. What I would suggest for anything larger than 12-teamers, is to have a better grasp on RB/WR 4's and 5's and sleepers in said positions. All in all, you just need to have a deeper understanding of the later rounds of a draft so you can continue to make value picks. Other than that, follow the draft as you normally would.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby dagnuk » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:21 am

SameSongNDance wrote:Never go into a draft thinking you'll be able to trade player A for B or position A for B (especially not QBs) when the draft is over. It's far too risky if you draft around that specific strategy then end up not being able to pull it off your season may fall apart. Also, the odds of CJ falling farther than pick 1.07 are very slim, I would not bank on drafting him. What I would suggest for anything larger than 12-teamers, is to have a better grasp on RB/WR 4's and 5's and sleepers in said positions. All in all, you just need to have a deeper understanding of the later rounds of a draft so you can continue to make value picks. Other than that, follow the draft as you normally would.

He's right. Drafting-to-trade later is never a good strategy. You end up with no depth at the positions you ignored, and other owners know this, and that means you rarely get full-value for a great QB because he's your "2nd" QB. I used to play in a 14-teamer, and you have to make sure your early picks count. Drafting players you can't start is a great way to ensure you'll be in RB or WR hell by week 5.
dagnuk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic

Postby medwa » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Thanks for your advice, both of you. I guess there's nothing I can really do early except for draft the best available, whatever position that may be.
medwa Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions