Cedric Benson opinions - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Cedric Benson opinions

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cedric Benson opinions

Postby Randaman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:22 pm

I am trying to get opinions on Cedric Benson after signing with the Packers.

My take-

I know the Pack are a pass first team and that won't change. They ran the ball the 6th fewest times last season but clearly weren't confident in any one player. I just remember Ryan Grant's year where he was a fantasy difference(1200 yds 11Td's on 282 carries). Benson had over 1000yds last year on less carries. And with the threat of the Green Bay WR's I think Benson could easily total his last season numbers if he gets the carries. I don't think Benson will be a huge difference maker in fantasy but I tend to think he could be a flex play at least depending on how in shape he is and if he gets the carries. He also signed a one year deal so he might be running hard. Tonight's game should show a little bit.

Anyone got any opinion on how Cedric can do this year?
Hook'em
Randaman
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Cedric Benson opinions

Postby Tayma » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:57 pm

I agree he should put up decent numbers this year but you also have to take into consideration that Starks is still there. And they should still share carries.
Fear the mighty SeaBengal, Half Seahawk Half Bengal. 100% Bad A.
Tayma
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 16)

Re: Cedric Benson opinions

Postby Jason497 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:00 pm

I think he'll be underwhelming, Low-end RB3-RB4.

Alex Green, and if Starks sticks on the roster him too, will see plenty of snaps. John Kuhn is going to continue to vulture 5-6 touchdowns. They throw 70 times a game and Benson isn't much of a receiver at this point of his career.

I've been saying all along he just replaces Ryan Grant in the rotation and won't be much better fantasywise. He's a career 3.8 yard a carry rusher. There's a reason Cincy (and the other 31 NFL Teams) didn't go out of their way to sign this guy despite 3 straight 1000 yard seasons, he's got a diminishing skillset.

One thing that does seperate him from all the other GB tailbacks the last 3 years though is durability, and durability = reliability, and I think that's why he ends up the starter there, though the starter there last season was pretty irrelevant anyway.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions