Michael Vick - Update: signs with Eagles for 2013 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Michael Vick - Update: signs with Eagles for 2013

Moderator: Football Moderators

Michael Vick - Update: signs with Eagles for 2013

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:41 pm

His style of play does lend itself to injury:

Reid will play it safe with Vick
Concern minor about lack of fine-tuning
11:57 PM, Aug 22, 2012
Written by Martin Frank
The News Journal

PHILADELPHIA — Eagles coach Andy Reid has all but admitted that he’ll put the proverbial bubble wrap around Michael Vick for the remaining two preseason games.

Vick suffered a rib contusion in Monday’s game against the Patriots. Tests showed there wasn’t a fracture or cracked cartilage. Reid said Vick could have played if this was the regular season.

But Reid isn’t taking any chances, so Vick won’t play against the Browns on Friday in Cleveland, and he most likely won’t play in the preseason finale against the Jets next Thursday, which the starters typically sit out anyway.

Rookie Nick Foles took all the snaps with the first team during practice Wednesday. Reid said he’ll probably play the first half because the Eagles have only two healthy quarterbacks – Foles and Trent Edwards.

This leaves two burning questions as the Eagles continue to prepare for their regular-season opener on Sept. 9, which also is against the Browns:

Can the offense get ready for the season even though Vick likely will have finished the preseason by taking a total of 12 snaps, going 4 for 7 for 11 yards? In other words, Vick will have as many completions in two weeks as he had X-rays, CT scans and MRIs.

con't...

more: http://www.delawareonline.com/article/2 ... ck_check=1
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Michael Vick

Postby moochman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Wonder if Vicks window is quickly closing? His style of play is shortening seasons and career. If Foles has a good show, will he become the #2, or 1b?
How much longer is Vick signed in Phillie? I know Reid and the Iggles have always shown tremendous loyalty to their QBs, but is Vick's time getting short in Philadelphia?
Just spekulatin' is all.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:04 pm

moochman wrote:Wonder if Vicks window is quickly closing? His style of play is shortening seasons and career. If Foles has a good show, will he become the #2, or 1b?
How much longer is Vick signed in Phillie? I know Reid and the Iggles have always shown tremendous loyalty to their QBs, but is Vick's time getting short in Philadelphia?
Just spekulatin' is all.

Ask and ye shall receive:

/29/2011: Signed a six-year, $100 million contract. The deal contains $35.5 million guaranteed, including a $7 million signing bonus and all of Vick's first- and second-year base salaries and $3 million of his 2013 salary (for injury only). The sixth year voids if Vick participates in 35% of the Eagles' offensive snaps in any of the first five seasons, making the contract more realistically worth $80 million over five years. Another $3 million is available through incentives based on Super Bowl wins in 2011 and 2012, and playing time (77.5% of the regular season snaps). 2011: $10 million (+ $3 million roster bonus), 2012: $12.5 million, 2013: $15.5 million, 2014: $15 million (+ $3 million roster bonus), 2015: $14.5 million (+ $2 million roster bonus), 2016: $20 million (Dummy Year), 2017: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2107/michael-vick
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:10 pm

So next year could be his last. If he stays healthy long enough. Thanks Stomp

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:42 am

After hits on and off field, Vick still unfazed
September 26, 2012, 3:44 pm
Michael Vick has a passer rating of 66.3 this season.

The poster that hangs on the wall adjacent to Michael Vick’s locker is almost as prophetic as it is misplaced.

On the display are etchings that detail the type of aggressive tackles and approaches that are now outlawed by the NFL, a reminder of the league’s staunch commitment to eradicating the Wild West tackling that was once rampant throughout the league.

A more beneficial location would be where defensive players dress, but as the hit toll on the Eagles’ quarterback has risen to somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 after just three games, perhaps the poster is another reminder for Vick of the perils of hanging onto the ball too long.

Judging by his response to questions about slow blitz recognition and his ability to withstand this type of punishment for 16 games, the message doesn’t seem to sinking in.

“It feels good,” Vick said when asked how his body felt the day after he absorbed at least 20 hits by the Cardinals’ defense. “I’m still standing upright.”

Sounds like famous last words sure to be scribbled on a white board somewhere up the Turnpike at the Giants practice facility.

con't...

more: http://www.csnphilly.com/football-phila ... feedID=692
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:54 pm

Posted: Mon, Oct. 29, 2012, 1:08 AM
Vick hints he could be replaced after Eagles fall to Falcons
BY LES BOWEN
Daily News Staff Writer

MICHAEL VICK wasn't why the Eagles lost to the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday, but given the way the season has gone, somehow it made sense that Vick put himself on the hot seat afterward.

"Obviously he's thinking about making a change at the quarterback position," Vick said of Eagles coach Andy Reid. "The thing I do know, and I'll go watch the film and evaluate myself, is that I'm giving us every opportunity to win. I'm trying my hardest. Some things don't go right, when I want them to, some things do. So if that's a decision that coach wants to make, then I support it."

News flash, Mike: The change fans are looking for this morning, in the wake of that 30-17 beating, is not the QB, so much. Think higher.

When Reid was asked about Vick, Reid said he would "go back and look at everything. I'm not going to sit here and make [rash] decisions. I'm going to go back and look at it and analyze it."

Why would Vick presume he's about to be replaced, on the day the Birds' defense dissolved into chaos, allowing scores on the Falcons' first six possessions, giving the offense no chance? Well, hey, Reid fired defensive coordinator Juan Castillo when the offense was 31st in scoring and was turning the ball over nearly three times a game, so, why not change QBs, after Vick managed to avoid a turnover for only the second time all season?

con't...

more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eag ... lcons.html
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Michael Vick signs with Eagles for '13
Updated: February 11, 2013, 4:26 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

The Philadelphia Eagles re-signed Michael Vick on Monday to a one-year deal for the 2013 season, the team announced. Vick could make as much as $10 million next season, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

This contract replaces the six-year, $100 million contract Vick signed in 2011 and he now is scheduled to be a free agent after next season.

"He wanted to be here," new Eagles head coach Chip Kelly said Monday in his first meeting with the media following his opening news conference on Jan. 17. "I had never met him before. The one thing that attracted me to him is Michael is a competitor. Nick is, too. You want guys who want to compete."

In a statement, Vick said he was "grateful and proud" to be with the Eagles.

"My heart is in Philly and this community is important to me. I look forward to playing for Coach Kelly, [owner] Jeffrey Lurie and the entire Eagles organization, the city of Philadelphia and the fans. I am training hard this offseason and will be ready for Coach Kelly's team vision and leadership. Our goal is to win," he said.

Vick, who turns 33 in June, passed for 2,362 yards, 12 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in 10 games last season, his fourth with the Eagles.

con't...

more: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/89362 ... hia-eagles
stomperrob

Re: Michael Vick - Update: signs with Eagles for 2013

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu May 16, 2013 8:24 pm

Michael Vick said he didn't run as much last season due to coaching philosophy.

The Andy Reid regime didn't want Vick to get hurt, so they called few designed runs and encouraged him to stay in the pocket. The problem is that Vick is a below-average thrower. New coach Chip Kelly promises to use Vick's best asset, his legs, far more often. Assuming he holds onto the starting job, Vick won't have trouble eclipsing last year's averages of 6.2 rushes for 33.2 yards per game.

I actually think he is more likely to get injured staying in the pocket because you cant see the hits and they come from much bigger guys. When he runs at least he can see where the hits are coming from. I believe this will keep him from getting hurt and make him much more effective.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Re: Michael Vick - Update: signs with Eagles for 2013

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:18 am

Eagles' QB verdict could swing many directions
Jun. 1, 2013 |
Written Martin Frank
The News Journal

The intrigue over the Eagles starting quarterback will likely last well into the summer and possibly right up until the days before the season opener Sept. 9.

In the meantime, Michael Vick, Nick Foles and perhaps rookie Matt Barkley will continue to compete for the coveted job. Eagles coach Chip Kelly has basically split the first-team reps evenly among Vick and Foles as the Eagles head into their final organized team activities this week before adjourning until training camp in late July. Barkley has gotten the majority of his reps with the third team.

Vick is the veteran who’ll turn 33 this summer. He is the best running quarterback of the three. But Foles has shown a quicker release and better decision making during his seven-game audition last season under previous coach Andy Reid.

Barkley had a prolific career at Southern Cal, but his arm strength has been questioned, and his draft stock plummeted until the Eagles picked him to start the fourth round. Is he as good as the more than 12,000 yards he threw for at USC? Or is he a mediocre quarterback with a damaged shoulder?

We’ll find out soon enough. For now, Vick said he expects to win the job.

con't...

more: http://www.delawareonline.com/article/2 ... s?gcheck=1
stomperrob

Return to Football Talk