Joe Flacco Top 7 - 10 QB - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Joe Flacco Top 7 - 10 QB

Moderator: Football Moderators

Joe Flacco Top 7 - 10 QB

Postby ravendan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:39 pm

This could be the sleeper pick of the year. The Ravens are finally taking the handcuff off of Flacco and the offense. They are running no huddle now where Flacco controls the game. The offense is now being influenced by Jim Caldwell, who did an ok job with a guy named Payton Manning. The Ravens finally have the recievers to stretch the field with Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones on the outside as well as Anquan Boldin, Dickson and pitta the tight ends. They have 2 explosive young players also, laquan williams and Deonte Thompson. As well as Rice and their new back up running back Rainey who has been doing alot of catching the ball as well. This is Flacco's fifth year and he could skyrocket the same way Eli Manning did last year. Why not take him as your back up QB and be ready if he does turn into this years Eli.... here is what some national media have been saying....

Prediction: 'Stud' Flacco Becomes Elite This Year

Quarterback Joe Flacco put on a show for spectators in just 2 ½ quarters of play last night, and NFL analyst Ross Tucker of ESPN and SiriusXM NFL Radio wanted to make sure everyone understood what they were seeing.

“Flacco is a total stud,” Tucker tweeted after Flacco finished his work. “If U don't see that by now I can't help U. [Arizona coach Ken] Whisenhunt would cut off his pinkie for Flacco.”

Flacco went 27-of-36 for 266 yards, two touchdowns, one interception and a 102.3 quarterback rating. The numbers were clearly impressive, but it’s just the latest evidence of something bigger happening.

When talking with Flacco’s coaches and teammates, CBSSports.com’s Jason La Canfora said the message he gets is always the same: “The days of Flacco being a talk-radio whipping boy, or subject of national debate, were over.

“He is evolving into an elite quarterback.”

As such, La Canfora said the time to sign Flacco to a contract extension is now. If the Ravens wait any longer, his price tag could skyrocket. Sources told the NFL Insider that the two sides have made considerable progress, but they haven’t been able to finalize things with the season opener around the corner.

“[T]he Ravens have an impeccable record of retaining, and rewarding, their best young talent. Don't risk spending more down the line. Don't risk Flacco sitting out all of the next offseason, a la Drew Brees, while on the franchise tag. Do it now,” La Canfora wrote.

“I'm not one to go too gaga over any preseason performance, but if Flacco looks anything in the real games as he did tonight in carving up what was a strong Jaguars defense in 2011, then no one will begrudge him being paid like a top 10 quarterback.”
ravendan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Joe Flacco Top 7 - 10 QB

Postby Dolfan19 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:24 pm

He is looking really good this preseason. I agree he is looking like one of the top qb2s this year and has a good shot at top 12, but I think him finishing #7 or 8 is kind of a longshot.
Dolfan19
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 53)

Postby SameSongNDance » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Although I agree he's looked damn good in the no-huddle, I think finishing 7th or 8th is a long shot with some of the talent out there. It is however, a possibility. What this really is though, is a testament to how deep the position is going to be this year. I'm not saying to rely on Flacco but there's just so many potential starters it's mind boggling.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby ngub12 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:14 am

I just cannot see Flacco cracking the 7-10 range whatsoever. First, there are too many solid options that would have to falter for this to occur. Quickly, do you think he can out-perform: brady, brees, arod, cam, stafford, ryan, romo, eli, peyton, rivers, vick, cutler.

Thats 12 qbs right there. I honestly can't see him finishing higher than really any of those guys, and I have a couple reasons for this. First, they are on a run first team-- no surpise there with that defense. Second, flacco hardly has a multitude of offensive weapons capable of cracking the top 10. Third, and most importantly in my mind, his O-Coordinator is Cam Cameron. Seriously, go look at the Brees's stats when he was with the Chargers (and Cameron was the o-coordinator). The guy rarely attempted enough passes to even close to crack respectable fantasy numbers.

I think as long as cameron is the o-coord in baltimore, his presence will continue to hinder the ravens passing game to a significant regard. Hes not on my short list of sleepers for these reasons.
ngub12
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby ravendan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:24 am

My personal prediction for the top 10 qbs to finnish the year will be this:
Brady
Romo
Brees
Cutler
Rodgers
Flacco
Eli
Peyton
Ryan

I think some defenses will catch up somwhat to stafford and cam, vick cannot stay healthy
But you don't have to draft him in front of any of these people you can grab him late, that's the key, like eli last year or rodgers the year before, palmers brerakot year comes to mind as well.

As far as their defense, they will still be good don't get me wong but they will miss suggs and upshae has yet to establish himself as an elite pass rusher. Combined with the amount of top tier qbs they will face they are going to give up some points.

As far as cam I agree with you he has hindered the passing game the last few years bt it seems like his hand is being foirced by harbaugh with caldwell coming in and flaccos development.

You still don't have to buy in completely, hedge your bets with a romo, cutler, ryan etc.... Jmo
ravendan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby NikkiSixx » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:50 am

ravendan wrote:My personal prediction for the top 10 qbs to finnish the year will be this:
Brady
Romo
Brees
Cutler
Rodgers
Flacco
Eli
Peyton
Ryan

I think some defenses will catch up somwhat to stafford and cam, vick cannot stay healthy
But you don't have to draft him in front of any of these people you can grab him late, that's the key, like eli last year or rodgers the year before, palmers brerakot year comes to mind as well.

As far as their defense, they will still be good don't get me wong but they will miss suggs and upshae has yet to establish himself as an elite pass rusher. Combined with the amount of top tier qbs they will face they are going to give up some points.

As far as cam I agree with you he has hindered the passing game the last few years bt it seems like his hand is being foirced by harbaugh with caldwell coming in and flaccos development.

You still don't have to buy in completely, hedge your bets with a romo, cutler, ryan etc.... Jmo

I disagree completely on Stafford and I have him 4th behind Rodgers, Brady, and Brees. I think Phil Rivers is being underestimated this season big time. I think RIvers is one of the best (if not the best) value pick in all of fantasy football this year.

Cam Newton will still have his fair share of rushing TD's, which will keep in the top 10. I think 14 is a little high, but I think 8 or 9 rushing TD's is a fair estimate.
Go Bills!
NikkiSixx
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SameSongNDance » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:16 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:
ravendan wrote:My personal prediction for the top 10 qbs to finnish the year will be this:
Brady
Romo
Brees
Cutler
Rodgers
Flacco
Eli
Peyton
Ryan

Agree totally with Rivers. He hasn't not cracked the top 10 since 2009, he's extremely consistent.

I disagree completely on Stafford and I have him 4th behind Rodgers, Brady, and Brees. I think Phil Rivers is being underestimated this season big time. I think RIvers is one of the best (if not the best) value pick in all of fantasy football this year.

Cam Newton will still have his fair share of rushing TD's, which will keep in the top 10. I think 14 is a little high, but I think 8 or 9 rushing TD's is a fair estimate.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:54 am

ngub12 wrote:I just cannot see Flacco cracking the 7-10 range whatsoever. First, there are too many solid options that would have to falter for this to occur. Quickly, do you think he can out-perform: brady, brees, arod, cam, stafford, ryan, romo, eli, peyton, rivers, vick, cutler.

Thats 12 qbs right there. I honestly can't see him finishing higher than really any of those guys, and I have a couple reasons for this. First, they are on a run first team-- no surpise there with that defense. Second, flacco hardly has a multitude of offensive weapons capable of cracking the top 10. Third, and most importantly in my mind, his O-Coordinator is Cam Cameron. Seriously, go look at the Brees's stats when he was with the Chargers (and Cameron was the o-coordinator). The guy rarely attempted enough passes to even close to crack respectable fantasy numbers.

I think as long as cameron is the o-coord in baltimore, his presence will continue to hinder the ravens passing game to a significant regard. Hes not on my short list of sleepers for these reasons.

I think he will likely outgun romo, vick, and cutler, and my possibly be in the same area as the manning boys, maybe situated right between them come end of season.

However, you bring up an interesting point with Cameron. The word on the wires has been that Flacco will be given control of the reigns, and if that is so, then cameron's influence might not have as much of a drain on his stats. But, if they start the season not doing well offensively, look for cameron's influence to be greater.
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 436)

Postby ravendan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:40 pm

Through the first quarter of the season (the Monday night game notwithstanding) Flacco is ranked #6 in fantasy points per game. The guys ahead of him... RG3, Ryan, Big Ben, Brees and Fitzpatrick. Only one guy who was a "surefire" first round choice in the top 5. You don't see the next guy , Mr. Brady until #12. Now this could change as the year goes on, but Flacco just seems to be improving game by game and the Ravens are now a pass first team with proven weapons all over the field in Torrey Smith, Boldin, Rice and Pitta and now Jacoby Jones is turning into the player he was drafted to be by Houston. The differnence is Flacco is a much better QB than Schaub. It actually seems like the original prediction of 7-10 was not high enough. Flacco is actually #3 in total yards behind only Brees and Eli (who had the one 500 yard game). TD's Flacco is tied with a bunch of guys with 7 scores. Good for 7th among QB's. If you were smart enough to grab this guy at late in your draft you have a big time QB going forward for cheap. If he is still available or you can trade for him, I say go for it.
ravendan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby stomperrob » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:16 pm

...and where will he rank salary-wise after winning the Super Bowl???

Joe Flacco, Ravens reportedly will start contract talks
By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer
Published: Feb. 11, 2013 at 09:15 a.m.
Updated: Feb. 11, 2013 at 01:25 p.m

The Baltimore Ravens will take their first step in trying to keep impending free agent Joe Flacco away from the teams that reportedly have been clamoring for his services. According to a report Monday by SI.com's Peter King, Ravens chief negotiator Pat Moriarty will meet with Flacco's agent this week to jumpstart negotiations on a long-term contract.

The Ravens' goal should be to avoid the franchise tag at all costs. King espouses a theory that the team might be confident enough to eschew the salary-cap prohibitive exclusive-rights tag, which could in turn entice a quarterback-needy team to front-load an offer the Ravens can't match.

It's a scenario that is hard to imagine after general manager Ozzie Newsome recently acknowledged the importance of a franchise quarterback to a football executive's success and job security. As Atlanta Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff once said, "Until you find your quarterback, the search for him consumes you."

If contract talks hit a snag, the Ravens have until March 4 to utilize the exclusive-rights tag. Although that option will ensure no other team can negotiate with Flacco, the roughly $20 million guaranteed salary would play havoc with the 2013 salary cap.

If Flacco doesn't agree to a long-term deal that's cap friendly for the next couple of years, the implications are severe. It could mean losing free-agent pass rusher Paul Kruger, emerging inside linebacker Dannell Ellerbe, and/or future Hall of Fame safety Ed Reed.

con't...

more: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ract-talks
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Return to Football Talk