Ryan Mathews - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ryan Mathews

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ryan Mathews

Postby JimiRayThunderaxe » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:27 am

And so begins the 2012 evil voodoo of Norv Turner:

Ryan Mathews will be sidelined 4-6 weeks with a broken clavicle sustained early in Thursday's preseason opener.
Despite a litany of minor injuries over two seasons, coach Norv Turner had expressed the utmost confidence in Mathews' ability to take a pounding as a workhorse back. Durability concerns reared their ugly head after just one carry in the first exhibition game. Mathews will undergo surgery Friday. In a best-case scenario, he could return just in time for the season opener. Regardless, his early-season workload will have to be scaled back. Turner insists his "hopes" for Mathews have not changed and still expects "a great year." As do we, with the obvious durability caveat. The savvy owner will pounce once Mathews' ADP plummets over the next few days. Ronnie Brown is next up on the depth chart.
JimiRayThunderaxe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 30)
Home Cafe: Football

Ryan Mathews: broken collar bone 4-6 weeks

Postby Sex Panther » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:39 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mathews-br ... --nfl.html

Generally viewed as the number 4 RB heading into the season. Mathews broke his collar bone on his 1st carry of the pre-season.

Expected to miss 4-6 weeks.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Re: Ryan Mathews: broken collar bone 4-6 weeks

Postby murphysxm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:54 am

So, I would formally like to start the back peddling process as I have been a loud supporter of the Matthews #4 fan club. I believe the term I am looking for is - "My bad"
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 222)

Postby petedog9 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:47 am

I carry... I hit.. down for the count... 4-6 weeks...OUCH!

What are they going to do for a running game? Ronnie Brown is 30 and can't get out of his own way. Cedric Benson? Who else is out there? This trickles down to the Chargers passing game. Gates, Rivers, Brown all should see an increase in production. They are going to have to throw the rock even more now...
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby JimiRayThunderaxe » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:02 am

The original title of this thread was "The jinx of Norv Turner begins" (or something close to that).
Not a big deal, but I am confused why this was deemed offensive to the point of being changed. Honestly, making light of the Fantasy Football grief has inflicted on me and thousands of others is part of the Fun of posting here. Seriously, apologies if I offended anyone but I don't think that necessaries a title change.

Anyway: No backpedaling here! I posted a thread a month ago stating that I was very hesitant about drafting Mathews due to stud Chargers crushing fantasy teams on Norv's watch and lo and behold, on the first carry no less!, Mathews goes down.

The Jinx is on.

I am surprised Norv used his shiny new voodoo doll on the first preseason snap.
JimiRayThunderaxe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 30)

Postby LMack » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:36 am

murphysxm wrote:So, I would formally like to start the back peddling process as I have been a loud supporter of the Matthews #4 fan club. I believe the term I am looking for is - "My bad"

This.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:53 am

Jimi it looks like your thread was merged with another thread. Web hammy has special rules about what Title to use and it looks like it picked up the other thread's. Your OP still has your title.

It can say Norv jinx or whatever you want, jus have matthewS in the title so we know who we're talkin bout.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby petedog9 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:23 am

Heres the $50,000 question..... So where does Matthews get drafted now? He was going between #4 and #8 oerall as an ADP. Is he a late seond rounder now or fall even farther?
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dawinner127 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:37 am

petedog9 wrote:Heres the $50,000 question..... So where does Matthews get drafted now? He was going between #4 and #8 oerall as an ADP. Is he a late seond rounder now or fall even farther?

Off my radar completely. I was extremely high on him too, such a bummer :-t

The Chargers definitely have to be looking at the FAa out there right now. Like someone else stated, Ronnie Brown is not the answer as a full time back. Cedric Benson?
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby Sex Panther » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:38 am

I hope he (and Richardson) goes into a free fall ADP wise.

People are still draft AP in the 2nd round - he blew out his knee week 16, ACL/MCL - typically a 1 year recovery time (at best).

Mathews broke his collar bone (a bit fluky), Colston did the same thing last year and missed 1 or 2 games.

Nabbing Mathews (or Richardson for that matter) anywhere past pick 20 is grand larceny IMO.

I know in 1 league I'm in where I'm drafting 1st (out of 12), I'm drooling at the prospect of landing Foster 1, Mathews 24, and Richardson 25...

As long as neither guy (Mathews or Richardson) suffers a set back between now and week 1, there are 2 of the precieved pre-season RB1's to be had for pennies on the original dollar.

Say Mathews (and/or Richardson) misses the 1st 2 games, you still get him for the remaining slate. If you are fortunate enough to land either guy as an RB2 (or 3) IMO, you are absolutely golden.

My 2 cents
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager