Ryan Mathews - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ryan Mathews

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ryan Mathews: broken collar bone 4-6 weeks

Postby murphysxm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:48 am

Sex Panther wrote:Say Mathews (and/or Richardson) misses the 1st 2 games, you still get him for the remaining slate. If you are fortunate enough to land either guy as an RB2 (or 3) IMO, you are absolutely golden.

My 2 cents

I'm targeting him early round 3. He probably will miss more time later in the year, but he could be a stud come play off time and that's what it is all about
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 222)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cuffs » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:55 am

IMO, his value definitely plummets. I agree that Matthews is worth a very late 2nd round pick IF you already have another good RB1. But IMO he's nowhere near a first round pick anymore. He was being drafted as a top 5 RB. Getting him at 24th as your second RB is high risk/high reward, but much lower risk if you've already got Foster because with a Tate handcuff you are guaranteed a top 5 RB either way.

IMO, Matthews' biggest problem is he has no decent handcuff. I don't believe in handcuffing at all positions but to me handcuffing your top RB pick is key, and I'd much rather draft a slightly lesser RB1 who has a very good handcuff than a more talented RB1 without a handcuff. So I'd rather have MJD/Jennings, Charles/Hillis or McFadden/Goodson (who is debatable but has shown he can produce OK with carries) rather than a Matthews/Ronnie Brown. Hell, I'd probably prefer Steven Jackson/Pead to Matthews and nobody because you have insurance against the risk of injury with Jackson, not with Matthews.

If you believe that fantasy football is won in the middle round picks, and the early picks are for lower risk, dependible players (as I tend to believe), then I don't see how you can take Matthews anywhere in the top 20 and you're rolling the dice with him as your top RB, especially if you don't pick other RBs in the top 3 rounds. Two days ago I would've taken him at pick 4. Not no mo.
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 35)

Postby GeneralTsou » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:18 pm

I have pick 6 in a 12-team PPR with 6 pts for ALL TDs. I was set on taking Mathews at 6 but not after last night. I plan to take Chris Johnson at 6 and hope Mathews is still there at 19. Otherwise I would take Julio Jones, Welker, or Sproles at 19.
12-team PPR

QB: Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick
RB: Jamaal Charles, Darren Sproles, Knowshon Moreno, Montee Ball
WR: Jordy Nelson, Larry Fitzgerald, Vincent Jackson, Cecil Shorts, Justin Blackmon
TE: Martellus Bennett
K: Mason Crosby
D/ST: Cleveland
GeneralTsou
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby stomperrob » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:33 pm

The pic in SD is clear as mud - even before this injury Norv was singing Brown's praises and and saying how good he looked in camp. Undrafted rookie Michael Hayes has really outshone 7th round pick Edwin Baker in camp - in last night's game Hayes had 6 carries for 10 yards. Curtis Brinkley saw the most work last night with 11 carries for 42 yards. Jackie Battle is also in the mix but he's viewed more as a special teamer. Fullbacks Hester and McClain also figure in there somewhere.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby petedog9 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:55 pm

Just to squash the Ced Benson talk...

Coach Norv Turner stated Friday that the Chargers have no plans to add a free agent running back following Ryan Mathews' broken collarbone.
The Chargers anticipate Mathews returning sooner rather than later, and they're opting to stay the course with Jackie Battle, Curtis Brinkley, and a couple of rookies behind Ronnie Brown. Cedric Benson and Ryan Grant are the two best backs left on the free agent market. Benson probably only would have made sense for San Diego if they were expecting Mathews to miss a month or longer.
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:20 pm

I'm sure the Bolts will wait for the cuts to be made and see if they are comfy with some offcast. Unfortunately for Benson there seems to have been a shift to a bunch of mediocre RBs is better than one talented cast off. Would be a fantastic place for he or Ryan Grant to end up.
As for Ryan, glad I didn't draft him. As a Lions' fan I clearly remember the flukey collarbone injury suffered by Charles Rogers, and then the second break the next season. Nah, too much risk for me.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Wood Chipper » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:29 pm

Ok I have a few LOL's

LOL number 1 - Thrifty in my dynasty league is a powerhouse with an amazing team... that includes Mathews.

LOL number 2 - The Chargers got rid of Tolbert

LOL number 3 - Cedric Benson is looking at joining the Packers, so no Cedric for them

LOL number 4 - They can have Ryan Grant!
Wooden Icicles PPR (Horse Traders Dynasty)
Wood Chipper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:37 pm

Wood Chipper wrote:LOL number 1 - Thrifty in my dynasty league is a powerhouse with an amazing team... that includes Mathews.

There should be a Beware of Dog sign hanging out front of any Cafe league thrifty is in.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Wood Chipper » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:59 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Wood Chipper wrote:LOL number 1 - Thrifty in my dynasty league is a powerhouse with an amazing team... that includes Mathews.

There should be a Beware of Dog sign hanging out front of any Cafe league thrifty is in.

He has built a powerhouse
Wooden Icicles PPR (Horse Traders Dynasty)
Wood Chipper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby stomperrob » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:07 pm

Wood Chipper wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:

He has built a powerhouse

All we need is for him to lose about 5-6 more studs and we can put him in his place this year! :-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk