ESPN Keeper Settings.. Please help :-/ - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

ESPN Keeper Settings.. Please help :-/

Moderator: Football Moderators

ESPN Keeper Settings.. Please help :-/

Postby CRWeaks23 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm the commish entering into year #2 of a somewhat simple keeper league, and I have agreed to a specific set of keeper rules with my members:

• 2 players can be kept from one year to the next
  • Each kept player assumes the pick taken in the previous year's draft, minus one round. E.g: A round 5 becomes a round 4 in the first year kept, round 3 in second year, etc.
  • Players can be kept for a maximum of 3 years (four years of ownership). Trades retain the 3 year limit and do not reset with a new owner.
  • Round 1 players cannot be kept the following season. This means a round 2 player can only be kept for one year, as they will be bumped to a round one the following year.

We chose to use ESPN, but as I go through the league settings, I'm a bit worried that there is no way of following the above rules without doing an offline draft - something that really isn't a great option with less than 2 weeks until the season. It seems like the only way to use keepers in ESPN is to allow owners to keep 2 players at no cost and then start the normal snake draft with those players removed from the pool.

Does anyone have advice on how I can go about implementing these rules using ESPN??

Thank you all for the help in advance.
CRWeaks23
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: ESPN Keeper Settings.. Please help :-/

Postby Hags888 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:23 pm

My other league (that I don't manage) does a 2-keeper system in ESPN. You can keep up to two players and then forfeit your 1st and 2nd round picks in the draft to do so. The keepers are optional though, so if you don't have any players worth a 1st or 2nd round pick (or just don't want to keep anyone), then you can forfeit your keepers and draft in rounds 1 and 2 instead. It works out pretty well, and most teams keep their two best players from the previous year. We then do a snake re-draft starting in round 3.

I haven't figured out why the round a player was drafted in the previous year matters at all if the majority of a team is being re-drafted.
SKOL VIKINGS!
Hags888
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 4)

Postby CRWeaks23 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:36 pm

Thanks for the reply, Hags.

Previous year's draft order makes finding diamonds in the rough more profitable. It also makes you think a bit harder about who you keep (value of player vs value of the pick they will consume). Also, preventing round 1 players from being kept from year to year ensures the first couple of rounds will always have solid players to draft.

There's nothing wrong with using the ESPN format, but it makes a keeper league kind of mundane. Everyone just keeps the top projected draft picks and goes about their day... there's really no thought behind it.

For anyone interested in how I solved this problem, I'm simply turning off keepers completely and manually assigning keepers in the appropriate draft slot for each player as their turn comes up. The commish (myself) should have the ability to undo invalid picks, which makes this possible. It may make for a frustrating experience, but we'll see. Draft is tonight, I'm open to sharing how it worked out afterwards if anyone is interested.
CRWeaks23
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby bigmck » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:51 am

Yes, I would be interested in know how it turns out. == Run by again exactly how you are going to do the Draft when skipping Rounds. Thanks,
bigmck
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CRWeaks23 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:05 pm

One huge plus ESPN has is the commish powers it grants during the draft (if other sites have this ability, I'd like to know in case we switch next year...)

Each team selects their keepers well in advance of the draft. Once teams have selected their keepers, all teams are given a list of keepers selected by the league that they are NOT ALLOWED TO DRAFT, unless it's their keeper, and in the correct round. If a player is drafted incorrectly, the commissioner must undo the pick.

Note that if anyone is a no-show for the draft, it can complicate things for the commish, because autopicking for them is impossible (ESPN will continuously pick the keepers that don't belong on that team). Be prepared for a frustrating evening as you manually autopick for any teams that don't show up.

I did not love running the draft this way, it was a huge distraction for myself, and it was confusing to see "unpickable" players in the list. This made for a longer draft than normal, and I had to undo a lot of picks in the beginning rounds. I'm still looking for a better solution, but this got the job done.
CRWeaks23
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Commissioner's Corner