3rd Pick - Who To Target in 2nd/3rd? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

3rd Pick - Who To Target in 2nd/3rd?

Moderator: Football Moderators

3rd Pick - Who To Target in 2nd/3rd?

Postby JRM4833 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:36 am

I'm a little behind on my draft research and am hoping for a little help as I start my first draft of the year, this one an email draft over the course of this week. With my 1st pick, I'll be taking Rice or McCoy and honestly don't have a huge preference of one or the other. For my 2nd and 3rd pick, however, I'm unsure the best direction to go. Do I need to go with a QB with one of these picks? My league generally sees QBs fly off the board quick so I'm skeptical that anyone worthy will be sitting there at 22 (maybe Cam Newton, not much interest in Eli at that spot). I think a WR is absolutely necessary at that spot so I expect to go with best available and hope that someone like Wallace or Welker are sitting there. I really don't love the RBs I'm seeing around that spot but need to be realistic.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Scoring rules are below.

1 point for every 20 Passing Yards (0.05 per)
2 points for every 2 Pt Conversion Passing
4 points for every Passing TD
4 extra points for every Passing TD of 80 or more yards
2 extra points for every Passing TD between 40 and 79 yards (inclusive)
-2 points for every Interception

Rushing
1 point for every 10 Rushing Yards (0.1 per)
2 points for every 2 Pt Conversion Rushing
6 points for every Rushing TD
4 extra points for every Rushing TD of 80 or more yards
2 extra points for every Rushing TD between 40 and 79 yards (inclusive)

Receiving
1 point for every 10 Receiving Yards (0.1 per)
2 points for every 2 Pt Conversion Receiving
6 points for every Receiving TD
4 extra points for every Receiving TD of 80 or more yards
2 extra points for every Receiving TD between 40 and 79 yards (inclusive)
When in doubt, punt!

- John Heisman -

JRM4833
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 3rd Pick - Who To Target in 2nd/3rd?

Postby mjpayne44 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:52 am

I would target RBs/WRs & perhaps Graham/Gronk IF they drop. With 4 pts for passing TDs, value for QBs is a little less. With that set up, I'd be happy to have a QB like Ryan or Rivers in the 5th round or so. In my recent draft, I waiting until the 6th round to get Rivers. But honestly, it's who you feel comfortable with at QB. If you don't feel so great with having a top 10-12 QB, then you may have to take a backup QB not long after. Or you can just wait it out and see if anyone like Stafford happens to fall to you in the 2nd/3rd round.
mjpayne44
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby JRM4833 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:23 pm

mjpayne44 wrote:I would target RBs/WRs & perhaps Graham/Gronk IF they drop. With 4 pts for passing TDs, value for QBs is a little less. With that set up, I'd be happy to have a QB like Ryan or Rivers in the 5th round or so. In my recent draft, I waiting until the 6th round to get Rivers. But honestly, it's who you feel comfortable with at QB. If you don't feel so great with having a top 10-12 QB, then you may have to take a backup QB not long after. Or you can just wait it out and see if anyone like Stafford happens to fall to you in the 2nd/3rd round.

Thanks. If Stafford or either TE fall to me, I would grab them. My gut tells me they won't but stranger things have happened. Thanks for the opinioni mj.
When in doubt, punt!

- John Heisman -

JRM4833
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:30 pm

JRM4833 wrote:
mjpayne44 wrote:I would target RBs/WRs & perhaps Graham/Gronk IF they drop. With 4 pts for passing TDs, value for QBs is a little less. With that set up, I'd be happy to have a QB like Ryan or Rivers in the 5th round or so. In my recent draft, I waiting until the 6th round to get Rivers. But honestly, it's who you feel comfortable with at QB. If you don't feel so great with having a top 10-12 QB, then you may have to take a backup QB not long after. Or you can just wait it out and see if anyone like Stafford happens to fall to you in the 2nd/3rd round.

Thanks. If Stafford or either TE fall to me, I would grab them. My gut tells me they won't but stranger things have happened. Thanks for the opinioni mj.

See, you know what your doing. I can tell.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions