Alfred Morris - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Alfred Morris

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Alfred Morris

Postby BurtReynoldz » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:37 am

The thing that everyone is missing is that Shanahan only really makes massive switches due to injury - and unlike many other coaches, he won't go back to the previous "premier" back after he's healed. I can't find the original post (BigH0rt referenced it), but this is a little breakdown of recent years.

"2007: 1st year in a while that Shanahan hadn't produced a 1,000 yard rusher. I believe injuries or possibly a drug related type of suspension for Travis Henry?
2008: Shanahan's last year in Denver. Shanahan couldn't keep an RB healthy to save his life. The Travis Henry suspension might have come here. Either way, Shanny must have had 6 RBs who had between 30-70 carries and all of them fell to injury at one time or another.
2 Year Hiatus...
2010: Torain was getting workhorse type of carries on his way to 1,000 yards and...you guessed it, another injury derailed that.
2011: Drafts Helu, Royster, and trades for Hightower. That to me comes across as a "#### this, I'm fixing this problem once and for all" type of offseason. Most talented stable he's had in years. Hightower gets workhorse carries early in the year and was touted by many as one of the biggest steals of the fantasy season and then....he gets injured. Later in the season Helu gets workhorse carries, starts putting up monster numbers and...you guessed it again, he gets injured. Royster then finishes the year on a high note, making the most out of his workhorse carries.
2012: Hightower still recovering from ACL, Helu has whatever the hell he has in both of his achilles so Shanny gives the nod to Royster b/c of how he finished 2011 and surprise...he gets sidelined by a knee injury. Enter Alfred Morris."

Look at the Denver running backs prior to 2007. 1000 yard rushers every year. Yeah, it might be that one guy was tagged as the starter in preseason, then gets injured and someone else eclipses him, but this whole "Shanahan just puts in whoever the voices in his head tell him to" thing is false. Unless Morris gets hurt and/or becomes completely ineffective, he'll keep playing.
QB: T. Brady
WR: B. Marshall, J. Nelson, K. Britt, D. Heyward-Bey
RB: M. Turner, A. Morris, J. Stewart, P. Thomas, A. Brown
TE: J. Witten, F. Davis
K: Whoever
DST: Matchups
BurtReynoldz
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:13 am

Here's an old thread regarding how Shanahan uses his RB's:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=237778&p=1646804&hilit=Terrell+Davis+Shanahan#p1646804
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby petedog9 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:38 pm

Dawinner127 wrote:
Gibbs Baby!!! wrote:
petedog9 wrote:Not sure how long you have been playing fantasy but this was not an urban myth. He earned the nickname "The Rat" as a result.

Since you've been doing this for a while, the name Terrell Davis must ring a bell then?

I'm not saying that Alfie is TD, or at his level, but there is a chance. If Shanahan likes what he sees, he'll stick to it. If he doesn't, then he won't. So far, it looks like Morris has impressed him enough to be the starter. I think he'll be getting the benefit of the doubt soon.

Tatum Bell, Mike Bell, Travis Henry, Lance Ball, Knowshon Moreno, Alfred Morris, Evan Royster, Roy Helu or Tim Hightower. I just named 10 RBs who were all supposed to be "IT", and he screwed owners week in and week out.

Don't forget: Mike Anderson, Orlandis Gary, Clinton Portis, Selvin Young and Rueben Droughns all of which at one point or another made surprise starts under Shannahan. Been there , done that....
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:39 am

Checking in on this halfway through the season....Alfie seems to be set at the #1 Rb position, wouldn't you say?

Your welcome.

~Gibbs
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 444)

Postby Montana168 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:13 pm

Is anyone worried about Alfred Morris ROS? I know he has been solid so far, but there are a few things that stick out to me. Mainly, the difference between Portis/Davis and Morris is that Portis/Davis could both pass block and catch passes exceptionally well. Morris can do neither of those two things, and that is why Royster is still playing on third downs. Which leads me to wonder if Morris is closer to Reuben Droughns and Mike Anderson, than to Portis/Davis.

The Shanahans have said that Morris has improved in pass blocking and catching, but that was a quote from much earlier in the year (~wk 2) and he has yet to really be a difference maker in either area. Is that going to put a severe cap on his upside as a RB?

It is also worth noting that Morris had fumbling issues in college. 16 fumbles in 3 years. He has held onto the ball successfully so far in his pro career (only 1 lost fumble) but if those ball security issues arise, Shanahan will likely be quick to pull the plug on Morris.

Lastly, since Shanahan has said they are evaluating players for next year already, is anyone worried that Morris will lose snaps to Royster so that the staff can see whether he can be an effective #2 next year since they have already seen what Morris can do?

I know that is a pessimistic view of a successful player this year, but arguably, fantasy football is about future projections and not past production.
Montana168
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:17 pm

Montana168 wrote:Is anyone worried about Alfred Morris ROS? I know he has been solid so far, but there are a few things that stick out to me. Mainly, the difference between Portis/Davis and Morris is that Portis/Davis could both pass block and catch passes exceptionally well. Morris can do neither of those two things, and that is why Royster is still playing on third downs. Which leads me to wonder if Morris is closer to Reuben Droughns and Mike Anderson, than to Portis/Davis.

The Shanahans have said that Morris has improved in pass blocking and catching, but that was a quote from much earlier in the year (~wk 2) and he has yet to really be a difference maker in either area. Is that going to put a severe cap on his upside as a RB?

It is also worth noting that Morris had fumbling issues in college. 16 fumbles in 3 years. He has held onto the ball successfully so far in his pro career (only 1 lost fumble) but if those ball security issues arise, Shanahan will likely be quick to pull the plug on Morris.

Lastly, since Shanahan has said they are evaluating players for next year already, is anyone worried that Morris will lose snaps to Royster so that the staff can see whether he can be an effective #2 next year since they have already seen what Morris can do?

I know that is a pessimistic view of a successful player this year, but arguably, fantasy football is about future projections and not past production.

Worried? You had my yes at "Shanahan"
Very nice evaluation ;-D

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:26 am

Alfred Morris was the Redskins' third-down back in Sunday's win over the Eagles.
Morris replaced Evan Royster in the role, playing on 9-of-11 third downs. On four of those plays, he ran pass routes. "(Coach) told me he was going to give me an opportunity to do it, and I really am thankful because he's trying to help me become a complete back," Morris said. Although Alf ended up with just one catch, it's a promising sign for his overall value. The Redskins are committed to getting him on the field as much as possible. "If he can stay healthy and just keep on doing the things he's done, he will be a big-time back for a lot of years," coach Mike Shanahan said. "He's a special guy."
Source: Washington Times
Nov 19 - 10:29 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl ... -news?rw=1
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:40 pm

Hmmm, wound up with a club record for rushing yards in a season.

Not worried.

B-)
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 444)

Postby joejlitz » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:18 am

Gibbs Baby!!! wrote:Hmmm, wound up with a club record for rushing yards in a season.

Not worried.

B-)

Redskins were in the mix for Reggie Bush. That tells me something and if I owned Morris in a dynasty, I'd be a little anxious.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Previous

Return to Football Talk