Help with first draft strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Help with first draft strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Help with first draft strategy

Postby octave79 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:50 am

Been following this board for a couple of weeks trying to sharpen my skills at fantasy football. I decided to join our work league and have a draft coming up soon and looking for any advice I can get.
This will be my first fantasy football league.

here is all the info for it:
10 person league, everything looks pretty standard as far as scoring except a couple defaults (Yahoo defaults) penalized for sacks and interceptions and bonus points for long td's. 4pts passing td's and 6pts rushing td's.

From all i've been reading it looks like going with a RB in the first round is the way to go, however, In this league we have a qb/wr/rb/te option as a flex, so i was wondering what your thoughts are on that specific format. Should I go qb, qb, rb? Or should i try to get a stud rb first and get a couple qb's in the next 2 rounds? Havent really been paying attention to WR's, so not sure if I should consider any of them in rounds 2 or 3.

I have the number 5 pick, and the draft goes in reverse order.

Thanks
octave79
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Help with first draft strategy

Postby gatorman1122 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:27 pm

Wow...sounds like a fun league with that crazy flex option.
Even with the 4pt passing TD, I would assume that the scoring would go QB>RB>WR>TE (check your league scoring and view last season's top scorers...were they mostly QBs?)

With the no. 5 pick, I would pray that one of the top 3 QBs falls into your lap (Brees, Brady, Rodgers). If they do, draft them without hesitation. Instead of going with a "firm" QB-QB-RB or RB-RB-QB rule, try to be flexible. There's never a solid answer. It all depends on how the draft goes with everyone else. Who knows...after your 5th pick, there might be 10 QBs taken in a row. Will you settle for the 14th best QB or a no. 3 RB? The answer is...it DEPENDS.

But to keep it simple...I would try to target QB-QB-RB-RB-Flex-Flex-Flex (Don't forget to draft a 3rd QB for your bench). The WR talent is pretty deep this year so I wouldn't be too worried about WRs.
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Help with first draft strategy

Postby octave79 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. Im hoping Rodgers, Brady or Brees falls to me at 5, but not so confident it will (hearing some of the coworkers talking and its evident the first spot is definitely taking a qb).

Still debating on the RB situation at 5, whoever remains Foster, Mccoy or Rice or reach a bit for Stafford or Cam.
octave79
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

(Past Year: 13)

Return to Beginner's Forum