NFL to use scab referees to start season - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFL to use scab referees to start season

Moderator: Football Moderators

NFL to use scab referees to start season

Postby moochman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:23 pm

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012 ... on-begins/

The close we get to the opener the more concerned I get about the quality of football that we will see. The repacement Zebras have been notably poor during the preseason games, why would that change when its for real? The league is giving the refs and fans the finger on this one. Only concern is saving what must amount to pesos, and jeopardizing the integrity of the game, and possibily player's health.
I am very concerned that our games will be shoddily ref'd so much so that the outcomes can be altered. How well do you think these guys will do during the heat of battle, when a Brees, Brady, Manning or Rodgers try to run a 2minute drill at the end of halfs and games? I have seen very little from the replacements that makes me think they can handle it correctly. What do you think will happen with Goodells' dollar store refs? Does it bother you, or am I just getting my jockstrap in a bunch over nothing?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: NFL to use scab referees to start season

Postby stomperrob » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:30 pm

I think with all scoring plays and turnovers being reviewed this year, some of the margin of error will be reduced for the replacement refs (and the guys in the booth are not replacements).

Can't decide where I stand on this issue, obviously the NFL makes tons of money, but fans don't pay to see the refs, and there's not a big market for ref apparel and collectibles. They work 1 game a week, whereas officials in MLB, NBA and NHL have to work more.

...Anderson said the sides remain considerably apart on economic issues, including salary and retirement benefits. He also told the teams there is a substantial difference on operational issues.

"One of our key goals in this negotiation is to enhance our ability to recruit, train and replace officials who are not performing adequately," Anderson said. "We believe that officials should be evaluated and performance issues addressed in the same way as players, coaches, club management and league staff. We have proposed several steps to accomplish this, including having a number of full-time officials and expanding the overall number of officials."

The NFL is offering to add three full officiating crews, increasing the total number of officials to 140. The NFLRA insists the compensation being offered with such an increase would reduce officials' pay.

The league is proposing having seven officials -- one per position of referee, umpire, line judge, side judge, back judge, field judge and head linesman -- who would train, scout and handle communications, safety issues and rules interpretations year-round. Now, all NFL game officials are part-time employees, with outside jobs ranging from lawyer to teacher to business owner.

In response, the NFLRA has said it is not opposed to full-time officials "if they are fairly compensated."

The union also disputes the value of the league's current salary offer, which it says would not be the 5 percent to 11 percent increase the NFL claims.

According to ESPN.com's Darren Rovell, the average pay for NFL game officials last season was $149,000. Under the NFL's last proposal, that would increase to more than $189,000 by 2018. In addition, a game official in his first year in 2011 made an average of $78,000. Under the NFL's last proposal, he would make more than $165,000 by the end of the new agreement.

more: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/83144 ... lar-season
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby benb18a » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Hopefully these guys bite the big one next week, or do a perfect job, either way, some leverage toward some closure would be nice. I haven't had time to watch much preseason but it seems like they have built a reputation for being inferior to the regulars, and unless it's just confirmation bias the refs should have plenty of leverage in negotiating with the NFL's avarice being the only real wrench in the gears here.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby moochman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:14 pm

benb18a wrote:Hopefully these guys bite the big one next week, or do a perfect job, either way, some leverage toward some closure would be nice. I haven't had time to watch much preseason but it seems like they have built a reputation for being inferior to the regulars, and unless it's just confirmation bias the refs should have plenty of leverage in negotiating with the NFL's avarice being the only real wrench in the gears here.

Actually, the refs only leverage is if we don't watch, and that's just not going to happen. Bottom line is the NFL has a style of dealing with employee confilict. "our way or to heck with you, the fans, the integrity of the fans." The liars in the league offices tell us all about the integrity of the game and how suspensions of so many Saints for bountys, as if they never happened or as if they even made a damned difference in the game. Other than to make it more entertaining. But for sake of NFL justice, they will impinge on the integrity of the game by using replacements instead of just paying the refs and getting along with what was the better of the two choices. Hate the NFL lawyers for placing their pride before the game.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:54 pm

moochman wrote:
benb18a wrote:Hopefully these guys bite the big one next week, or do a perfect job, either way, some leverage toward some closure would be nice. I haven't had time to watch much preseason but it seems like they have built a reputation for being inferior to the regulars, and unless it's just confirmation bias the refs should have plenty of leverage in negotiating with the NFL's avarice being the only real wrench in the gears here.

Actually, the refs only leverage is if we don't watch, and that's just not going to happen. Bottom line is the NFL has a style of dealing with employee confilict. "our way or to heck with you, the fans, the integrity of the fans." The liars in the league offices tell us all about the integrity of the game and how suspensions of so many Saints for bountys, as if they never happened or as if they even made a damned difference in the game. Other than to make it more entertaining. But for sake of NFL justice, they will impinge on the integrity of the game by using replacements instead of just paying the refs and getting along with what was the better of the two choices. Hate the NFL lawyers for placing their pride before the game.

So they should just pay the referees whatever they want, no bargaining??? Doesn't sound like any collective bargaining procedure I've ever heard of.

Methinks thou dost protest too much :-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby HskrPwr13 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:36 pm

I don't know that this is a big of deal as the media is making it. The whole reason instant replay was installed a decade ago was because of poor officiating. Even with i/r, the officiating crews often seem to be unaware of what's going on. I don't know that the scab refs will provide a different level of stink. The smell just may be different.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:57 pm

stomperrob wrote:
moochman wrote:

So they should just pay the referees whatever they want, no bargaining??? Doesn't sound like any collective bargaining procedure I've ever heard of.

Methinks thou dost protest too much :-D

Yes, just pay the man. Choose your battles and your weapons. Pay them more than they ask for ( it a teeny drop in a massive bucket) and add whatever stipulations you want from them. Cutting off ones nose to spite.....

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SirGrotius » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:30 am

It's intriguing how the Player's Union is backing the Referees in this. They're legitimately concerned with player safety, but they also want to show solidarity with a union against the Man.
10 rushing yards - 1 pt
10 receiving yards - 1 pt
20 passing yards - 1 pt
All TDs - 6 pts (QBs favored)
SirGrotius
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby benb18a » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:55 pm

If Goodell has a brain in his head, he's calling the NFLRA and signing an agreement tonight.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby petedog9 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:30 pm

I have no rooting interest in the game tonight and I feel jobbed???? Tell me you dont feel jipped? I sat through this yesterday on many games. The NFL game is a passion of mine. Evident by the multiple TVS I pull out on Sundays to watch every game at once. This is just not right. I just want to get drunk on Sundays (and Thurs / Mon) and watch good football. This is an insult to my NFL intelligence.
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk