Redskins RB LEAST likely to start? WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Redskins RB LEAST likely to start? WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Redskins RB LEAST likely to start? WHIR

Postby GreenBowlPackers » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:30 pm

With Hightower cut, in one deep league I still have ALL 3 Redskins RBs: Royster, Helu, and Morris. I eventually need to drop one and pick up a kicker before week one, so I need some opinions out there - which is the least valuable Skins RB at this point? I'm thinking Royster at the moment...
GreenBowlPackers
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 44)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Redskins RB LEAST likely to start? WHIR

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:33 pm

Its a guess. You never know with shanahan.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby MAXIMIS » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks for your help. Drop Royster.... He's the vanilla RB of those 3... Helu is the best Back and Morris has shown signs of greatness so I'd throw Royster back on the pile. Kind of nice that Hightower's gone makes that hellish situation a little more reasonable.
MAXIMIS
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Quackman » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:04 pm

MAXIMIS wrote:Thanks for your help. Drop Royster.... He's the vanilla RB of those 3... Helu is the best Back and Morris has shown signs of greatness so I'd throw Royster back on the pile. Kind of nice that Hightower's gone makes that hellish situation a little more reasonable.

I disagree. They love Royster. He is more explosive than Helu. Im sure it will be a split situation but if i could only own one,,i like Royster. Morris is 3rd in line for carries.
Quackman
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jason497 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:42 pm

Royster is NOT more explosive than Helu but he sheds tacklers better.

When does your WW lock? Redskins play at 1PM EST, you could see what they do and then cut someone for a kicker playing the 4pm/Night games.

If you have to cut someone I think I cut Roy Helu. They just don't like him, they see him as a 3rd down type who can't carry the load and would rather go all Barry Sanders for the homerun rather than get the tough yards.

I think the competition to start is between Royster and Morris, Helu is locked in as the 3rd down change of pace I think....though it's Shanahan, so who the hell knows!?
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Jason497 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:23 pm

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan says he knows his Week 1 starter at running back, but that it's a "secret."

He's still got it. The good news is, it appears Shanahan is deciding between Roy Helu and Evan Royster, as he praised each player's "tremendous progression" in pass protection on Saturday. Undrafted rookie Alfred Morris will certainly be in line for carries, however. Helu remains the highest upside fantasy own in Washington's backfield, but it's a situation worth avoiding if at all possible

I predict Evan Royster starts week 1. I guess Morris is the guy to cut now if you can't wait until sunday afternoon.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SameSongNDance » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:45 pm

Jason497 wrote:Redskins coach Mike Shanahan says he knows his Week 1 starter at running back, but that it's a "secret."

He's still got it. The good news is, it appears Shanahan is deciding between Roy Helu and Evan Royster, as he praised each player's "tremendous progression" in pass protection on Saturday. Undrafted rookie Alfred Morris will certainly be in line for carries, however. Helu remains the highest upside fantasy own in Washington's backfield, but it's a situation worth avoiding if at all possible

I predict Evan Royster starts week 1. I guess Morris is the guy to cut now if you can't wait until sunday afternoon.

This is Rotoworld's take. It could mean nothing, it could mean everything. Someone on another board did some research and came to the conclusion that Shanny has never started a RB who played in week 4 of the preseason. Regardless, this whole situation is like trying to guess which law Britt will break next. IMO it's clearly between Royster and Morris. My gut says Morris and my head says Royster. We'll see.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Jason497 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:54 pm

See but you could also make the case that Shanny didn't get to see Royster and Helu in the 3rd game because each had soreness going on, so he decided to evaluate them in the 4th game. Morris already got a lot of work in in the 3rd game.

I think you are right, gut says Morris and head says Royster. All they did all offseason was talk up Royster to the point you thought the guy was the next Terrell Davis. 1 good half against the Colts who are horrendous vs. the run, I mean Morris had humongous holes to run through in that game...

Morris ran a 4.67 40, people were asking Shanny if he was going to move the guy to fullback....now I'm supposed to buy him as the starting Halfback in his rookie season? It just doesn't make any sense, but it's Shanahanigans so it doesn't have to.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SameSongNDance » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:19 pm

Jason497 wrote:See but you could also make the case that Shanny didn't get to see Royster and Helu in the 3rd game because each had soreness going on, so he decided to evaluate them in the 4th game. Morris already got a lot of work in in the 3rd game.

I think you are right, gut says Morris and head says Royster. All they did all offseason was talk up Royster to the point you thought the guy was the next Terrell Davis. 1 good half against the Colts who are horrendous vs. the run, I mean Morris had humongous holes to run through in that game...

Morris ran a 4.67 40, people were asking Shanny if he was going to move the guy to fullback....now I'm supposed to buy him as the starting Halfback in his rookie season? It just doesn't make any sense, but it's Shanahanigans so it doesn't have to.

Morris also looked good against CHI the game before IND . His YPC doesn't tell the full story but he was running with some real power and even trucked Lance Briggs on one of the his runs.

Regardless of who starts tomorrow, I think this will all come down to durability. From what I can tell Shanny just hasn't had anyone he could lean on without them getting injured in the past (Ryan Torain would tweak a hammy sneezing). Royster has had knee troubles in the preseason but also injured his ribs during those two starts last year. From what I can tell, Morris only had a single injury in college in which he missed one game (he did however play in a weak division). The lack of current durability concerns coupled with his seemingly perfect fit for the zone blocking scheme is why I have him pegged as the favorite to win the job. People keep acting as if it's fantasy blasphemy to roster one of these dudes although in all likelihood they're your RB6 that you got in the last round or off the waivers. I feel like I just entered my name in a raffle and can't wait to see this play out haha.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Jason497 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:55 pm

Yep got Evan Royster 13.08 as my RB5.

I immediately regretted the pick though, we keep 9 players (so it's like a mini-dynasty) and I really wanted to roster Lamar Miller as I think he could be this year's Demarco Murray. He got taken 2 picks later.

So if Royster doesn't pan out I'll be sad lol, but like I've said before even if he doesn't start week 1 he'll still likely see some starts this year because it's Mike Shanahan.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions