No votes
other
No votes

Total votes : 6

Lions season predictions

Postby moochman » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:01 pm

How many games will 2012 Lions have?
Feel free to explain.

I feel they will be hard pressed to repeat last season success. I just don't trust the D to not cost them too many games. 8-8

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Lions season predictions

Postby bhgilliland » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:37 pm

You're feelings aren't unwarranted, but consider 5 things.

1. The Calvin Johnson/Matt Stafford rapport is a beautiful thing. I mean it's up there with some of the best. Stafford trusts his deep ball, wish is pinnacle, and Calvin is just a touchdown producing freak of nature.

2. Titus Young and Nate Burelson are damn good receivers on a pass happy team. They will produce fireworks together.

3. Health pending, K. Smith is a very solid back. Just think - a Lions team with a solid running game? Watch out world, because the sky is the limit.

4. Pettigrew has the potential to wow us all. Just wait.

5. If their defense even halfway shapes up.. I don't want to know the repercussions.
bhgilliland
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby moochman » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:00 pm

bhgilliland wrote:You're feelings aren't unwarranted, but consider 5 things.

1. The Calvin Johnson/Matt Stafford rapport is a beautiful thing. I mean it's up there with some of the best. Stafford trusts his deep ball, wish is pinnacle, and Calvin is just a touchdown producing freak of nature.

2. Titus Young and Nate Burelson are damn good receivers on a pass happy team. They will produce fireworks together.

3. Health pending, K. Smith is a very solid back. Just think - a Lions team with a solid running game? Watch out world, because the sky is the limit.

4. Pettigrew has the potential to wow us all. Just wait.

5. If their defense even halfway shapes up.. I don't want to know the repercussions.

Welcome to the Cafe, strong post. ;-D
point 1 is self-evident and inarguable. Barring injury, Megs scores close to 20TDs
T Young and Burleson have some proving to do. Need much more consistancy in what should be an easy position to excel at - the Lions WR not named Calvin.
K Smith, sadly its Ill-health pending. not going to work. Disagree with any assertion that he is a solid back. Drops on contact, then gets hurt anyway. Leshoure is their only hope barring some shocking pick-up.
4) Love Pettigrew in this O, but he sorta broke out last year. Were it not for Megs, we would have been wowed more by Brandon.
5) I see nothing that suggests their D can, not will, shape up. Very concerned about pourous pass D, but even more worried that they won't stop the run. That D is closer to '08 v2 than it is to shaping up.

But hey, I am a cynic and I am disappointed with what they've shown so far. Hope that you are right. And again, welcome to the Cafe.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bhgilliland » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:41 pm

I haven't kept up with K. Smith this preseason, but the only memories I have of him are games like when he played against Carolina last year. I suppose that was a little presumptuous. Megatron saps value from all the receivers on that team sadly. I really do think between Pettigrew, Nate and Titus great GREAT things will happen this year.

And you're way right. Their D is... atrocious. I wish they'd shape up.
bhgilliland
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby dream_017 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Looks like we are all over the board. Going into the season I was at 9-7. If they catch some breaks they can fininsh better, but I think they are still a year away from where they (and the majority of us) expect them to be - a legitimate playoff team.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby moochman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:29 pm

dream_017 wrote:Looks like we are all over the board. Going into the season I was at 9-7. If they catch some breaks they can fininsh better, but I think they are still a year away from where they (and the majority of us) expect them to be - a legitimate playoff team.

That is what I tell myself when I am not just hating the drafting of Mayhew. He is sticking to a plan to build this team. Next year he most certainly will focus the draft on building the D. Right? we get impatient in living for today and lose focus on the long term plan required to rebuild a franchise.

Of course, we get destroyed by SF and Mayhew will start walking the Millen man march of death. :-b

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby moochman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:50 pm

moochman wrote:How many games will 2012 Lions have?
Feel free to explain.

I feel they will be hard pressed to repeat last season success. I just don't trust the D to not cost them too many games. 8-8

Can't believe I was the most pessimistic fan, and I over-shot. Think a front office sweep (something Ford just doesn't do) is needed in addition to firing of OC and were it my team the Schwartz as well. Just cannot limp through first three quarters of every game, taking what the defense gives you. That is a loser strategy that Schwartz and Linehan love.
I would fire Schwartz the moment he told me he though Suh played "probably his best game as a Lion" Sunday. Lions press conferecnes haven't been amusing with the snoring Schwartz blathering on, but this was an insulting effort at absurdity. Maybe Schwartz doesn't realize that Suh isn't an O-lineman and not noticing he is on the field is not a good thing.
Wonder who the best player available will be April?

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stomperrob » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 am

It ain't gettin' any prettier

November 18, 2012 at 1:00 am
Chris McCosky
Chris McCosky's Four Downs:
Matthew Stafford, Lions offense in different time zones

First down

If former Pistons coach Larry Brown did the postgame interview for Jim Schwartz, this is what he would have said:

"I don't know what was going on out there with our offense — we played like strangers."

The word that came to mind watching the Lions on offense was disarray. Quarterback Matthew Stafford and his receivers, but for a few spurts, were completely out of sync. Passes were dropped. Passes missed their mark, many by wide margins. Wrong routes were run and route adjustments were missed.

"I didn't play my best," said a terse Stafford. "It was a little bit of everything."

He didn't care much for the word disarray, however.

"Disarray is probably not the right word," he said. "Coming into the week we were the No. 2 offense in the NFL, so if that's disarray, then OK. But, obviously, we didn't play our best against a good football team."

Schwartz said it was failure in every facet — the quarterback missed throws, receivers dropped passes, pass protection was spotty — but he may have hit the nail on the head when he said the communication was bad in route adjustments.

con't...

more: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... time-zones

Article goes on to discuss the arguing between Linehan and the position coaches on offense among other things.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby moochman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:33 pm

It is a pretty damning statement when you have vetaren players who aren't on the same page at this point of the season. Especially when considering the Lions lack of complexity. Just bad coaching, poor drafting. Young is getting old fast, Logan's run is just about over. The guys they got to replace somehow aren't ready? Broles has been there long enough. Thomas has returned kicks before. Again, not a complex return to master.
There has been some talk of Suh being coddled, and it makes me wonder if maybe Schwartz does't push his players enough. Rookies are seldom ready to perform when asked, but look on other teams and rookies step in and make plays. I don't know, but there is something very, very wrong in the coaching mix.
And you know my solution. Fire em all, and the last firing should be the man who hired them. ;-D

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Detroit Lions