BCS Results are in -- OU vs. LSU at Sugar Bowl - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

BCS Results are in -- OU vs. LSU at Sugar Bowl

Moderator: Football Moderators

BCS Results are in -- OU vs. LSU at Sugar Bowl

Postby Tim » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:54 pm

All I can say is that the system needs to go after this. USC at number 1 in the polls gets snubbed as Oklahoma remains at #1 and LSU moves up to #2. After a loss in the final game of the season, Oklahoma should be dropped to number 3. LSU deserves the shot; however, USC was without a conference championship game. How is it, also, that USC, being number 1 in the polls, are not even in the title game? I hope this is the end of the BCS, bring back the AP/Coaches polls.

Tim
Tim

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby VHawk15 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:17 pm

Bring on the play-offs! The two teams in the Sugar Bowl should have been USC and LSU, I agree. If you can't win your conference, you shouldn't be allowed to play in the championship game! It's ridiculous, and hopefully we will have a play-off system soon.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Shatner8 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:49 pm

The way they are determining who plays in the National Championship game is obviously flawed. How can the #1 team in the country not play in the title game? that makes no sense to me. All 3 teams deserved to be in the championship but Oklahoma lost there Conference Championship and that should have been the deciding factor.
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AF » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:25 am

I'm all for every conference champion making it into a play-off and maybe some wildcard teams for some high ranked non-conference champions. This would at long last give good teams from smaller conferences a chance to prove what they are made of. Teams like Miami(OH) this year who has just one loss but gets NO love in the human polls because they are from the MAC. I really think that Miami could give Ohio State a hell of a game this year. Just think if Miami hadn't lost to Iowa at the begining of the year (a much better team than the Cal team USC lost to).
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:55 pm

Yes, all three teams deserved to be there, but in the end it came down to who have you beaten/lost to.

Both LSU and OU's losses were to ranked teams.

Both of them have beaten top 10 teams.

Both of them have beaten a list of ranked opponents.

USC lost to scrub U and only played ONE ranked team the entire year (#14 Wash. State).

With as weak as the Pac-10 is right now, if those teams want a shot at the national title they need to schedule at least one really tough (I'm talking top 3-5 here) out of conference game.

Chances are that USC will get blown out by Michigan anyhow, and all this controversy will be for naught.

As for Miami (OH), give it a rest already. I'm so tired of these small conference teams complaining how they got snubbed, and then getting a chance to prove themselves and completely botching it.

It all started a few years ago when BYU went undefeated playing a bunch of teams that may as well have been division 3A schools and then cried and moaned about not getting into a BCS bowl? What happened come the end of December? They lost by 40 points to HAWAII.

Now welcome to this year...first we've got TCU, a small conference team that finally actually has a legitimate shot at a BCS bowl, and what do they do? Get blown out by the first team that they play that actually has a history of being ranked.

Now we've got Miami (OH). Do they look like a good team? Sure. BCS caliber? Probably not. Why not you ask? Well, I can answer that.

With Bowling Green falling out of the polls, that leaves ONE team this year that Miami (OH) played that was ranked. That one game? A 21-3 loss to Iowa.

Miami (OH) has played only TWO teams from BCS conferences. One of them is probably the worst team in the big 10, the other: again, a 21-3 loss to Iowa.

The rest of their schedule? Well, it involves teams named Akron, Ball State, Kent State, etc.

Again, they had their shot. They played one good team outside of the MAC this year and they got blown out. Next year, schedule a top 5 team, beat them, then maybe you have a right to complain.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Goody » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:07 pm

I agree with everything that Free Bagel has said. I also agree that OU does not deserve to play in the national title game. But, USC has a weak schedule and doesn't even play a conference championship game. If the conference championship determines whether or not OU goes to the national championship, then everyone should play one, including the pac 10. OU still has the best record in Big XII play. Does that mean they are conference champions like the Trojans??? No, but I guess the BCS was somewhat right. There still needs to be a playoff no doubt.
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ousmagic » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:52 pm

AF wrote:I'm all for every conference champion making it into a play-off and maybe some wildcard teams for some high ranked non-conference champions. This would at long last give good teams from smaller conferences a chance to prove what they are made of. Teams like Miami(OH) this year who has just one loss but gets NO love in the human polls because they are from the MAC. I really think that Miami could give Ohio State a hell of a game this year. Just think if Miami hadn't lost to Iowa at the begining of the year (a much better team than the Cal team USC lost to).

iowa killed miami(ohio) and then miami(ohio) swept through the mac they had their chance to beat a good big 10 opponent but they failed and anyways osu is better then iowa
Ousmagic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Tim_ffc » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:41 pm

Free Bagel wrote:USC lost to scrub U and only played ONE ranked team the entire year (#14 Wash. State).

With as weak as the Pac-10 is right now, if those teams want a shot at the national title they need to schedule at least one really tough (I'm talking top 3-5 here) out of conference game.

Chances are that USC will get blown out by Michigan anyhow, and all this controversy will be for naught.

I do not agree with what you said here. USC's schedule was not expected to be that difficult, but it was not supposed to be a cakewalk either. A couple of teams they played were expected to do better, like Hawaii and Oregon State. Plus, the top sportswriters in the country seem to think they're the best team in the nation.

About the Rose Bowl, Michigan does not stand a chance against the young and talented skill players of USC. Matt Leinhart and Mike Williams are already several of the top players in the country, and Reggie Bush, one of their frosh RB's, has the potential to be the best RB in the nation, mark my words.

In any event, after USC's win Jan 1 and the Sugar Bowl Jan 4, the nation will have two national champions, and hopefully the BCS will be altered, or, let's hope, done away with. It's been nothing but trouble the past 6 years. You should be a conference champion before you play for the national championship.

Tim
Tim_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby AF » Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:27 pm

Miami's QB had his only down game of the year against Iowa (4 of his 10 INTs on the year came in that game but he still threw for 250yrds). Iowa was also the only team all year to hold us under something like 38 points. I honestly think that if Miami was to play Iowa again next week they would give them a MUCH better game. And we didn't just beat Bowling Green twice, we DOMINATED them twice. Last year when Iowa came to Miami they only beat us by like 7 (just checked the score was 29-24 to a team that was big ten co-champ). I never said we got snubbed and I also agree that we prolly wouldn't fair to well against a top 10 team, I just think it would be nice to have a play-off type system or something where a mid-major would at least get a shot each year to prove what they are made of. Look at March Madness, every year there is a cinderella team, they don't normally do well but at least they get a chance and who knows, one of these days one of them could go all the way. 5 years ago Miami (OH) made it to the sweet sixteen, if the system was like football nobody would have known if Miami could have done that.

As for next year I believe we are going to the Big House to play Michigan so if Rothlisberger is still around maybe we will have a chance to see what the Redhawks are made of. Looked it up and we play at The Big House sept. 4th I'm going to predict a MUCH closer game then everybody thinks if Rothlisberger stays for his sinior year, something like 28-24.
Last edited by AF on Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:14 pm

Free Bagel wrote:With as weak as the Pac-10 is right now, if those teams want a shot at the national title they need to schedule at least one really tough (I'm talking top 3-5 here) out of conference game.

USC did that, they scheduled Auburn for the first game of the season. If you don't remember, Auburn was ranked in the top 5 and was predicted by many to win the national championship.

USC won the game, in dominating fashion, but it wasn't their fault that Auburn flopped for the rest of the season.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to College Football