Do your team owners want to change rules EVERY year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Do your team owners want to change rules EVERY year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do your team owners want to change rules EVERY year?

Postby Papa Deuce » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:42 am

Man, this kills me.....

Almost every year the owners of this league want to change rules. And, of course, always in favor of rules that help their team specifically.

One year it will be we need more keepers, next year less keeper.... Or add PPR..... or your choice of keeping 3 or 4 players ( if you keep 4, you lose a draft pick )....... or let's use distance... wait a minute, no let's not use distance.....

And, LOL, believe it or not, this is a 22 year old league, with 6 of the original 10 owners.

Drives me nuts!
Papa Deuce
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Do your team owners want to change rules EVERY year?

Postby stomperrob » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm in numerous leagues, mostly dynasty leagues but a few redrafts too - leagues change rules occasionally but only if approved by members voting on it - some leagues require a simple majority to change rules, others require more than a majority (like 75% approval for example).
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Re: Do your team owners want to change rules EVERY year?

Postby kevinkallberg » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:01 pm

I run a few leagues myself and have run into this. How I do it is if it's a major change to the league (like how many we keep, stats, postions etc), I do not change the rules regardless of how many people vote for it. I run an established league and if a new teams wants to change something major, then he/she can leave the league and join another league.

Small rule changes I don't have a problem voting on.

What I have learned is that not everyone will be happy with a particular league setting. And you can't please everyone. If you change a rule every time someone wants to vote on it, your league will turn into something that you as the commish will not like.

I look at it as it's MY league, I do all the work in setting it up, finding replacement teams, keeping everyone active to maintain an active league and so on. I started commissioning leagues because I was tired of leagues that I was in not being ran properly and always had these rule changes that made it less fun for me.

So far it's working for me, in my 12 team league, had all original 12 teams return and in my 16 team league, only had to replace 2 people. I'm doing something right.
kevinkallberg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 19)

Return to Commissioner's Corner