Deep 14 team money draft! Have options! Help! 100% WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

Deep 14 team money draft! Have options! Help! 100% WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Deep 14 team money draft! Have options! Help! 100% WHIR

Postby Happy Homer » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:40 pm

Hey guys,

This was my Fantasy Football draft for my work league. $25 buy in so there is a nice chunk of money on the line. I've been out of Fantasy football for a couple of years but wanted to do my research going into this draft. 14 teams, standard, 4 pts for Passing TDS and a Flex RB/WR instead of the traditional 3rd WR. I had the 8th pick. I had a couple goals going into the draft, lots of depth at RB, because of the flex position. A top 6 QB because I didn't want to have to go in during a run. Same for TE. I also wanted to go a little early for Defenses and Kickers because in mocks I saw, there were runs and I ended up with bare bones because it was such a deep league. I ended up getting 2 QBS and 2 TEs so I have some options, but my RBs are kinda questionable. Super happy to get Julio in the 3rd! I couldn't pass on Ryan, he fell so far! DMC is a huge injury risk and Hillis is a 2nd RB. Overall, I'm very happy with my team but I need some advice on what to do with my depth sitting on the bench. Here's my roster...

QB - Drew Brees
RB - Run DMC
RB - Peyton Hillis
WR - Julio Jones
WR - Percy Harvin
RB/WR - Titus Young
TE - Aaron Hernandez
Defense - Eagles
Kicker - Dan Bailey

Bench - Matt Ryan
Bench - Greg Olsen
Bench - Jacquizz Rodgers
Bench - Kendall Hunter
Bench - Greg Little
Bench - Danny Baldwin
Bench - Brian Quick

For a 14 team league, I'm pretty happy. The obvious trade chip is either Drew Brees or Matt Ryan. I'm high on Ryan this year and I have Julio, so I would be down to trade Drew Brees if I could land a stud RB. I also think Olsen will be solid this year so I'm not 100% against trading Hernandez. Ideally, I would want to package Brees with someone else to get a top 3 RB. I'm also ok packaging Ryan with someone to get a solid RB2, like Steven Jackson, Jamal Charles, Trent Richardson, etc. Should I wait a couple games for Ryan to have some good games before trying to put together a trade or should I try to put something together before the season starts? Advice is greatly appreciate and of course WHIR 100%. Thanks in advance!
Happy Homer
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Deep 14 team money draft! Have options! Help! 100% WHIR

Postby Whisper » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:06 am

Thanks for the reply on mine.

Particularly for a 14-team league, I think you did really well. Landing Jones, Ryan, Brees, Hernandez, AND DMC essentially sets you up to be solid just about everywhere. I like Hillis to be a strong RB2 this year (with obviously huge upside if JC goes down), and I think Rodgers will start stealing reps from Turner almost as soon as the season starts; unfortunately, I don't know if there'll be enough reps in the Falcons backfield to make him more than a flex option down the line...but even then, given his current ADP, I'm betting he'll be a bargain. Like most people, I'm pretty big on Ryan this year (although as an Atlanta fan, I still have my nagging doubts about whether he'll ever truly make the leap to elite QB status), which also means I'm big on Jones. I also really like Harvin (again like pretty much everyone else).

I don't see there being a huge difference stats-wise between Brees and Ryan by the end of the year, so I'd be happy riding Ryan while trading on Breezy's name recognition. I think packaging Brees and either Hernandez or Olsen for a top-3 RB (plus a WR2 to help with depth behind Jones/Harvin) is a viable option. Definitely see which of the McCoy/Foster/Rice owners is hurting the most for a QB; of the three, I'd imagine at least one probably waited a round too long and is now stuck with Cutler as a primary.

Alternatively, I'm willing to bet you could offer Brees straight-up for someone like Murray, Matthews, Forte, or JC.

If trading Ryan, then yeah, waiting a game or two could help--if he fell in your draft, could mean that some of the other owners are wary, or think QB might be deep enough to not be a concern this year. Ryan + Hernandez should be able to get you someone like FJax or SJax I would imagine (plus a sleeper/flier somewhere else). If the league isn't PPR, Ryan for Sproles could work, as could Ryan for Ridley if you have faith in the Pats system buoying him like it did BJGE.

I would think one or two owners might be semi-panicking early after the first couple weeks if their QB and/or TE doesn't pan out, so that's when I'd consider pouncing in with a deal.
(0.5 PPR, 12-team league)
QB: Vick, RG3
RB: McFadden, Matthews, K. Smith, R. Williams, M. Goodson
WR: Nicks, S. Smith, Britt, LaFell
TE: Hernandez, Pitta
K: Bironas
DEF: Spot start (Cin in wk4)
Whisper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Happy Homer » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Bump please.
Happy Homer
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby BADAMS4 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:52 pm

I agree what the Gent before me said.. I like the fact that you have 2 stud QB's.. If I were you I would see who has calvin johnson.. depending on his QB situation Throw out there Julio and Ryan for him (unless you think Brees will bomb with out his HC).. If you could get a Calvin Johnson on your team I dont think you could be stopped.. I also really like Hillis this year, If you belive in the Madden Curse try and package Hillis and Ryan for a top tier RB and keep away from Calvin.. Hillis is no longer the cover boy, but packaging him and Ryan could get you a top tier guy to go along with RUNdmc!!
BADAMS4
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 27)

Postby Happy Homer » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:42 pm

I couldn't trade Brees for a top 3 rb should I sell him for less or look t move Ryan? I'm thinking of packaging Ryan and Hillis to see what I can get for rb2 and wr3. Thoughts?
Happy Homer
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby sundydrver » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Ride it out. Some one will need a QB soon enough since your in a 14 team league and would take either one of yours for one of thier top RB's. Also, I would not get rid of Hernandez but thats only because I d not put as much value of Olsen as you do.
sundydrver
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 34)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Roster Ratings