Technical Problems... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Technical Problems...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Technical Problems...

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:27 am

I would put this in comments and suggestions, but I thought that more no-mods would see it here.

My computer is really old. It has Windowas 98 SE and is a AMD Athalon 800mhz. It isn't real pretty. Anyway. On some sites I have problems loading some advertizements. Like on here the little white square one on top of the schedule. It doesn't load and then when I go to another page it stops loading any of the pics or anything. Like after it messes up and then I go to another thread it will not shaw any of the pics like avs or anything. Anybody know any way this could be fixed? I tried the windows updates and got all of them I think. Any ideas would be appreciated because I can't afford a new computer...
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:48 pm

BUMP
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kashikis » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:46 pm

um dunno Zimm, could be a million things.

have you cleared out all of your temp internet files? if you fill up the allotted space you set for it then sometimes things screw up. either way it'll speed things up for ya. beyond that I can't help ya without lookin at the pc personally
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lushcrush » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:55 pm

OK Zimm ... try this.
In Internet Explorer, go to Tools in the dropdown menu at the top, then down to Internet Options. Click on the Advanced tab on the far right in Internet Options. Scroll down to the Multimedia section and make sure all the checkboxes are checked. That might work or at least its a place to start.
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:51 pm

Thanks guys. I did both those things. I don't think it is the temporary files because I have it set to delete them when I get off explorer. I checked all the boxes though. Hopefully that works and thanks for the help. If anybody else has any otehr suggestions I would appreciate it. I will let you know how it works.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby cwebb » Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:22 pm

I have a Pentium 600 MHz and Windows XP works very fine here.

Maybe you have a poup and/or ad-blocker installed that blocks the ads (which isn't that bad anyway for faster browsing)

And don't just allow all multimedia content and Active-X controls because that would be a huge security risk!
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lushcrush » Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:08 pm

CWebb is right. There are a couple of Multimedia choices you might want to refrain from selecting. Active-X choices likewise. My point was to turn on any imaging that might have been turned off and become a Week 14 hero.
What I didn't realize when I posted is that I was leaving the backdoor open. Talk is these days you gotta watch that on this site.

New Tip ... install Netscape.
:-°
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:57 pm

I may sound like a complete idiot but I am trying to get this fixed. I do have a po-up blocker installed. It is the google one. I am not sure if it blocks ads or not. If it does it doesn't do a good job and I don't know why half the time it wouldn't and then the other half it would mess it up trying maybe so though. If I remember right though it started before the blocker was installed. So what ones should I not X? Here is the list of them in multimedia:
Start image dithering
Show pictures
Show image download placeholders
Play videos in web pages
Play sounds in web pages
Play animations in web pages
Enable image toolbar
Enable automatic image resizing
Don't display online media content in the media bar

So what ones do I uncheck? I just checked again for updates and it says that there are 45 "Windows" updated. Should I install all of those?

cwebb, I have a feeling your works better because it is a XP, mine is 98. I would get Netscape but I don't want to spend any moeny on this piece of crap. I am hoping to buy a new computer in the next year though.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slowkidz » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:25 am

i think you can dwnld netscape for free online...but depending on speed, it could take awhile...
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:26 am

I have a DSL connection. Just go to netscape.com?
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk