Technical Problems... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Technical Problems...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby emaja » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:23 am

Zimm, I sell computers for my job and that $500.00 is pretty close to buying a new tower. As long as your monitor and printer are fine, there is no need to replace them.

Make sure you buy a system that not only meets your needs today, but gives you a little headroom to expand and do more in the near (2 year) future.

I strongly suggest an Athlon XP processor. You get the performance of a P4 at a much better price. Depending on your needs (I assume the Internet, some gaming, and schoolwork) you will probably want at least 512MB of RAM and a 80-120 GB hard drive. Windows XP home, a CD burner and DVD will be standard on computers configured like this. They all have a dial-up modem and a NIC card for your DSL pre-installed. XP Pro would be better due to it's firewalling and secure domain longon ability, but you can upgrade that later.

Another thing to remember that, in general, a computer is a computer. They are assembled using many of the same parts, so a Dell isn't necessarily any better than an eMachines. Just more expensive.

In my work, I have heard horror stories about Dell and Gateway dealing with using outdated parts on their price-leader (cheap) machines like slow RAM and hard drives. Make sure you know what you are getting.

As a blanket statement, I recommend an eMachines for someone in your situation. There is a model that is sold at Best Buy and Circuit City for about $620.00 that has a Athlon XP 2800+ with 512MB RAM and a 120GB hard drive called the T2825. It has good graphics onboard and can easily be expanded. Don't let someone else tell you eMachines are crap. They break no more or less than any other computer and have standard parts that are readily found.

Sorry so long, but just wanted to give some suggestions. I am not much help on software issues, so that's why I didn;t chime in before.
emaja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football
Location: Wearing the PB with pride looking for my Bears crack pipe...

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:18 pm

Thanks emaja. I saw an ad for bestbuy in Sunday's paper. It had a Athalon with like 512 Ram, 120 GB hard drive and XP for a think 600 bucks. If I remember right it came with a monitor too. I think the deal is over now but I know deals like that will come again. I heard that the new chip is coming out early next year, like pentium 5. Would it be smart to wait til then so I have that option or then the P4 and Athalon will come down? What is the best Athalon out? Isn't it 3200+? I actually have had an emachines before. It worked good for about 6 years and then it crashed. The power supply cut out and we were told that it would be more expensive to fix it that the thing was worth. This thing is a compaq and I don't think I will be getting another one again. Maybe I wil now that they are with HP, but this thing has nver really worked too good. My Dad has a Dell and he has not been happy with it. His work got it for him. He got a wireless router with it and that thing is crap. It is more expensive than the mocrosoft ones at bestbuy and it doesn't work. RIght now it is unplugged since it would work. I can't stand Dell's support. I don't understand the dumb people in Indonesia.

Done with ranting, thanks again for the advice.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:00 pm

emaja, I would need to get a monitor since this one is my parents computer and they still use it. I went to bestbuy.com since I live in a small town that doesn't have a bestbuy store. Here is the best one I found:
comp
Last edited by M_Zimm_ffc on Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby emaja » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:27 pm

Yes, that's the one. It is $909.97, then you have to mail off for the $310.00 in rebates. You'll get those back in about 8 weeks.

The monitor is not the greatest, but since the tower itself is $619.99 and if you take the package and the rebates it comes to $599.97, it will be fine.

That deal is still going on though at least Saturday, as their ads run Sun-Sat.

As far as waiting for the next chip, you'll always be waiting since the next chip is always in development. Right now AMD (who makes the Athlon) has just released a new chip called the Athlon 64 which is a 64 bit chip. All other current desktop chips are 32 bit. That refers to the width of the data path. A 64 bit path is obviously double a 32 bit one, and that allows the computer to take in more data per clock cycle. For what you are doing, it would probably be overkill. It comes in a new eMachines called the T6000 and just the tower goes for $1150.

Compaq and HP are fine machines also, but still the eMachines is a better value, especially in that package.
emaja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Location: Wearing the PB with pride looking for my Bears crack pipe...

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:47 pm

Yea, I saw that the monotr isn't real great and it may crash in a couple years like my last emachines monitor did but at that price the tower is still a good deal and I also get a printer. Thye monitor should at least suffuce until I can get enough money for a new one if I want to. I don't think I would really NEED one though, it should be fine.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lushcrush » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:28 pm

That machine would be fine for you Zimm. With the rebate that is not too bad, and comes with 512 megs of DDR Ram instead of the 128 megs that accompanies most Dell basic packages. Then when you wear that out, step up to the plate and get something like this ...http://apple.com/powermac ... another of the new 64-bit processors.
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:38 pm

Lushcrush wrote:That machine would be fine for you Zimm. With the rebate that is not too bad, and comes with 512 megs of DDR Ram instead of the 128 megs that accompanies most Dell basic packages. Then when you wear that out, step up to the plate and get something like this ...http://apple.com/powermac ... another of the new 64-bit processors.

Lush, that would be nice but one, they are 1700 bucks, 2 the monitors are expensive too for Macs, and three, most of the programs I have wouldn't work with a Mac. But by the time I have that much money they will probably have 128-bit processors.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lushcrush » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:46 pm

Just throwing that Mac out into the mix, Zimm. You have to be an old man like me to be able to afford those ...
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:54 pm

Lushcrush wrote:Just throwing that Mac out into the mix, Zimm. You have to be an old man like me to be able to afford those ...

You are old enough to be my Dad...but my dad is younger than you...and my grandpa doesn't have a computer.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dazedncnfz » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:37 pm

Zimm that com is crap. plain and simple. I'm a Certified Computer Tech and not only do I work in the field but I also have my own side biz, building/upgradeing and selling computer systems.

If you want to be cheap go with a AMD, if you want the bestyou go with Intel. XP Home is a joke, if your going to get any version of XP you go with Professional version, and don't be fooled emachines are crap, always have been always will be. Those machines are sold to the avg user who doesn't know much about and is not looking for upgradablity.

My advice to you is this. If you have already saved $500 or then keep saveing. Build your own system and customize it. In the end it will be upgradable and a much better proforming system.

I build all my own and would never buy and "store" computer. If you are really serious about this there are a couple of us on site who work in this field and could give you help.

and another thing, screw the Mac. You don't want or need one of those. The PC is the way to go.

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk