Technical Problems... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Technical Problems...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby emaja » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:59 pm

Dazed, I agree that building a computer yourself is a better choice than buying any store-bought computer, but I think Zimm is looking for something that can easily be bought off the shelf for less than building it himself.

EMachines are no more or less prone to problems than any other store bought computer. They can be upgraded just like any other computer can with available AGP and PCI slots. They can go to 2 gigs of RAM. They are also the first to come out with a Athlon 64 processor in the stores. The only restriction on them is on the number of 5.25" drives, but that is due to the design of all store-bought PC cases.

I build my computers also and enjoy that satisfaction of knowing all my parts were selected for a reason other than cost. It really isn't hard at all and there are TONS of places on the web to get info about doing it. If you really want to do it, just let us know and we can walk you through it. You will learn a lot about computers from doing it and probably never go back to buying them off the shelf.
emaja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football
Location: Wearing the PB with pride looking for my Bears crack pipe...

Postby Lushcrush » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:25 pm

Dazed, having a bad day? :)
Dazedncnfz wrote:and another thing, screw the Mac. You don't want or need one of those. The PC is the way to go.

Screw the Mac ... I love it. Screw those freakin Macs ... they are just too ... whatever. Ha ha ha ...
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dazedncnfz » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:49 pm

Lushcrush wrote:Dazed, having a bad day? :)
Dazedncnfz wrote:and another thing, screw the Mac. You don't want or need one of those. The PC is the way to go.

Screw the Mac ... I love it. Screw those freakin Macs ... they are just too ... whatever. Ha ha ha ...

na..I just don't like Macs
;-)

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:38 pm

I have always thought it would be cool and nice to build my own computer. I personally think that store bought computers stink and will always fall apart within a couple years. All of them I have seen have. So you have me convinced, building PCs is better. I am not sure if I could do it though, WOuld I litterally have to build it or would I just buy a bunch of stuff and put it in and install it? How would I get the tower part to put it all in? How expensive is it to buy a processor?
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby emaja » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:05 pm

It's really not that hard. You're only assembling that parts, not building a CDRW from a shoebox and duct tape - but that might be cool too.

Take a look at these sites for components -

zipzoomfly.com

tigerdirect.com

pricewatch.com

directron.com

Most offer free shipping and their reps will talk you through everything you need.

Here's a short list:

Case with power suppply, motherboard, CPU, floppy, CDRW/DVD-ROM, memory, hard drive, software, and beer. You may need a video or sound card depending on your motherboard choice.

Don't forget about the software - XP or XP Pro. You can get it with your hardware purchase as the OEM version for a big discount - and it's the complete version, not an upgrade.

Here is an awesome link for walking you through the actual building.

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardware ... als/109/1/

Print it out and make notes, then do it. You will really have a better appreciation for it and when it breaks, you can fix it yourself.
emaja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:43 pm

I still have doubts that I would be able to do this but I am trying to get an idea. I have a question, how do you know which case to get? At that one place, zipzoomfly.com, there are a ton of different ones. Is there anything different than the way they look?

Also, what is Athalon FX/Opteron? I was under the assumption that Athalon 64 was the best chip they have, but FX is more expensive.

I think I would be able to get it all together, I am not bad at that kind of stuff. My problem would be picking what to put it in. Like I have no clue what motherboard and stuff. I know what size hard drive and RAM I want, but as far as processor and motherboards I am lost.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby emaja » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:24 pm

It does get a little more complicated when you have to pick the MoBo, but not much. Just make sure it supports the features that you must have. USB 2.0 is nice, and you can get by with a board that has integrated audio/video, but you'll be happier with separate cards for those things. In the interest of a budget, you may want to get integrated audio/video and upgrade later, as those cards will add to the overall price of the system.

As long as you get a case that has at least 2 internal 3 1/2" bays, 3 external 5 1/4" bays and two internal 3 1/2" bays you are really looking at a pretty face for your computer. It has to fit the board you want also, and most of the cases are for ATX size boards. You will probabaly want at least a 350 watt power supply as well.

The cases from Antec are nicely finished and have the requirements for most people. The Sonata is nice with a 380 watt power supply and is very roomy to work in.

Here's a link to the Sonata case.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... =A453-2012

As far as processors go, I don't think that you need the Althon 64/fx, but if you can swing it, you'd have the best processor on the planet. It has features that will optimize video and other digital media processing. Unless you are a budding Spielberg also, it would be severe overkill. The Opteron is for servers.

I know that some people are AMD guys and others are Intel guys, but either a P4 with HyperThreading or an AMD Athlon XP will be a great processor. The Athlon is a little cheaper for similar performance, but the P4 is top of the line also. You really can't go wrong.

Either way you go, just be sure you overbuy - meaning buy a little more processor than you need now - but do not buy the latest and greatest as the price premium is too great for someone like yourself on a budget. I would say a P4 at 2.8 Ghz (about $200), or a Athlon XP 2800+ (about $135.00) would be perfect. That Althon 64fx is running about $800, so you can see what I mean.

Go with high quality (Kingston, Crucial) RAM at a higher speed, like DDR 2700 or DDR 3200 if you can swing it. You'll be glad you did.

Sorry this is so long, but there is a lot of thought that has to go into building the computer. In fact, it is more planning than assembly, but if you do it right, you will really love it.

You can email me at mailto:ekracinski@yahoo.com if you want more info without filling this thread.
emaja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:36 pm

I don't mind readinf long posts. I would rather know all this stuff now instead of start getting into it and then find it out. Thanks guys. I think I will have to go AMD since I am on a tight budget. Dazed, is there any advice you have or any sites that sell stuff cheaper? I think this is the way I should go and through these sites, you guys, and myself I think I can get through it. I also think I know somebody that could help me if I get stuck and you guys can't explain it in text.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TTTBone » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:52 pm

Actually, I do find this all very interesting, as I'm looking to dump my old P3 system in the next few months; but, maybe you should be doing some personal messaging here, rather than keeping it on the board.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:07 pm

TTTBone wrote:Actually, I do find this all very interesting, as I'm looking to dump my old P3 system in the next few months; but, maybe you should be doing some personal messaging here, rather than keeping it on the board.

Yea, I am emailing emaja now.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk