Is Miles Austin worth the gamble tonight? PPR WHIR 100% - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Who to Start/Bench

Is Miles Austin worth the gamble tonight? PPR WHIR 100%

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is Miles Austin worth the gamble tonight? PPR WHIR 100%

Postby rclement3915 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:26 am

Ok so forgive me if you contributed to my weeks earlier post on my WR situation, but I'm really sketchy with it. Tonight's the kickoff of the season and there's nothing better than sitting on my couch hoping Austin catchesb10 balls for 150 and 3 scores.

That being said...his hamstring injury scares the hell out of me. I have Wes Welker slotted at my WR1 spot, but need to roll with 2 more.

So, who do I start at WR: PPR scoring, 4 point bonus for 50+ yd TD receptions. Need 2

Miles Austin-cowboys should throw it often and without Witten, Austin should be targeted but he's been hampered by a hammy all pre season. Is him re aggravating it worth the risk here?

Pierre Garcon- looked to be RG3 fav target and in a game where they'll have the air it out, I like his chances of a good game.

Brandon Lloyd- I have Welker starting and Brady at QB. Tough to go with another pat, but Lloyd has tremendous upside as a 3-4 rec 100 yd TD threat in the pats offense.

Demaryius Thomas- Total unknown, could be a stud with manning, could do nothing.

Thanks and as always leave your links and I'll gladly return the favor.
rclement3915
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Is Miles Austin worth the gamble tonight? PPR WHIR 100%

Postby jefffrizzle2001 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:33 am

I would go with Miles austin and Garcon.

Too many OTHER weapons in NE for Brady to play with

Little help?

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=518102
jefffrizzle2001
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 15)

Postby mpt3489 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:40 am

I would go with Brandon Lloyd and Miles Austin. Austin is a risky choice and I don't think he plays a ton of snaps but he should be out there plenty to make a difference. I like him more than the unknowns Garcon and Thomas. I think Lloyd has the biggest game out of all those choices and is the biggest threat to score a 50+ yd TD. Lloyd is due for a huge game soon, so I'd gamble that it's the first one.

Thanks for the help with mine.
mpt3489
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Calix » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:53 am

I would go with Garcon, and Thomas.

Never think it is good to start to WR on one team, so for me Lloyd is out, or put in Lloyd and leave out Welker. Washington is going to have to air it out against NO, because NO has something to prove at least at the beginning of the season, with all the doubters that they can overcome the Bounty scandal and coach being suspended. Austin scares the hell out of me and the Dallas offensive line scares the hell out of me also. Thomas and Decker should get plenty of looks this week as Peyton has something to prove to the world as well that he can still do it.

It is only week 1 so the decision is not life or death, so I would really say roll with your gut but those are my picks and reasoning.

Thanks for the help on mine.
Calix
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 29)

Postby thriceday » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:06 am

I'd absolutely roll with Miles Austin tonight. Lloyd will be an afterthought in NE behind the two-headed TE monster. I also don't trust Thomas and I actually see Peyton being kind of a bust this week.

With that said, I'd go with Austin and Garcon as your two other receivers.
thriceday
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby utility-hook » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:07 am

I would go with Austin and Garcon. I think the Cowboys have just been cautious with Austin and his hamstring is good to go. Plus, if Witten cant play that will likely be more targets for Austin.

As for Garcon, liked you had mentioned, he and RG3 have looked very much in sync this preseason and has been RG3's favorite target.

I would wait on Lloyd to see how much Brady looks his way. I think Brady will be looking more towards Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez before he finds Lloyd.

Help here
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=517804

just realized i already posted on your topic yesterday about this. disregard my link as well
utility-hook
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 51)

Postby KanakaJoe » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:24 am

Interesting delimna, I have a very similar WR corp. I was planning on sitting Austin tonight, but after reading through your responses, I'm not so sure it's the right move. My plan is to go with Antonio Brown, Demaryius Thomas, Brandon Lloyd and Danny Amendola. The real choice seemed to come down to Amendola and Austin. Because of the PPR factor, and many think that Amendola is "ppr gold" is why I went that way. But all the points on why to go with Austin seem viable. Good Luck with whatever you choose tonight! And thanks for helping me with my question earlier!
KanakaJoe
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby futbol57102at » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:41 am

All these guys are incredibly close in my rankings for this week, I literally have them all 20-25th for WRs...Since they're literally breathing down each others necks, I'd decide by elimination.

First, Austin, while stringing together 3 practices this week, is coming off a hammy problem, which frightens me for any WR or RB, as they can and do get re-aggravate. Also, I haven't read anywhere that he will get full snaps, so I'd err on the side of caution here, and avoid him.

Second, Thomas isn't even the top option in a passing game we're still uncertain of. Decker and Manning have better chemistry and have played like it in the preseason/camp. Going back to the uncertainty, are we going to see the old peyton? Reports have stated that he's been having issues with deep throws, which I think is more of Thomas' specialty (deep routes). The final nail in the coffin is their matchup..Pit has a good secondary..Yeah, their D is aging, and people freak out about their '10 to '11 interceptions drop (from 21 to 11), but I still think they're a top 5-7 D. The line will be putting pressure on Manning, and even if his arm is improved, the deep routes may not even get a chance to materialize.

Like you said, RGIII will be given the reins to air it out in this matchup, and the key beneficiaries are F. Davis and Garcon. I really think Garcon will have a big season, and this week is as good as any to start him

Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Lloyd....We get it, there's toooo many targets..I really think Lloyd has too good of a skillset and the Pats have too strong of a pass game to not utilize him a lot. Honestly, I think so many teams will be focusing their attention to shutting down the NE TE tandem this year, and things are likely to open up more for Lloyd this year.

So in a nutshell, I think you should start Lloyd and Garcon.
Last edited by futbol57102at on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
futbol57102at
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby roostar1 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:44 am

Go with Welker and Austin
roostar1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)
Location: In the owner's suite with 2 model chicks that'll do whatever I say!

Postby rclement3915 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:50 am

@ futbol. thank you for insightful response my friend , and for making my decision 10x harder haha.
rclement3915
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Who to Start/Bench