kevin ogletree - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

kevin ogletree

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: kevin ogletree

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Sex Panther wrote:Chicago 2 w/ a Packers avatar... balsphemy.

I'm going to start using balsphemy in sentences when someone does something both ballsy and blasphemous.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sundydrver » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:38 pm

I hv Graham as a TE and Rudolph (MIN) has my bench TE has a gamble more than anything. I dropped him to get Ogletreeon the waiver today. Did so for several reasons, to trade to someone who thinks he is the next great thing or to have in case he is. Plus watch Bryant, Austion, and/or Witten go out with injuries and see if he doesnt have some more 20+ point games. Never know but for me it was worth dropping a TE I will probably never use. Even when Graham bye week comes I might have dropped Rudolphfor a different TE to start depending on match-ups and his performance.
sundydrver
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 34)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:32 pm

sundydrver wrote:I hv Graham as a TE and Rudolph (MIN) has my bench TE has a gamble more than anything. I dropped him to get Ogletreeon the waiver today. Did so for several reasons, to trade to someone who thinks he is the next great thing or to have in case he is. Plus watch Bryant, Austion, and/or Witten go out with injuries and see if he doesnt have some more 20+ point games. Never know but for me it was worth dropping a TE I will probably never use. Even when Graham bye week comes I might have dropped Rudolphfor a different TE to start depending on match-ups and his performance.

Despite being pretty bearish on his potential, I'm trying to,see if I can get him with #7 waiver to dump Marcedes Lewis. Even if he does nothing its worth a shot.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sex Panther » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:59 am

scottaa1 wrote:
Sex Panther wrote:Chicago 2 w/ a Packers avatar... balsphemy.

I'm going to start using balsphemy in sentences when someone does something both ballsy and blasphemous.

Well played sir, spell check and calculators have made me un-smart
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby petedog9 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:16 am

Cowboys WR Kevin Ogletree acknowledged this offseason that he's a "better person" this year after showing questionable commitment early in career.
Issues in Ogletree's personal life provided a wake-up call this offseason, and teammates have noticed a difference. "I'm going off of the guy in practice every day – the guy who's consistently getting a good release from press coverage, the guy who is consistently where he needs to be at the right time," said Tony Romo. "The reason he got that job was because he was doing that day in and day out ... his commitment that it took

Source- Roto

I guess it all comes down to your league setting and more specifically, the size of your bench. I am in leagues with only 4 bench spots and others with 8. If you have the room to use one becnh spot to chase lightning in a bottle, then so be it. If he doesnt pan out, move on to the next guy. ;-D
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:32 pm

petedog9 wrote:Behrens is saying to drop the following guys to grab Ogletree... Do you agree with this?

Boldin
Williams (TB)
Crabtree
Sydney Rice
Nate Washington
Randy Moss

This to me is laughable. I take a proven winner any day over a flash in the pan and thats what I beleive he is. The stars were aligned last night with multiple injuries in the NYG secondary and Witten injury. Romo was picking on teh Giants #6 corner in Coe and went to whomever he was covering. Sorry, I beleive Ogletree is no better then the 4th option in the passing game behind Dez, Austin, Witten. I would also wager that he is the most dropped guy next week after go 2 catches for 20yds. Meanwhile, I just added depth to my roster by adding Boldin... ;-D

I'm struggling to find much in the way of proven winners in that list.

I actually came into this thread thinking I was going to be on the anti-Ogletree side of things, because his upside is probably capped to around what Laurent Robinson did last year. However, with the extent to which people are saying "just ignore him" my middle ground has put me on the side of having to argue in favor of him.

Here's the thing about these week 1 breakout players. A lot of them work out, a lot of championships are won by the teams that get them, and a lot of the current crop of studs started out as them. On your list alone, Washington, Rice, and Boldin were all likely on the WW at the start of their breakout years. Arian Foster, Jamaal Charles, Darren Sproles, Victor Cruz, Roddy White, Antonio Brown, Brandon Lloyd, Torrey Smith, Stevie Johnson. These are all guys who, at some point, were skipped over by thousands of people who said "nah, he's just a one week wonder, I'll hang on to my low scoring steady veteran who I know can get me 3 points when I need it but is never actually going to enter my starting lineup".

Anquan Boldin will give you 800/3. That's nice, I guess. But who the heck is starting a guy that gets 800/3 any more? You're probably getting more out of your backup tight end. I'd drop Anquan Boldin in a hot second for a supposed flash in the pan that could be the next Victor Cruz or even the next Laurent Robinson. Ogletree's upside seems limited by Dez/Austin, but how quickly we forget that Cruz's was supposed to be capped by two young up and coming receivers in front of him as well. Additionally, there's always the chance that Dallas enters Detroit/NE/Saints levels on offense or that one of the injury twins (Dez/Austin) ends up, well, injured.

The thing about the waiver wire is that, by week 3, the vast majority of guys who are the next big thing are gone. I've had years where I've sat through those weeks and held onto my waiver priority, and all I end up with is the #1 waiver priority and no one to spend it on.

There are going to be 3-5 more breakout players this weekend in addition to Ogletree. Half of these guys will be a flash in the pan. Half of them will be the real deal and will be considered a studly FF mainstay two years from now. Regardless, I'll gladly roll the dice on that game and hope I end up with one of the good ones in exchange for some "depth" that makes me feel cozy at night but doesn't actually contribute any points to my team.

Slow, steady, and safe is the quickest route to FF mediocrity.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby petedog9 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:55 pm

Difference in philosiphy is all but I can tell you that I win more leagues then I don't with a grinder approach and diligence. On a side note I persoanlly beleive Boldin is in for a very nice year. I promise you he way outperforms your 800/3 estimate you have. From everything I have read, they are taking the reins off of Flacco this year and may even use the no-huddle as a base offense. I predict Bolding goes 1100/6. He has always been Flacco's security blanket and will see alot more looks. It's all a gamble though right? and that to me is what makes fantasy football so much fun... ;-D

This:

Ray Rice confirms the Ravens offense now runs through Joe Flacco in a more wide-open attack.
"In pecking order, this is Joe's offense, then everybody else," Rice explained. "And he's proven that this preseason with how he's played, his tempo, how vocal he is, and the quiet Joe phase is pretty much over." It's a long time coming. Rotoworld has been of the belief for two years that OC Cam Cameron was holding back Flacco's fantasy value. With ex-Colts coach Jim Caldwell over-seeing the no-huddle offense, we expect Flacco to flirt with consistent QB1 production in a breakout season.

This:
Joe Flacco reportedly had the best training camp of his career.Flacco is taking on significantly more responsibility in his fifth NFL season. Much like the Falcons, the Ravens are shifting to an up-tempo philosophy that features some no-huddle looks and more aggressive play-calling.

and this:

Joe Flacco views the Ravens offense as "100 percent no-huddle.''The Ravens utilized the no-huddle extensively in the preseason. "I think the no-huddle can add a couple of minutes to the game for us,'' Flacco said. "I think we could get another possession per game out of it. The bottom line is, I'm happy we're doing it. Very happy." With new freedoms in a newly-aggressive attack, Flacco might finally solidify himself as a low-end QB1

and don't get me wrong....... I am not saying that Ogeltree does not hold solid value right now. I just look at his value a little different. If I can, I would grab Ogeltree in every league I could and then look to package him with a lesser player on my roster and try to trade him to the "chaser" for one better player. Let somebody else take the gamble while I upgrade on a proven player. More time than not, I make out like a bandit. Other times I lose like a skunk.I always have that grin on my face when I see that one week stud back on th3 waiver wire 3 weeks later... That's the name of the game.... :-D
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ampant » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:38 pm

It's a a no-brainer for guys with lower waiver priority. If you have a top waiver slot in a deeper league, the question is whether it is worth it to pull the trigger and go to the back of the line.

All depends on whether he pans out long term. Arguments for: Dez Bryant and Miles Austin both have injury histories. So if one of them goes down this guy becomes gold (if he isn't already).

Worst case, you'v picked up a decent WR3 for a bye week play, but at what cost. It seems that most guys that appear out of nowhere tend to appear in the 1st week or two. After that they are usually gone. So in deeper leagues where most quality backups are already drafted, it seems like you are better off burning your waiver priority early and getting the guy.

I am on the fence, but may have just convinced myself to nab him.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby petedog9 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:27 pm

Curious to see how many who grabbed him have already released him after his 1 catch week 2.
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ampant » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:07 pm

petedog9 wrote:Curious to see how many who grabbed him have already released him after his 1 catch week 2.

I grabbed him with my #1 waiver priority :-°

Haven't dropped him yet. I figure if Austin or Bryant get hurt (which is a likelihood), he'll be worth a spot start. Maybe it was the matchups . . . I don't know. I figure I might as well keep him and see if something develops.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk