Stephen Hill? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Stephen Hill?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Stephen Hill?

Postby gmoney973 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:48 am

After week1 alot of the talk is about Kevin Ogletree and Alfred Morris, however the rookie Hill put up a nice debut game for the jets with 5 receptions and 80+ yards 2tds

With the lack of weapons the jets have I don't see how this guy doesn't have a good year

Was this week 1 a fluke or does someone have some insight into this situation?
gmoney973
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Stephen Hill?

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:56 am

It's an interesting situation with Hill. The Jets seem interested in getting him the ball, which they tried to often during the pre-season, and again yesterday with his 5 Rec and 6 targets. The thing is, despite looking pretty good last season, the Jet offense could still end up being somewhat anemic. Yesterday was certainly encouraging, and with Holmes drawing #1 coverage, Hill is the next option in the passing game, it seems. Given his size he's presumably going to be a Red Zone threat as well. He's worth taking a shot on if you have low waiver priority, but I think most weeks he'll be a Flex player at best. He has the tools to be more if they can get him the football.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Oliver1212 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:20 am

I'm a Jets fan and was at the game yesterday, so I will give my 2 cents. Hill was by far the Jets best offensive weapon and the Bills DB's were clearly overmatched. He reminds me of a slightly smaller version of Megatron except his hands are suspect. Not sure what the official drops were for him yesterday, but it looked like there were 2 he should've caught. His size also drew a pass interference, which at the time gave the Jets a big first down.

The Jets look like they're gonna throw a lot this year. Greene sucks ... period. He has no explosiveness and is going to force them to throw. They were up by like 30 and still throwing flea flickers.

That being said. I will not spend my WW on him, but will pick him up if he clears waivers.

For a team that got a lot of preseason hype, the Bills looked flat out terrible defensively.
Oliver1212
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawinner127 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:16 pm

Oliver1212 wrote:I'm a Jets fan and was at the game yesterday, so I will give my 2 cents. Hill was by far the Jets best offensive weapon and the Bills DB's were clearly overmatched. He reminds me of a slightly smaller version of Megatron except his hands are suspect. Not sure what the official drops were for him yesterday, but it looked like there were 2 he should've caught. His size also drew a pass interference, which at the time gave the Jets a big first down.

The Jets look like they're gonna throw a lot this year. Greene sucks ... period. He has no explosiveness and is going to force them to throw. They were up by like 30 and still throwing flea flickers.

That being said. I will not spend my WW on him, but will pick him up if he clears waivers.

For a team that got a lot of preseason hype, the Bills looked flat out terrible defensively.

I disagree about him being a slightly smaller version of Megatron. I think he is more comparable to another great WR who wore #84 - Randy Moss.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby stomperrob » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:07 pm

UPDATED: 4:50 PM

The Jets will play with at least four wide receivers on Sunday, Rex Ryan said, reiterating his confidence that Stephen Hill will see action for the first time since the team's Week 3 win over the Miami Dolphins.

Hill (hamstring) missed the last two weeks.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:40 am

Stephen Hill can't shake reputation for bad hands at Jets minicamp
The second-year wide receiver had a touchdown pass hit off his hands as he was wide open in the end zone in a play that conjured up images of Hill's third-and-3 drop in the fourth quarter against New England last season.
By Seth Walder / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 8:14 PM
Updated: Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 8:14 PM

Stephen Hill provided a lowlight of the Jets' misadventures in receiving during minicamp last week. The second-year wide receiver had a touchdown pass hit off his hands as he was wide open in the end zone, the ball falling to the turf. Flashes of Hill's third-and-3 drop in the fourth quarter against New England last season had to race through the minds of the fans in attendance. That time, at least, Hill still would have had some running to do; in practice, he was already in the end zone.

Hill, a second-round draft pick out of the triple-option offense at Georgia Tech, has developed a reputation for bad hands. He was considered raw out of the draft, a project that didn't pan out last season. But Jets wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal says Hill's propensity for drops is exaggerated.

"No, see I've gone through last year, so I contest that this was an issue with him last year," Lal told the Daily News. "To me, he had a terrible drop in St. Louis ... and the terrible one in New England that everyone remembers. Two true, real drops, and he had one in preseason."

According to ProFootballFocus, Hill had six drops last season, tying him for 38th in the NFL. He only played in 11 games and had fewer receptions (21) than every receiver with at least five drops.

"There were some contested catches that he didn't make. Some contorting catches that you could see either way," Lal said. "Great players will make them and he will someday. So first, I contest the drop issue."

The Daily News looked back at the film, and while there is some gray area, Lal is mostly right. Hill's four other drops are all borderline at best: two are truly tough calls that probably should not be counted against him, one slipped by a defender before Hill dropped it going to the ground and the fourth was most likely a drop, though again, he had to go to the ground to catch the ball. All were possibly catchable, none as egregious as the New England play.

con't...

more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.1376315
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Return to Football Talk