Matt Ryan the Stafford of last year??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Matt Ryan the Stafford of last year???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Matt Ryan the Stafford of last year???

Postby NotInMyFantasyWorld » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:07 pm

Can Matt Ryan be the Matthew Stafford of last year? He has more weapons then Stafford did last year and this year. I was watching the game and even late in the 4th QT with a big lead he would throw the ball a lot. I drafted him late in the 5th round 60th Picked and he won my week one match up and i feel like he could be the steal of the draft. I know just week one and it was against the Kansas City Chiefs. What you guys think about the year Matt Ryan could have this season.
My 14 Team League NON PPR
QB- Stafford
RB- Alfred
RB- CJ2K
WR- VJax
WR- D Bowe
TE- B.Myers
Flex- Steve Johnson
D/ST- Colts)
k- M. Prater
M.Ingram,V. Brown,Le'Veon Bell,K. Thompkins ,S. Holmes ,EJ Manuel,Heath Miller
NotInMyFantasyWorld
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Matt Ryan the Stafford of last year???

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:19 pm

i say no. not bc he wont be a top 5 QB, but bc Ryan wasnt being drafted like Stafford was last year. i had Stafford as my backup QB in a couple leagues last year....so he returned fantastic value.

Ryan was hyped preseason and drafted in the 6-9 range of QBs. so for him to be a top 5 isnt as big a leap as Stafford did last year

i dont think its unrealistic for us to be discussing Ryan as a top 3 pick at QB next year

RG3, Sanchez, Flacco might be a better Stafford comparison. drafted in the 11-15 range at QB, and ends up top 5.
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby NotInMyFantasyWorld » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:24 pm

Good Point shawngee03.....A lot of ppl did take Stafford last year late and had him on the bench to start the season. So i see what your saying.
My 14 Team League NON PPR
QB- Stafford
RB- Alfred
RB- CJ2K
WR- VJax
WR- D Bowe
TE- B.Myers
Flex- Steve Johnson
D/ST- Colts)
k- M. Prater
M.Ingram,V. Brown,Le'Veon Bell,K. Thompkins ,S. Holmes ,EJ Manuel,Heath Miller
NotInMyFantasyWorld
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:48 pm

Scariest thing for the opposition to consider is that Ryan has much better tools at his disposal. Sure, no Megatron but JJ is emerging as a top stud, White still has plenty of tread left, Rodgers should be a great safety valve and Gonzo is as reliable a pass catcher as one would want.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:59 pm

I don't know about 5000 yards and 40 TDs for Matt Ryan, but I do believe he has vaulted into the top 6 and arguably elite category among QBs. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if he ended up with a more productive fantasy season than Matthew Stafford in 2012. Matt Ryan has weapons like no other QB in the league and that is just as important as his individual ability. Week 1 for Ryan was more productive than any week last year and I expect it to continue.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cuffs » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:40 am

Hard to say exactly what the return is for a Matt Ryan investment for a few more weeks. One week is not a big enough sample size. He looked exceptional, and it seems safe to say that he'll have a better year than last year. The new offense caters to better fantasy production and gives his athletic receivers more opportunities to be athletes and make plays.

But I drafted him with the 48th pick. (I know it was high, but QBs were going fast and I was worried I would be stuck with a riskier pick later.) And his average ADP was 4th/5th round just before the season. If he averages within 5 fpts of what he produced this week, he's a steal as a 4th/5th round pick and will most likely finish in the neighborhood of QBs picked 2-3 rounds earlier. It doesn't look like he's going to underperform for a 4th/5th round pick, though, unless something really bad happens.

I broke the league single-game scoring record in week one, primarily because of Matt Ryan and Julio Jones (though Arian Foster, Kevin Smith, and Jimmy Graham had something to do with that).
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 35)

Postby ampant » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:04 pm

I took him at the top of the 4th ahead of Mike Vick. I'm pretty comfortable with that pick for a proven guy on a solid team who's performance has been improving, with tremendous weapons who plays indoors at least half the time. If I didn't take him there, I wasn't going to get him on the comeback, and I wanted a top QB. Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Stafford, Newton, were all gone early. Manning, Big Ben, Romo, Rivers were all drafted by the time my pick came around. So I basically started the 2nd QB run. I prefer ryan to all the guys that went afterwards, and one of the guys who went before (Newton).
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Return to Football Talk