RG3 - is he the real deal - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

RG3 - is he the real deal

Moderator: Football Moderators

RG3 - is he the real deal

Postby umma10 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:54 pm

I didn't get to watch the game but have high hopes for him. I didn't see a thread started but, what is everyone's thoughts on this guy.
umma10
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 44)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: RG3 - is he the real deal

Postby Stevooo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:36 pm

First off, I'm not saying that he wont be a stud QB but... his game was okay, but not great. He threw for 320 yards and 2 TDs. The 88 yard TD pass to Garcon was great, however it was just thrown up when he was under pressure and Garcon nabbed it and took it too the house. Had a better secondary been there that would have been picked. So if we take away that one play, his stat line is this: 232 yards and 1 TD. Now, if we look at that, it isn't nearly as impressive. He did add some rushing yards, which should be expected. The main thing is that he didn't lose the game for them, like alot of rookies do. So, I do like RG3 but I think he is being over-hyped at the moment. I am selling high in my leagues if I can. Just my $0.02. ;-D
I drink because of the 1998 NFC championship game.

12 team big $$$ non PPR league - QB RB RB WR WR TE D K

QB: Rivers
RB: Murray, Matthews, R.Bush, D. Brown
WR: Julio Jones, Colston, VJax, Garcon
TE: Witten, Gresham
K: Kaeding
DST: SEA
Stevooo
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby ampant » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:50 pm

I tend to agree with Stevooo. I think we often see this with hot new QBs that don't have any NFL game film on them. Just like Cam Newton exploded onto the scene the 1st 3rd of last season and then came back to earth. I would temper expectations for the future as defenses will be able to study and scheme for him as they accrue more game film.

I also worry about his durability if he keeps running around. Cam Newton is actually a bigger guy than RGIII. If he keep runnning around at that rate, he's going to be in line for like 160 rushing attempts. He 'aint exactly built like a fullback. That will catch up to him.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby VeganPhilosopher » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:38 pm

Since you already have two responses against RG3, I'll offer a perspective for RG3.

First let me address a couple issues I have with the previous posts. One issue I have is the argument that you should "take away" a play that actually happened. The play happened, you cannot just magically take it away. The other issue I have is the argument that teams do not have a book on RG3 yet, as if they could not study film of him in the preseason or in college or of Shanny's offense. I find both those arguments against RG3 pretty unpersuasive.

As far as the argument for RG3, it goes like this:

One thing to consider here is that Shanny's offense is a passing offense. The Redskins have been top 5 in pass attempts over the last two years. They attempted 591 passes last season and 546 in 2010. Last year Beck and Grossman totaled 4000 yards in this offense, and I think we can safely assume RG3 is better than them by far.

Another thing to consider is the addition of players like Josh Morgan and Pierre Garcon (both great YAC guys which means big play potential, as we saw with Garcon already) to compliment players like Santana Moss and Fred Davis. RG3 does have some weapons.

Another thing to consider is that RG3 will get rushing yards and rushing scores, which is a big boost to fantasy numbers in most formats. He had 40 rushing yards in week 1, and I think we can expect similar rushing numbers most weeks, as Washington is running an offense friendly to the speedy RG3's skill set (with run options, boots, and roll-outs heavily featured).

The fourth thing I'll mention is that RG3 has a pretty deep ball, so there is a good chance for even more big plays to come.

He is still a rookie, so I am not ready to elevate him to the upper echelon of QBs yet, but I do think RG3 is a legit fantasy starter this year. I'm not putting him ahead of Rodgers or Brees, but I would put him ahead of more marginal starters like Big Ben and Phillip Rivers. Making RG3 your starter is still a gamble, because he is only a rookie, but his upside is very enticing.
QB: R Griffin III, A Luck
RB: A Foster, F Gore, T Richardson, K Hunter, M Hardesty, A Green
WR: V Cruz, M Austin, P Garcon, S Moss, B Hartline
TE: J Witten
K: Matt Bryant
D: ATL.
VeganPhilosopher
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafeholic

Postby machine3 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:14 pm

VeganPhilosopher wrote:Since you already have two responses against RG3, I'll offer a perspective for RG3.

First let me address a couple issues I have with the previous posts. One issue I have is the argument that you should "take away" a play that actually happened. The play happened, you cannot just magically take it away. The other issue I have is the argument that teams do not have a book on RG3 yet, as if they could not study film of him in the preseason or in college or of Shanny's offense. I find both those arguments against RG3 pretty unpersuasive.

As far as the argument for RG3, it goes like this:

One thing to consider here is that Shanny's offense is a passing offense. The Redskins have been top 5 in pass attempts over the last two years. They attempted 591 passes last season and 546 in 2010. Last year Beck and Grossman totaled 4000 yards in this offense, and I think we can safely assume RG3 is better than them by far.

Another thing to consider is the addition of players like Josh Morgan and Pierre Garcon (both great YAC guys which means big play potential, as we saw with Garcon already) to compliment players like Santana Moss and Fred Davis. RG3 does have some weapons.

Another thing to consider is that RG3 will get rushing yards and rushing scores, which is a big boost to fantasy numbers in most formats. He had 40 rushing yards in week 1, and I think we can expect similar rushing numbers most weeks, as Washington is running an offense friendly to the speedy RG3's skill set (with run options, boots, and roll-outs heavily featured).

The fourth thing I'll mention is that RG3 has a pretty deep ball, so there is a good chance for even more big plays to come.

He is still a rookie, so I am not ready to elevate him to the upper echelon of QBs yet, but I do think RG3 is a legit fantasy starter this year. I'm not putting him ahead of Rodgers or Brees, but I would put him ahead of more marginal starters like Big Ben and Phillip Rivers. Making RG3 your starter is still a gamble, because he is only a rookie, but his upside is very enticing.

Agree with this 100%. I watched a good portion of the game (I have Morris) and I thought RG3 looked very good. He showed a great deal of poise for a rookie....I was impressed.
machine3
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby goose in my step » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:42 pm

i really liked wat i saw but i cant say it after one game, if maybe he does it 3 in a row ill will start to believe
goose in my step
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 185)

Postby ampant » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:52 pm

I wasn't saying the guy's a bum. I was just pointing out that it is a likelihood that people will scheme for him more effectively as he builds a body of work, and that he will have to learn to run less, because he's likely to get hurt if he rushes the ball 160 times/year. That's like a backup RB getting 35% of the snaps, and he ain't built like an RB.

He's obviously talented, and I'd be fine with him as my QB2, but I would feel uncomfortable if I had to rely on him to be my starter.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Return to Football Talk