Starting Ryan Matthews for Week 3? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Who to Start/Bench

Starting Ryan Matthews for Week 3?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Starting Ryan Matthews for Week 3?

Postby GenericUsername » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:14 am

I'm a bit weak on RB's on my team, and I'm debating if I should start Ryan Matthews this week, or see how well he does off his injury.

I can start 2 RB's (no flex) PPR, 6 for TD's, 5 for every 10 rushing yards:
Darren Sproles, Ryan Matthews, Kevin Smith, Alfred Morris, and Donald Brown.
Starting Sproles for sure, unsure if I should give Smith a go (risky with Leshoure coming back), Matthews (going to see a lot of action), or with Morrris.

What do you guys think?
Team: Snappy Japs
QB: Aaron Rogers
RB: Ryan Matthews, Alfred Morris
WR: Jordy Nelson, Percy Harvin,Torrey Smith/Titus Young
TE: Rob Gronkowski
K: Greg Zuerlein
DST: Available for matchup
GenericUsername Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Starting Ryan Matthews for Week 3?

Postby utility-hook » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:46 am

I will be starting him unless I hear he will be worked back in slowly and only have a limited role. I believe if he has a full week of practice, I dont see any reason why he wouldnt see a full workload though. So yes I would start him over Morris, Smith and Brown

help here
viewtopic.php?t=520762
utility-hook
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 51)

Postby disasterisk » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:54 am

I have both Mathews and Morris on my team and am in the same position.

If Mathews is cleared to start, I would definitely start him over Morris, and in a PPR league its not even close. He apparently could have started in week 2 but didn't because of the lack of practice.

Its important to remember that he is coming off a collar bone injury, its not an issue with his feet, legs, or torso, which means he shouldn't have any problems moving around out there and its not like a knee injury where he might think he is healthy but comes back too soon and feels soreness or tightness.

Mathews is going against the Falcons, who just got torched by McGahee on Monday Night Football. McGahee averaged over 5 yards a carry and eclipsed 100 yards. In week 1 the Falcons also allowed Charles to run for over 5 yards per carry, and he too would have rushed for over 100 yards if the Chiefs weren't getting blown out and forced to abandon the run. Mathews is also a dual threat back, much more so than either McGahee or Charles, and will get opportunities regardless of the score.

Gates could miss another game with his rib injury, who knows. Tolbert, the TD vulture, is gone. Ronnie Brown has played like hot garbage. Rivers doesn't even acknowledge that Meachem is on the field. Seeing as how Mathews will be involved regardless of the score of the game, its safe to say that he'll produce in week 3.

While I like having Morris on my team, and he seems to be holding onto the RB1 position on the Redskins for the time being, he has a few things going against him. For starters, he plays for Shanahan. He also doesn't see receiving opportunities. And finally, I don't know how many red zone looks he is going to get, as RG3 seems to enjoy running it in himself. Its nice having an RB on your fantasy team that doesn't (at this time) have to share carries with another RB, but Griffin essentially makes Washington''s backfield a running back committee anyway.

I'm actually looking to trade Morris as quickly as possible, as his situation is too volatile for me. Would rather trade him for a more proven player in a more secure role.

Kevin Smith is in danger of losing opportunities to LeShoure. Donald Brown isn't going to get enough opportunities to run the ball and likely never will this season. Luck is being asked, and is going to be put in a position because of the score, to throw a lot this season so he can develop.

I would rank them Mathews, Morris, Smith, Brown. Smith over Brown because he can catch passes from Stafford, which helps in PPR.
disasterisk
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby danicolorado » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:00 am

I'm a match-up guy and I think Kevin Smith and Darren Sproles should be your starts.

I wouldn't worry about Leshoure and Kevin is going against a weak TENN run D that is averaging 155 rushing yards against. And with Kevin only running for 53 yards in week 2, you can be sure to see him more motivated to get his numbers back. I would expect 15-20/75-100/1-2 numbers.

Matthews is healthy and going against a friendly ATL run D as well, giving up 135 rushing yards against. But beware of that game being a shoot-out with ATL having a top 3 OFF this year.

Sproles is going against KC which is giving up a ridiculous 37.5 yards per game. Expect a shoot-out there too and Sproles to grab 5-7/75/1-2.

Morris is a decent option as well.

You have an embarrassment of riches, my friend.
12-Man PPR
QB (1): T. Romo, A. Luck
WR (3): D. Bryant, D. Amendola, B. Lafell, D. Moore, A. Hawkins
RB (2): T. Richardson, M. Turner, D. Brown, J. Dwyer
TE (1): R. Gronkowski, D. Pitta
K (1): M. Crosby
DEF (1): BAL

Go Buffs!
danicolorado
Cheerleader
Cheerleader