New Commisioner How to handle trade requests - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

New Commisioner How to handle trade requests

Moderator: Football Moderators

New Commisioner How to handle trade requests

Postby Gman1969 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:09 pm

Guys,

This is my forth year playing, so I am not new to FFB, however I am new to the commisioner side of FFB this season.

I need some insight on how you guys look at/handle trades in your league. Do you base it on how the player(s) have performed thus far? Do you look at their potential for the season? Initial draft ranking (early on in the season)? How about lopsided trades i.e. 2 for 1?

I am faced with a trade already: Willis McGahee and Brandon LaFell for Greg Jennings. My gut is telling me that this not as even of a trade as the guys requesting the trade do! Though maybe I am being too catious since I am on the commisioners side of things. Really want to be fair and not piss anyone off.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Gman1969
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: New Commisioner How to handle trade requests

Postby Bolt-Up760 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:16 pm

In my 10 player league everyone has the ability to vote down trades between league owners. For example, after WK 1 a guy offered Jamaal Charles for Tony Gonzales and both accepted. However, this trade was quickly shot down by the rest of the league b/c the benefit was obviously too great for the receiver of J. Charles (at the time).

If 6/10 vote it down before Saturday AM the trade is void. If 5 or less, then it goes through. Makes the smack board more interesting too. Good luck!
Bolt-Up760
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby stomperrob » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Unless there's collusion, cheating or someone taking advantage of a beginner then you should let all trades go through. Just because it's a deal you wouldn't do or you think is unfair, should not be grounds for a veto. Veto powers are way too overused, let people play as they see fit, don't try to micro-manage everything!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:42 pm

stomperrob wrote:Unless there's collusion, cheating or someone taking advantage of a beginner then you should let all trades go through. Just because it's a deal you wouldn't do or you think is unfair, should not be grounds for a veto. Veto powers are way too overused, let people play as they see fit, don't try to micro-manage everything!

Ding, ding, ding!
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Prestige Worldwide » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:14 pm

I agree with the last two posters. At no point should owners or commissioners take "fairness" into vetoing the trade. The only time a trade should be vetoed is if you can prove collusion or cheating. You are the commissioner, not the manager of everyones team. If I think its best for my team to trade Calvin Johson for Julian Edleman, thats my right as long as I'm not doing it to collude with the other owner.
Prestige Worldwide
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 21)

Postby ffstosh » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:36 pm

In my league as the Commish, my policy is to approve all trades as well. If/when one comes across that I think is just flat out cheating, I put it to a league vote. Before this rule was put into place we had tons of problems with trades, since then, no issues at all. I think the league knowing before hand that cheating wont cut it, goes a long way to deter it. In the end, your job is to keep people honest, not intelleigent. I cant tell you how many times a trade as come to me and I say it sucks, untill three trades later when I've wished I had thought of that.
ffstosh
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby machine3 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:42 pm

Totally agree with the other posters. I have been commissioner for a long time in baseball and football leagues and I've never vetoed a trade. We don't put it up for a league vote because some guys will veto everything, or veto when certain teams are involved whether it was even or not. I've made several trades over the years that some thought were lopsided in my favor, and many of them ended up being bad deals for me.
machine3
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:13 pm

i have been commish of a 2 football and 2 baseball leagues for about 5 years now....i have never vetoed a trade.

i play w people i know personally which helps. and like others have said...only veto if its cheating or taking advantage of a new guy.
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Commissioner's Corner