The ultimate 'bust' roster. 4 huge duds. Advice? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

The ultimate 'bust' roster. 4 huge duds. Advice?

Moderator: Football Moderators

The ultimate 'bust' roster. 4 huge duds. Advice?

Postby Enesta » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:40 pm

Here's my lineup,

QB - Michael Vick, Matt Cassel
RB - Darren McFadden, C.J. Spiller, Chris Johnson, Rashard Mendenhall
WR - Steve Johnson, Danny Amendola, Brandon LaFell, Dez Bryant, James Jones, Michael Crabtree
TE - Antonio Gates, Coby Fleener
D/ST - Packers, Rams
K - Nate Kaeding, Nick Folk
HC - Saints, Cardinals

With an OP where I can place any offensive, including QB.

My draft position was awful in a 12 person league. I decided to take a couple of big risks. Clearly Chris Johnson isn't paying off whatsoever. Vick is shaky. McFadden is a big question mark. Dez Bryant is a dud thus far.

What can I do from here with what I've got? Luckily I did research on some sleepers and had CJ spiller from the draft and picked up Amendola early on. I'm at an 0-2 start, only one in the league.
Enesta
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: The ultimate 'bust' roster. 4 huge duds. Advice?

Postby LSUby50 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:32 am

That's not a bad squad so i wouldnt overreact to a slow start. I think the mistake you made is drafting too many guys early who are on the backside of their career-Vick, gates, CJ2.
Anyway, that's in the past now, so what to do?
QB-I'd stay with Vick and play him when healthy, but look to upgrade your backup QB. (maybe you could try to work out a trade for Andrew Luck to be your backup QB, or maybe somebody is throwing in the towel on a slow starting Peyton manning. I think Peyton will bounce back huge the 2nd half of the season.
RB's-I like McFadden still, and think he will bounce back with a 3 TD game any day now. He's a buy-low in my opinion so i wouldnt trade him in your position. Spiller was a nice pick and probably saved your butt this year. Im down on Chris Johnson, and was down on him ever since his hold out last year. Old RBs dont slowly decline, they fall off a cliff, and im afraid Cj is done. I'd try to unload him for whatever you can get, preferably a WR upgrade. I also think Ben tate is a lottery ticket if you can trade for him cheaply. Then if Foster gets hurt, you've got a top 5 RB.
WR's-too early to give up on Dez(i drafted him too with high hopes). But i still like that offense and think he will have a break out game soon. he is a feast or famine guy wich is tough for your #1 WR, but you gotta roll with him now. Amendola should be the rams #1 the remainder of the season but cant be this good every week. He's a sell high player right now so i'd try to trade him this week before he comes back down to earth. If not you could do worse than having him in your lineup.
TE-gates is always frustrating because he's always hurt. He plays when he's not supposed to and doesnt play when he isnt supposed to. And he's always productive when he plays. I guess stay with him unless you can get a top WR in a trade.

(im 1-1 in my league and last in scoring, so i'd advise you to do what i am doing-snatch up any free agent that has a good week, any backup that gets a chance to play because of injury. There are always free agents that make a huge fantasy impact andyou've got to get them early. Ive already picked up Morris, Andre Brown, Leshoure, Cobb, Richardson, Ogletree. you can always dump them if they dont pan out, but they could be the suprise players for this season. You've got to attack the free agent board every year, but especially when you have a bad draft and start out slow. Dont be too tied to the guys you drafted, unless you still feel they will improve. (i did make the mistake of dropping amendola after week 1)

PS: drop the extra Defense, kicker and HC. you only need 1 each week and should be able to play the matchups weekly. That will give you some room to grab some extra free agents.
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 59)

Postby oden » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:00 am

I don't think your team is an 'ultimate bust'. Maybe you have too many useless spots taking up space on your roster though. Like the above poster said, maybe consider grabbing some sleepers instead of have extra D/K.

But if I were you I would drop Fleener and, if available, pick up someone like Bennett or Celek (although they might be gone as of this last weeks waiver :/ ).
oden
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 3)

Postby i_b_sparks » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:37 am

See what the trade market is on Chris Johnson. He just got traded in one of my leagues for Peyton Manning. He's still got a little value, you just gotta find the owner who will bite. Also you might look at tryin to sell high on players like Spiller and Amendola while they are killing it. Buy low, sell high my friend.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=521715
i_b_sparks
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Enesta » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:18 pm

Thanks guys, lots of great, helpful input. Part of the issue is that it's my first year playing fantasy, I assume. I'm not sure if it's a league setting or what, but we're only allowed to add a certain amount at each position. 3 starting WR and 3 benched, 2 starting RB 2 benched, etc.
Enesta
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions