Donald Brown vs. Stevan Ridley - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Who to Start/Bench

Donald Brown vs. Stevan Ridley

Moderator: Football Moderators

Donald Brown vs. Stevan Ridley

Postby Warhawk » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:25 am

Had another thread where this was included, but most of the other stuff ended up in a concensus, and this is the one decision I'm really having trouble with.

Donald Brown vs. JAX
Stevan Ridley @ BAL

Now, everything else being equal, I'd start Ridley. However, while the Ravens are not as bad a matchup for Ridley as is commonly believed, there's no doubt Brown has the better matchup this week, given that Jacksonville has allowed the second most rushing yards at a 4.4 YPC clip, plus 5 TDs (tied for most in the NFL). Ridley has benefitted from more carries than Brown so far, which would obviously be in Ridley's favor, but the two receive roughly the same percentage of their team's carries (about 60%), and given the favorable matchup the Colts have here, the possibility is there that the touches gap won't be nearly as large as in the first 2 weeks. In the past, Brown has been better at home, while Ridley has been better on the road. Strictly speaking, Brown also has a better carries-per-touchdown ratio, though I wouldn't put too much weight on it given that both players are in different roles this season.

It could also be argued that this is a risky play versus a conservative play. Given the matchup, if either of them has a "huge" game, I'd expect it to be Brown. But Ridley may be the better back, and will get his touches against Baltimore.

I have this issue in a couple of leagues, neither of them PPR.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Donald Brown vs. Stevan Ridley

Postby rmsanger » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:48 am

It's a tough one... My gut is to say Brown given the matchups but frankly his running and pass blocking have looked pathetic thus far. I wouldn't be surprised if he's benched here shortly.

I'd got with Ridley; I assume he'll get under 100 yards but probably has a good shot @ a TD.
rmsanger
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 12)

Postby dh1339 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:09 am

Go Brown this week.
dh1339
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby tantrix1969 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:22 am

tough call,I'd roll with Brown by a nose expecting his floor to be least 60yds & a td
"When you watch him play, you’re like, ‘Oh God, he’s going to kill somebody,’ and that’s what I like about the young man.” ~ Jerome Henderson on Cowboys rookie safety J.J. Wilcox
tantrix1969
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 92)

Return to Who to Start/Bench