Changing rules mid-season that affect outcomes. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Changing rules mid-season that affect outcomes.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Changing rules mid-season that affect outcomes.

Postby jstjohn » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:38 pm

OK, I need to know how most leagues handle tie-breakers involving bench scoring. Is it more common to compare total bench scoring or the highest individual bench scorer from each team? My league co-commissioners claim that comparing total bench scoring is unfair since each team will have a different number of guys injured or on bye, yet I contend that using total bench scoring is better since it reflects your success at team building rather than rewarding you for your stupidity at sitting a guy who scores huge that week.

I tied one of those commissioners this weekend and the site awarded me the win due to having a higher total bench score. The commissioners went in today and changed it back to a tie saying THEIR intention was that ties were to be broken by the highest individual bench scorer and the site doesn't have a setting for that. I contend that retroactive rule changes in a money league is unacceptable. Also, I forgot to mention that neither of the commisshes has won a game and I was undefeated until they went back and changed an outcome on me.
jstjohn
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Changing rules mid-season that affect outcomes.

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:05 pm

That should never have been changed, it's your win. I have long since distanced myself from leagues (or at least settings) that allow for whole-point ties or tiebreakers, but I was always a fan of the "overtime" player (used to be used on Fanball and a few other places) as a mitigator if your league insists on using such a setup - it's where you pick one guy each as you set your lineups and their scores (head to head with your opponents OTP) is the tiebreaker. BUT, since it was pretty clear that total bench scoring was the setting and that it's not been made clear until this revisionist history-fest, one player should not determine the tiebreaker. Shenanigans. Honestly, I think they should not be allowed to commish any more while you're at it.

In future seasons, just roll with partial points (.1/yard for rushers/receivers and a smaller fraction for passing yards) and ties will be a thing of the past ;-D

Question: Were the highest bench scorers tied also? How did it end up a tie anyway? :-?
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Changing rules mid-season that affect outcomes.

Postby ffstosh » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:48 pm

I've never been a fan of in season rule changes. I agree, the rules were well known and in place, there is no cause to change this. If the others simply don't understand or are in collusion, I cant say. Common sense says you don't change it though. In my league, we used to have a tie breaker system as well, until that one time.. We had a tie game, where EVERYTHING was a tie. Our tiebreakers in oder were: Bench RB, Bench WR, Bench. When I set this up, I never thought it would go that far, well it did. All layers kept it tied. The site I use as a "fail safe" also added "home" team as a tie breaker, and yep the "home" team got the win. I and most of the league threw the bullsh** flag on this, but in the end the rules are the rules, the tie stood. We have since decided to not break tie's. The only tie we will break is in the playoffs, and then we simply made it be the higher seed. Not the best system, but it's a known system that we all adhere to.
ffstosh
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Commissioner's Corner