I want to learn: how do I make good flex spot decisions? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

I want to learn: how do I make good flex spot decisions?

Moderator: Football Moderators

I want to learn: how do I make good flex spot decisions?

Postby jedijunk » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:43 pm

This year my buddies finally got me to try FFB (in the 10-team league they've been doing for a while now, so I'm the rookie). I want to make the transition from chum to shark as fast as possible! How do you make good decisions about who to start in a Q/W/R/T slot? In other words, how do you go about comparing, say, a QB to an RB or WR? Most "who to start" player comparisons I've found on the web are for two guys in the same position. I saw someone mention figuring out whether your league scoring is weighted towards QB's or RB's but can't find info on how to do that. I'm 2 & 1 and 3rd overall so far. My current lineup (I hope I include the right info here):

QB - Peyton Manning
WR - Roddy White
WR - Hakeem Nicks
RB - LaSean McCoy
RB - Ryan Mathews
TE - Owen Daniels
W/R - Marshawn Lynch
Q/W/R/T - Carson Palmer (was contemplating Floyd this week)
K - David Akers
DEF - Chicago
BN - Malcom Floyd
BN - Brandon LaFell
BN - CJ Spiller (my lucky free pickup off of waivers before week 1!)
BN - Sydney Rice
BN - Aaron Hernandez

Also, am I carrying too much injury "dead weight" or is this normal? Thanks so much for any help/general decision-making input you can give! Oh, league scoring is:

Passing Yards 50 yards per point
Passing Touchdowns 6
Interceptions -2
Sacks -1
Rushing Yards 10 yards per point
Rushing Touchdowns 6
Receptions .5
Reception Yards 10 yards per point
Reception Touchdowns 6
Return Yards 15 yards per point 0
Return Touchdowns 6
2-Point Conversions 2
Fumbles Lost -2
Offensive Fumble Return TD 6
jedijunk
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: I want to learn: how do I make good flex spot decisions?

Postby 11stever11 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Welcome to the Cafe ;-D
When you have a QB flex spot, you start a QB there almost every time. I would look for an upgrade at QB because of that. A good way to figure out who to start at flex is ask here at the Cafe. It is normal to have a couple injured players that is the reason some leagues have a IR spot on the roster. In a 10 team league I think you can get a better option other then Sidney Rice though. Good luck this season, and I hope to see you around the forums! ;-D
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby jedijunk » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:04 pm

Cool. So to make sure I understand: "When you have a QB flex spot, you start a QB there almost every time" .... is this because QB's tend to score more fantasy points than RB's, or because of something else? I ask because all of my top point totals so far have come from RB's (CJ Spiller's first two monster 30+ point games, and LaSean McCoy had some big days too). Were those big games by my RB's a statistical fluke, or maybe due to the fact that my league bumped Passing Yards Per point up to 50 from the default of 25?

And as far as upgrading at QB, I'm guessing you're referring to dropping Palmer in favor of a better #2 QB that can fill that flex spot?

Thanks for the help... so much to learn!
jedijunk

Postby 11stever11 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:11 am

jedijunk wrote:Cool. So to make sure I understand: "When you have a QB flex spot, you start a QB there almost every time" .... is this because QB's tend to score more fantasy points than RB's, or because of something else? I ask because all of my top point totals so far have come from RB's (CJ Spiller's first two monster 30+ point games, and LaSean McCoy had some big days too). Were those big games by my RB's a statistical fluke, or maybe due to the fact that my league bumped Passing Yards Per point up to 50 from the default of 25?

And as far as upgrading at QB, I'm guessing you're referring to dropping Palmer in favor of a better #2 QB that can fill that flex spot?

Thanks for the help... so much to learn!

QBs tend to score more points then other positions. Take a look at the projected scores for quarterbacks before the season:
http://www.fftoday.com/rankings/playerproj.php?Season=2012&PosID=10&LeagueID=17
Then the running backs:
http://www.fftoday.com/rankings/playerproj.php?PosID=20&LeagueID=17
There were six quarterbacks that were projected over 300 fantasy points compared to just one running back. Also there was over 20 quarterbacks that were projected to go over 200 with just six running backs projected to go over 200 fantasy points.
The high point totals of Spiller and McCoy are not flukes. McCoy is an elite running back, so he is a must start over the second tier of quarterbacks backs. Spiller on the other hand may be a elite running back; however he will have to split carries with FJax, so I do not expect him to continue putting up 25+ points per game.
I would rather look to make a trade for a QB. I don't think I would pay top dollar for a QB, but I would certainly look around the league to see what the asking prices are. 6 points per passing TD combined with starting 2 QBs is the reason I would look for one.
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby jedijunk » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:26 pm

Ah. Ok that makes sense - thanks for the explanation!
jedijunk

Return to Beginner's Forum