Okay to carry three TE's? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Okay to carry three TE's?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Okay to carry three TE's?

Postby House » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:18 am

Someone in my standard-scoring, 12-man league just dropped Aaron Hernandez and I was thinking of trying to grab him off waivers, but I already have Antonio Gates and Heath Miller. My team looks like this:

QB: RG3, Andrew Luck
RB: Arian Foster, Frank Gore, Ryan Williams, DeAngelo Williams, Daryl Richardson
WR: Julio Jones, Victor Cruz, Pierre Garcon, Brandon LaFell
TE: Antonio Gates, Heath Miller
DE: Arizona
K: Jason Hanson

My thinking is that Hernandez could come back and be big, while Gates' age/injuries are worrisome and Miller might be overachieving.

Does it make sense to try to pick Hernandez up and then carry three tight ends for at least a few weeks, maybe even longer if they're all playing well? Or is this a bad idea?
House
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Okay to carry three TE's?

Postby VeganPhilosopher » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:49 am

Wow. Your team is eerily similar to my team.

I also own RG3, Luck, Foster, Gore, Cruz, and Garcon. Needless to say, I think you have a pretty good team there.

In answer to your question, you usually don't want to carry 3 TEs because you only start one, whereas you need a lot of depth at RB and WR because you start 2. This is even more true if you have to start a 3rd WR or a RB/WR flex, but a little less true if you can flex a TE (although ideally you want to flex RBs or WRs). So you should consider your format.

I do think it might sometimes be a good move to pick up a third TE if you have a need at TE (due to inury or performance) and if the player you are dropping is worth much less than the one you are picking up. You can always drop the worst one later, or even better you might be able to trade one if they are all doing well.

In your case I could see dropping Daryl Richardson to pick up Hernandez. I would not drop anybody else on that team though. I mostly say this because the difference in value between D Richardson and Hernandez seems pretty big to me, whereas the rest of your team seems like guys you want to keep (maybe not Lafell, except you need 4 WR with Garcon hurt).

Others may disagree, as I said you usually don't carry 3 TEs, but in some cases I can see doing it. I am actually carrying 3 TEs right now because my other two were such disappointments (but not yet ready to be released) and somebody I really like got waived. As with any other move you have to consider the costs and benefits. In your case I think the benefit of stashing Hernandez on your roster is worth the cost of your worst player.
QB: R Griffin III, A Luck
RB: A Foster, F Gore, T Richardson, K Hunter, M Hardesty, A Green
WR: V Cruz, M Austin, P Garcon, S Moss, B Hartline
TE: J Witten
K: Matt Bryant
D: ATL.
VeganPhilosopher
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafeholic

Postby House » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:38 am

Thanks for the thoughtful analysis. Unfortunately someone else got Hernandez, but I will keep your advice in mind for the next time a similar situation comes up.

;-D
House
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby wtr23 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:09 pm

I wouldn't mind carrying 3 TEs, I was considering doing so this week with Hernandez out and Pitta scoring 0 points. I ended up dropping Pitta and picking up Scott Chandler instead, hoping he would find the endzone and he did (twice). The way my league is set up we start 1 TE and have 1 flex (WR/RB/TE), so depending on injuries or depth in rosters 3 TEs isn't a bad idea if you are shallow at WR or RB.

I would also try to pick up Hernandez if I was you. He seems to be moving along quite well with the injury, and he will put up numbers once he's back. Gates has been injury prone but you can't argue with those numbers. Miller is playing well at the moment and is a good option throughout the year. I wouldn't mind having all 3 guys on my team .

If I had to get rid of one guy, it would be D Richardson, as he is the least productive player on your team. Hope this helps ;-D

**EDIT** just saw your most recent post.... :-t Still, If a good enough option at TE comes along (Martellus Bennett for example), I would drop Richardson to pick that player up.
(sig by soty)
wtr23
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 224)

Return to Beginner's Forum