Jackie Battle... Overtaking Mathews? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jackie Battle... Overtaking Mathews?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jackie Battle... Overtaking Mathews?

Postby oden » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:07 pm

The chargers depth chart has been updated and it says Battle is the RB1 and Mathews is now the RB2. Is this a remnant from last week and part of the message the coaching staff was sending Mathews for his costly fumble, or do you think Battle will actually be the RB1 this week?

http://www.chargers.com/team/depth-chart.html

I realize this situation will definitely unfold over the course of the week, but given what we know today, is Battle worth a waiver pick up tonight in an 8 man league? I think he's a solid back, just trying to gauge the situation and wondering what you all think about his upside.
oden
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jackie Battle... Overtaking Mathews?

Postby stomperrob » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:06 pm

Coach Norv Turner told Ryan Mathews last Wednesday that he wouldn't start versus the Chiefs.
The Chargers did a good job of keeping a tight lid on that tidbit. Turner also accepted a portion of the blame for Mathews' Week 3 fumble for using him too heavily in his first game back. The message having been sent, Mathews is expected to assume starting duties this week. It's quite possible that he's lost goal-line work to Jackie Battle, however. Oct 2 - 2:27 PM
Source: Union-Tribune San Diego

Jackie Battle admits he was shocked to receive the bulk of the Chargers' running back load in Week 4 against the Chiefs.
In other words, the Chargers didn't use Battle as the first-team back in practice to prepare him for the role. There's no depth-chart switch. They were sending Ryan Mathews a message. "I had no idea I was going to get that much work," Battle said. "They kept sending me back out and calling my number, so I figured I was doing something right." Since Mathews handled 16 touches without fumbling, look for him to handle the majority of work in Week 5 against New Orleans. Oct 1 - 6:08 PM
Source: North County Times

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4291/jackie-battle
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby oden » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:14 pm

Thanks.
oden
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:09 am

From what I have read Mathews will resume starting duties but will lose a decent % to Battle. Its still a time share though and one more fumble puts Mathews in the dog house again.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby TitsMcGahee » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:51 am

Mathews will regain this job within a week, and if not 2.
TitsMcGahee
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 28)

Postby Chibears » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:32 pm

From Rotoworld....

Chargers now list Jackie Battle as RB starter The Chargers.com depth chart now lists Jackie Battle as San Diego's first-team tailback, ahead of Ryan Mathews.
Fantasy land loses its mind in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... We'll give the Chargers this: if this is all part of a message-sending process aimed at Mathews, it's certainly elaborate and bordering on public torment. Mathews was mistake free on 16 touches in Week 4 aside from one dropped pass on an apparent miscommunication with Philip Rivers. In Week 3, his red-zone fumble occurred on the third possession of the game after Mathews missed the previous six weeks with a collarbone fracture. Against the Chiefs last week, Battle was the primary back until the blowout win got out of hand. We'll have more on the Battle-Mathews situation as the week moves forward, but for now the tea leaves suggest this will be a timeshare backfield until something changes, despite a major talent disparity between the two runners. Source: chargers.com Oct 3 - 2:32 PM
QB - Mathew Stafford
RB - Doug Martin, Trent Richardson, Steven Jackson, Chris Ivory, Reggie Bush, Lamar Miller
WR - Dez Bryant, Larry Fitzgerald, Randall Cobb, Dwayne Bowe, DeSean Jackson, Alshon Jeffery
TE - Jimmy Graham
K - Phil Dawson
D/ST - Seahawks
Chibears
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Stelly » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:59 pm

I can't decide if Mathews is a good buy low or not right now. His owner in my league is looking to unload him and I'm not sure if I should move on him or not. I already have Rice and Forte, so I'm not desperate @ RB.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby oden » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:45 pm

I think this week will be telling. Mathew's stock will either soar and Battle's will plummet or vice versa.
oden
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby TitsMcGahee » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:44 am

Stelly wrote:I can't decide if Mathews is a good buy low or not right now. His owner in my league is looking to unload him and I'm not sure if I should move on him or not. I already have Rice and Forte, so I'm not desperate @ RB.

Trade for Mathews if you can, this will be the lowest his stock will be all year. I expect him to win back the starting role after this week if he hasn't already earned it. They could just be listing Battle as the starter, but hands down Mathews is the more talented of the two and gives them the best chance to win.
TitsMcGahee
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 28)

Postby rotoquest » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:29 am

RotoWorld:
Chargers coach Norv Turner was noncommittal Friday when asked who he'll start at running back in Week 5 against the Saints.
"The starter, we'll find out on the first play of the game," Turner said. If the Chargers had truly had a permanent depth-chart change, it stands to reason Turner wouldn't have been so evasive and named Jackie Battle the starter as he was last week. But that's not the case. Turner did indicate that Battle and Mathews will form a Week 5 timeshare. "It’s not a big deal," said Turner. "One had 14 carries and one had 15 carries (last week), and if we can get that done again, it’ll be outstanding."

Looks like a definite time share. Mathews will probably get more yards overall, but Battle will probably get more goal line touches. Really hurts Mathews value for the foreseeable future.
rotoquest
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk