Jackie Battle... Overtaking Mathews? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jackie Battle... Overtaking Mathews?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Jackie Battle... Overtaking Mathews?

Postby moochman » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:36 pm

So which is worse? A player who just doesn't get it, or a team that doesn't? Either Mathews is such a dolt that he doesn't practice or play well enough and needs constant motivating, or the Bolts FO is so bull-headed that it doesn't just admit the blew it and drop Mathews to 3rd string.
Were I a Mathews owner I'd hope he does well vs the Saints and sell sell sell.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GenericUsername » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:18 am

Stelly wrote:I can't decide if Mathews is a good buy low or not right now. His owner in my league is looking to unload him and I'm not sure if I should move on him or not. I already have Rice and Forte, so I'm not desperate @ RB.

Get him, it'll be a good investment later on when he starts so you can fill another position you may be weak in. You can't ask for a better time to buy
Team: Snappy Japs
QB: Aaron Rogers
RB: Ryan Matthews, Alfred Morris
WR: Jordy Nelson, Percy Harvin,Torrey Smith/Titus Young
TE: Rob Gronkowski
K: Greg Zuerlein
DST: Available for matchup
GenericUsername Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:54 pm

GenericUsername wrote:
Stelly wrote:I can't decide if Mathews is a good buy low or not right now. His owner in my league is looking to unload him and I'm not sure if I should move on him or not. I already have Rice and Forte, so I'm not desperate @ RB.

Get him, it'll be a good investment later on when he starts so you can fill another position you may be weak in. You can't ask for a better time to buy

Dead on this week. Mathews got his job back and Flourished. I think he would have been a great bye low if you ended up getting him.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby nbay23 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:29 pm

Mathews had a big game. But only had 12 rushing attempts. Not sure what Norv is thinking. Mathews was killing the Saints when he touched the ball. Those screen passes were practically indefensible. At one point, he was rushing on average about 10 yards a pop. Yet, he didn't get that many touches. It's so clear that he's waaay better than Battle or Brown. When he's on the field, the offense is clicking, and the Saints defense is really on their heels. I just don't see how Norv can justify having battle or brown on the field when Mathews plays like that. I hope he learns a lesson from this loss, and stop trying to outsmart himself.
nbay23 Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Icemanzdoinwork » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:41 pm

Norv is a fool. Not only did Mathews tear it up while on the field. He threw a crucial block late in the game for Rivers. Was a beauty.
Icemanzdoinwork
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby nbay23 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:05 am

I just loved it when they started with Battle on the first series, then went 3 and out. Then when Mathews comes in, they march the ball down the field for a td. But this wasn't enough for Norv. When they did finally take Battle out, Brown would show up taking many snaps away from Mathews. So Mathews can't get into a rhythm. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that even when Mathews doesn't touch the ball, his presence alone in the field opens things up for the offense. Norv is an idiot.
nbay23 Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby TitsMcGahee » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:47 am

I think Norv is just a stubburn old man. Mathews is so explosive and good out of the backfield catching, it makes no sense what so ever to be playing these scrubs (Battle, Brown) at all. It made me mad to see Brown in there towards the end of the game because Norv is scared to take a chance of Mathews fumbling it. The 2nd to last drive at the end of the game where they were forced to punt, Mathews was on the bench. Had they used Mathews in a Charles like role they would have won.
TitsMcGahee
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 28)

Postby Sex Panther » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:34 pm

Norv has been doing this for years.

LT was LT, he was dominant, his last couple of years in SD, LT was getting spelled by Tolbert/Hester/Sproles for no good reason.

Now Mathews is losing touches to 2 bums in Battle & Brown - it makes no sense what so ever. I understand giving a guy a breather on occassion, but it is so glaringly obvious that Mathews is far and away the greatest threat on that offense.

If I were a Chargers fan, I would be livid.

That said, cant just look at it as "he only had 12 carries", he also had 6 catches. The sad thing is he turned those 18 touches into 139 yards - 7.7 per touch, who knows what the outcome of last night's game would have been if instead of being Norved the Bolts had their best playmaker on the field instead of hot garbage Battle from the onset or on the field at the end of the game rather than washed up Ronnie Brown... you would think it makes sense to have your most explosive playmaker at least touch the ball during the last drive of the game...

San Diego - 2:51

1st-10, SD15 2:51P. Rivers passed to M. Floyd down the middle for 24 yard gain

1st-10, SD39 2:24P. Rivers passed to R. Brown to the left for 6 yard gain

2nd-4, SD45 2:18 P. Rivers passed to R. Brown to the left for 10 yard gain

1st-10, NO45 2:00 P. Rivers sacked by C. Jordan

2nd-17, SD48 1:53 San Diego committed 10 yard penalty

2nd-27, SD38 1:45 San Diego committed 10 yard penalty

2nd-37, SD28 1:40 New Orleans committed 5 yard penalty

1st-10, SD33 1:32 P. Rivers passed to R. Brown to the left for 11 yard gain

1st-10, SD44 1:00 P. Rivers passed to M. Floyd to the left for 7 yard gain

2nd-3, NO49 0:53 P. Rivers passed to M. Floyd down the middle for 6 yard gain

1st-10, NO43 0:34 P. Rivers passed to R. Brown to the left for 10 yard gain

1st-10, NO33 0:28 P. Rivers incomplete pass down the middle

2nd-10, NO33 0:23 P. Rivers incomplete pass to the left

3rd-10, NO33 0:14 P. Rivers sacked by M. Wilson. P. Rivers fumbled. M. Wilson recovered fumble

Game over.

Sad part is just how terrible their game plan was - they only attempted 18 rushes on the day, granted, Rivers was playing well, but when Mathews is going off for 6.7 a carry, and the Saints had absolutely no answer for him, in a game they were winning going into the 4th quarter - just another example of Norv being an idiot.

On the bright side, IMO it is only a matter of time before he (Mathews) absolutely dominates the workload out of the backfield & Turner gets fired (then again, people have been saying the later for several years now).
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Sex Panther » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:43 pm

And just for giggles, Norv gets to make an idiot of himself next Monday Night again... divisonal game vs DEN... a team that just got SHREDDED to the tune of 251 yards rushing (on 54 attempts, 4.65 per carry) by the Patriots...

Game plan should be relatively simple - run the ball, keep Manning off the field. Will it happen? Probably not as long as Norv is the doing what he does best - being an idiot...

If given the chance (ie 25+ touches), Mathews will eclipse 200 YFS vs the Broncos.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby nbay23 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:41 pm

Yep, come monday night, Norv will outsmart himself again and start Battle/brown and bench Mathews for the first series. They'll go 3 and out and punt. They'll waste a series before he gets Mathews in there. What an idiot.
nbay23 Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk