Use a high Waiver position to pick up a BYE week DEF? WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Use a high Waiver position to pick up a BYE week DEF? WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Use a high Waiver position to pick up a BYE week DEF? WHIR

Postby cfred » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:21 pm

Hey, so would any of you on here use a high waiver wire spot to pick up a BYE week defense?

I have Chicago's DEF in two different 12 team leagues. In one league I am Waiver position 2. In the other I am waiver position 3. Chicago's bye is next week and I am considering using that waiver spot to pick up STL defense to use against MIA next week. I believe this defense is legit, and the matchup can't get much better than that one.

So what do you all think? Is it worth the high waiver spot to make sure I get the defense I want on a bye week? Because chances are I'll go right back to Chicago the next week (I haven't looked at the specific matchups, yet tho) I think that there is a greater than 50% chance that someone would claim STL in either one of those leagues if I do not...

EDIT: Both Leagues move to the end of the line after every waiver wire pick up.
Last edited by cfred on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cfred
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Use a high Waiver position to pick up a BYE week DEF? WH

Postby fierro33 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:27 pm

not a chance...never waste a waiver claim on a defense.....fantasy 101

viewtopic.php?t=524489
fierro33
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jay0582 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:56 pm

thanks for the help with mine...

if your league moves to the end of the line after a claim then do not do it... If your league resets waiver order each week by inverse order of the standings and there is no one else you really want to grab on the waivers then sure go for it.
jay0582
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)

Postby cacky » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:19 pm

Too much to spend on a defense, especially since there is so much week to week volatility. (i.e. last week the Giants were supposed to be pretty good against Philly; this week Arizona was supposed to be great against STL -- what happened?). You can be more thoughtful about finding good matchups on defense, and then save your high waiver pick for an impactful position player.
cacky
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mycuccismells » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:24 pm

As others have said this is an easy one, dont even consider doing that. Every week there are about 3-4 waiver wire Ds that look good on paper, you can find another in free agency if STL gets picked up.
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 358)

Postby cfred » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:35 pm

All right I guess it seems like a 100% consensus to stick to the general knowledge and not pick up a DEF using a waiver claim.

The thing is that someone did use a waiver claim to pick up the Vikings DEF to go against Tennessee with their preferred team (Cowboys DEF) on bye and still on their bench.

I'd consider this manager to be one of the better ones in the league, so it'd can't be all wrong.

And in the 2nd league I am in, both the Dolphins DEF and the Giants DEF were picked up using waivers this past week.
With that in mind, I'm pretty certain someone will use waivers on St Louis DEF this coming week. But I guess, I may take all your advice and find a Defense after waivers.

But the thing is... I don't think there has been anybody worth picking up on waivers for me since Alfred Morris after week one in all actuality...
cfred
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby cacky » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:40 pm

cfred wrote:All right I guess it seems like a 100% consensus to stick to the general knowledge and not pick up a DEF using a waiver claim.

The thing is that someone did use a waiver claim to pick up the Vikings DEF to go against Tennessee with their preferred team (Cowboys DEF) on bye and still on their bench.

I'd consider this manager to be one of the better ones in the league, so it'd can't be all wrong.

And in the 2nd league I am in, both the Dolphins DEF and the Giants DEF were picked up using waivers this past week.
With that in mind, I'm pretty certain someone will use waivers on St Louis DEF this coming week. But I guess, I may take all your advice and find a Defense after waivers.

But the thing is... I don't think there has been anybody worth picking up on waivers for me since Alfred Morris after week one in all actuality...

^ Aside from Brian Hartline (assuming he was even available), I would agree.
cacky
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby jay0582 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:43 pm

waivers this year have definitely been skinny for sure compared to last year with guys like victor cruz, darren sproles, and cam newton all available on waivers early on
jay0582
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)

Postby mycuccismells » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:50 pm

Someone will pop up, just keep that spot and after this week you will probably be #1. Just hold that until a starting RB or something goes down and then you will get the guy everyone else wants. Defenses are a dime a dozen once you get past the first few, and considering most people dont swap unless theirs goes on a bye you can always find one that has a favorable matchup
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 358)

Postby LombardiParty » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:13 pm

I'd be fine with that as long as there is no one else worth picking up. It's hard to say until games are played, but with pickups being so slim besides Morris, Leshore, and the like, I don't think it's a big blunder even in the worst case.
LombardiParty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 19)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions