Newton & Panthers - just plain ugly - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Newton & Panthers - just plain ugly

Moderator: Football Moderators

Newton & Panthers - just plain ugly

Postby stomperrob » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:27 pm

That offense is just brutally ugly to watch! :-P

Sunday, October 7, 2012
Panther offense fails miserably in 16-12 defeat to Seattle

The Carolina Panthers played another very ugly game at home Sunday, losing 16-12 to Seattle to drop to 1-4 on what is rapidly becoming another lost season.

Much like the season opener against Tampa Bay, the Panthers’ offense ultimately let the team down this time. Carolina’s defense not only kept the game close but also scored the Panthers’ only touchdown, on a 33-yard interception return by Captain Munnerlyn that briefly put Carolina ahead, 10-6.

But the Panthers’ offense was horrible. It couldn’t run the ball and DeAngelo Williams lost a key fumble that eventually led to Seattle’s only TD. And Cam Newton threw the ball more poorly than I’ve ever seen him throw it, generating more boos at Bank of America Stadium than he ever has before.

Entering the fourth quarter, Newton was 5-for-20 for 55 yards. It was stunning. The Seahawks’ pass rush was great, yes, and Newton had several dropped balls, but still – five completions in three quarters?!

Trailing 16-10, the Panthers got untracked for one last drive and, after several straight completions, had a first-and-goal at the 6 and a fourth-and-goal at the 1.

But on that fourth-and-goal play, Carolina took out all of its wide receivers and then tried to trick Seattle with a play-action pass. Tight end Greg Olsen was double-covered and Newton tried to guide the ball to his secondary target, Ben Hartsock, who was open for a moment, but he grounded it five yards short.

con't...

more: http://scottfowlerobs.blogspot.ca/2012/ ... in-16.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Newton & Panthers - just plain ugly

Postby moochman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:33 pm

I Know it won't happen in our world of athlete who are cupcake tough, but Newton needs to sit. Didn't see much of the game, but what little I did see showed a QB who's head is all messed up. Great Job, coach :-t

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:37 pm

moochman wrote:I Know it won't happen in our world of athlete who are cupcake tough, but Newton needs to sit. Didn't see much of the game, but what little I did see showed a QB who's head is all messed up. Great Job, coach :-t

It seem like the defenses have figured out how to adjust to Newton this year, but now neither Newton or the coaches have figured out how to adjust to the way the defenses are playing against them. Newton just looks completely lost at times out there.
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Montana168 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:14 pm

While I do believe Cam is the most overrated player in the NFL, the biggest problem here is the play calling. They have all that money locked up between D-Will, J-Stew and Tolbert. Yet, they all collected a combined 11 total rushing attempts in today's game. The panthers' problem is not establishing the run early. They start with a few runs, then when they end up in 2-3 yd gains, they completely abandon it early and put the rock in Cam's hands and he's failed miserably (from a real NFL game perspective, not as glaring from a stats/fantasy football perspective).

IMO, for the Panthers to get back on track, they need to give those 3 RB 30 total rushing attempts per game in order to keep Cam's pass attempts around 20 /game.
Montana168
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera: Cam Newton is pressing
By Joseph Person
jperson@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Monday, Oct. 08, 2012

Panthers coach Ron Rivera believes second-year quarterback Cam Newton has been pressing and trying to hit too many downfield passes when other receivers are open underneath.

Newton had one of his worst games Sunday in a 16-12 loss to Seattle. He completed 41.4 percent of his passes (12 of 29) for 141 yards – both career lows – and was sacked four times.

Newton did not lead a touchdown drive.

“I think he’s pressing, personally I do. He wants to make things happen so much,” Rivera said Monday. “He’s trying very hard to do those things, do the right things. It’s all part of him developing as a football player.”

Through five games, Newton is off the pace he set in 2011 when he was the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year. Newton’s 58.8 completion percentage is nearly identical to his 58.2 percentage at this same point last season.

But he’s thrown for 456 fewer yards and has taken four more sacks. Rivera and offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski said there are times when Newton has to get rid of the ball more quickly.

con't...

more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/1 ... ivera.html
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:55 pm

Carolina Panthers fire general manager Marty Hurney
By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League editor
Published: Oct. 22, 2012 at 09:53 a.m.
Updated: Oct. 22, 2012 at 12:30 p.m

Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton said after Carolina's latest crushing loss that "something had to change." It didn't take long.

The Panthers announced Monday morning that General Manager Marty Hurney has been relieved of his duties. He's run the team since 2002.

"This was an extremely difficult decision," said owner Jerry Richardson in a statement. "Marty made every effort to bring success to the Panthers and took the team to a Super Bowl and two NFC championship games. Unfortunately, we have not enjoyed the success we hoped for in recent years. I have the greatest respect and admiration for Marty and will always appreciate the way he tirelessly served the organization."

Brandon Beane, Director of Football Operations for the Panthers, is handling the team's day-to-day operational duties in Hurney's absence. Hurney's replacement has not been named.

The Panthers had their share of success under Hurney, but it was never sustained. They followed up their Super Bowl year with a 7-9 season. They followed up their '08 12-4 season with an 8-8 mark. Hurney was never able to deliver back-to-back winning years.

Things really went south after 2008. Hurney doubled down on Jake Delhomme's contract, which put his team in a huge hole. He got the Jimmy Clausen pick wrong. Outside of Cam Newton, the Panthers have very little to show for the last few drafts.

con't...

more: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... rty-hurney
stomperrob

Return to Football Talk