Pick 1 WR for week 6: Austin, Hartline, or Garcon. WHiR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Who to Start/Bench

Pick 1 WR for week 6: Austin, Hartline, or Garcon. WHiR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pick 1 WR for week 6: Austin, Hartline, or Garcon. WHiR

Postby VeganPhilosopher » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:20 am

The thread title basically says it all.

I have one spot in my starting lineup available for either Miles Austin, Pierre Garcon, or Brian Hartline. Flex is set with Frank Gore.

Austin is coming off the bye week and has put up between 13 and 16 points every week. Its hard to argue with consistency like that in a match-up I'm heavily favored in. The only thing that gives me pause is the match-up against Baltimore with the Cowboys offense showing signs of trouble. The Ravens defense is no joke, and well, the Cowboy's offense sorta is.

Hartline is one of the highest scorers in fantasy football right now. A lot of that is due to a one week explosion. He did also have another 100 yard game this year, and he has led the team in targets most weeks. However, Miami runs first and isn't that great an offense, and Hartline has had 3 dud weeks. I like him a lot, that's why I own him, but he is boom or bust in my mind. I think the match-up against StL is a little better, although the Rams D can be nasty too.

Garcon is a guy I drafted with High expectations. A 1000 yard wide-out is almost a guarantee in a Kyle Shanahan offense. I was very pleased when he put up 100 yards and a touchdown in the first quarter of the first game of the season. I have been disappointed since, owing partly to an injury that kept him out for 2 weeks. He has not been able to get it going since returning to the field in week 4 though, and there is some question whether RG3 will play, so I hesitate on Garcon until I see something from him. Washington faces Minnesota this week, a 4-1 team with an axe to grind against them (see AP injury last season).

12-team auction league. 0.5 PPR with yardage bonuses. The rest of my roster is in my signature.

As always I WHiR (and I usually give pretty extensive feedback), so just leave a link in your post if you want my two cents on your situation.
QB: R Griffin III, A Luck
RB: A Foster, F Gore, T Richardson, K Hunter, M Hardesty, A Green
WR: V Cruz, M Austin, P Garcon, S Moss, B Hartline
TE: J Witten
K: Matt Bryant
D: ATL.
VeganPhilosopher
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Pick 1 WR for week 6: Austin, Hartline, or Garcon. WHiR

Postby chargergdm » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:34 am

Hey man,

This is a tough call. Of the three, I am between Hartline and Austin. There are just too many questions surrounding Garcon going into the week.

Austin has been among the most consistent WR's in fantasy this year. He's kind of sneaking under everyone's radar, but if you go by points, he's a top 10 WR. That being said, he faces a lot more competition in the air than Hartline does. Romo has 4-5 options if you include Witten and Murray. But after last week, Bryant looked out of sync with Romo. Austin has had the most stable hands for the team and looks like Romo's most trusted red zone target with 3 TDs.

Hartline is having one of those hair-pulling fantasy seasons. I have him on my roster as well but I just can't bring myself to start him yet. I know I'll be regretting it once he goes for 25 points on my bench, but until he does, he's about as boom or bust as you get. I need to see some back to back weeks of strong production before I can justify starting him over some of my safer options.

With all that being said, I'd go with Austin. Other than last week (and I wouldn't use KC's passing offense as a good base for judgement) the Ravens haven't had the lock down passing defense that they've fielded in recent memory. Romo is a talented guy and I'm sure he's itching to get back on the field to show that he's not a 5 pick QB. As long as Reggie is healthy for Miami, he will be the focus of their offense.

Hope this helps, Good luck!

What do you think about my situation?
viewtopic.php?t=524993
chargergdm
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby prince_45243 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:12 pm

Thanks for your help on mine. I agree with Austin but a coin toss between hartline and garcon. Hartline has a really tough matchup vs. STL and Miami should be able to use their ground game more effectively limiting touches even more for hartline. MIN is a slightly better matchup for garcon and the back up at WAS has good mojo with garcon. I think I'd tip that way.
-Prince_45243
prince_45243
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 26)

Postby sabercats » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:21 pm

I will start Austin because he is Romo's target in red zone and a long pass. Romo has problem with Dez Bryan :-)
Help me if you can :-) viewtopic.php?t=525152
sabercats
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 48)

Postby big.d57 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:22 am

I'd start Austin. Romo's most consistent guy and Dez still isn't on the same page with Romo. Garcon is still dealing with his injury and Hartline is playing a respectable Rams D.

viewtopic.php?t=525087
big.d57
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 172)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby VeganPhilosopher » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:33 pm

Everybody says Austin, and I think that is the route I'll take, but the Baltimore match-up still scares me.

Also, Hartline has significantly more points this year.

Anybody else have any feedback? As always leave a link if you want my opinion on your quandary.
QB: R Griffin III, A Luck
RB: A Foster, F Gore, T Richardson, K Hunter, M Hardesty, A Green
WR: V Cruz, M Austin, P Garcon, S Moss, B Hartline
TE: J Witten
K: Matt Bryant
D: ATL.
VeganPhilosopher
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafeholic

Postby ZiggyZiggington » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:09 pm

I like Austin.

If you are heavily favored in your matchup already why not go with the guy you know is going to give you start worthy points rather than someone who might have big upside but could just as well post a big ol' goose egg for you. Baltimore may not look like a good matchup at first, but they havent posted awesome numbers against wideouts this season. 3 of their games so far were against Cleveland, Philli, and KC, none of whom serve as viable examples of teams who can pass.

Garcon should go back to being RG3's (or Cousins') favorite target, but the Vikings play some good defense and its likely the ball will have to be spread around some. Im starting Garcon this week, but I don't have a lot of choices besides him (Im starting Brandon Gibson too, god help me).

Hartline is, as far as I figure it, a one-hit-wonder. He did have another 100yd game in week 2, albeit against Oakland, but in the other 3 games he has recorded only 8 catches totaling less than 150yds. If he has Finnegan on him all game, I dont foresee a lot of potential for a big game. Every player gets an aberration game every once in a while, but until Hartline can prove otherwise thats all it was.

Your input? viewtopic.php?t=525589
ZiggyZiggington
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 3)

Postby FirstCoast » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:13 pm

I'd take Austin as well. Hartline gets a good number of targets, but I don't see him doing much against the Rams secondary. I don't trsut Garcon so much right now. Austin is pretty consistent, and the Ravens defense has given up more yards this year than normal.
2012 FF League Champion
2012 FF League Scoring Title
2012, 2013 March Madness Champions
FirstCoast
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 54)

Postby dartman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:23 pm

Go with who you drafted - I am assuming Austin - Harline doesn't have the cred....yet.
dartman
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Who to Start/Bench