Pick a QB for week 6: RG3 or Luck. WHiR. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Who to Start/Bench

Pick a QB for week 6: RG3 or Luck. WHiR.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pick a QB for week 6: RG3 or Luck. WHiR.

Postby VeganPhilosopher » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:57 am

The question is in the title. Who to start at QB: Robert Griffin III or Andrew Luck?

I imagine most people will say what my instinct says and that is start RG3 if he is going to play, if not go with Luck. In other words, make the play based on the injury status. In the end this may be a non-issue because RG3 suffered a concussion last weekend and his status is in doubt, in which case I obviously go with Luck.

My question is assuming Griffin does play should I consider Luck anyway? Before you say I'm crazy for asking this consider what follows.

Luck is trending in the right direction. These are his week by week fantasy points in my league:

week 1: 11 points
week 2: 19 points
week 3: 25 points
week 5: 34 points

You see why I might be inclined to start him? The only real concern I have is that he is facing a pretty stingy Jets secondary.

RG3, we all know, has been one of the best players in fantasy football this year, due in large part to the many rushing yards and scores he has accumulated. However, the Shana-clan in DC has taken a lot of heat for letting their QB get hit so often, and as a result they seem to be using the option plays and designed runs less frequently. Last week before exiting the game midway through the third quarter, Griffin had only carried the ball twice in the game, and had yet to score a passing or rushing touchdown. Now couple that tidbit with the assumption that RG3 will be protected if he plays at all. I assume the Shanahans will be even more inclined to run the ball and limit the stuff that exposes their franchise QB to hits following his concussion.

I probably will start RG3 if he is given the green light, but I am not sure it is an obvious slam-dunk of a play though, and I was hoping you guys might offer some input.

12 team auction league. Yardage bonuses. Rushing yds/TD > passing yds/TD.

As always I WHiR, just leave a link in your response. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
QB: R Griffin III, A Luck
RB: A Foster, F Gore, T Richardson, K Hunter, M Hardesty, A Green
WR: V Cruz, M Austin, P Garcon, S Moss, B Hartline
TE: J Witten
K: Matt Bryant
D: ATL.
VeganPhilosopher
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Pick a QB for week 6: RG3 or Luck. WHiR.

Postby curtk » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:49 pm

Luck is proving to be a top 10 QB. Given the uncertainty over RG3 because of his injury, I might roll with Luck. Sure, he's facing the Jets, but with Revis out, they're vulnerable. Of course, there's a risk that IND gets up big and throws less, but that's less risky than the alternative that you mentioned: RG3's value declines because he runs less.

If you hand Luck the reins, there's a good chance that you'll at least break even, and you might end up way ahead. Unless something later in the week changes the picture dramatically, go with Luck...and hope that he's good Luck and not bad! :)

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=525059
Thanks!
curtk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 9)

Postby archie814 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:26 pm

RG3 has been good, but with the concussion and a good MIN defense, I'm rolling with the safe pick in Luck. He has been solid the last few weeks and I don't see why he can't continue that trend against the Jets.
viewtopic.php?t=525064
archie814
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby VeganPhilosopher » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:29 pm

It is looking more like RG3 will play now than it did when I started this thread. He has been practicing and has not had any setbacks or lingering concussion symptoms.

I'm leaning towards RG3, because I just cannot bring myself to bench the guy given what he has done so far this season, but I still have a nagging feeling that I should play Luck.

Looking for more feedback and WHiR. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
VeganPhilosopher
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafeholic

Postby VeganPhilosopher » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:08 am

Just reading through Eisenberg's start-sit column (CBS Sports), which is usually pretty good.

He has Luck as a start:

Andrew Luck (at NYJ): The Jets pass defense hasn't been their problem this season even with the loss of Darrelle Revis to a torn ACL. Ryan Fitzpatrick and Ben Roethlisberger are the only two quarterbacks who scored multiple touchdowns against the Jets and Revis was healthy for those two matchups. But Luck has been hot of late with at least 22 Fantasy points in his past three games with multiple touchdowns in each of those outings. He should find success again and has become a No. 1 Fantasy quarterback.

He has RG3 as a sit:

Bust alert: Robert Griffin III (vs. MIN): The Vikings defense has been impressive, especially of late. After giving up 484 passing yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions against Blaine Gabbert and Luck in the first two weeks, they have shut down Smith, Matthew Stafford and Matt Hasselbeck the past three games, holding them to 757 passing yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions combined. They are the only team to intercept Smith and keep Stafford from throwing a touchdown, and Griffin might not be 100 percent this week following last week's concussion. He's expected to play, but he hasn't thrown a touchdown in two games and could be a little skittish running after last week's hit. Like Romo, it's tough to bench Griffin, but you should plan on other alternatives for this week if you can.

Now I'm thinking of putting Luck in. You guys agree?
VeganPhilosopher
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafeholic

Postby VeganPhilosopher » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:22 am

Luck is in my lineup right now, but I'm still thinking of putting RG3 back in, I'm just waiting for the word on his status tomorrow.

Any last minute advice before I pull the trigger?
VeganPhilosopher
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafeholic

Return to Who to Start/Bench