Do I just stop tinkering? Whir - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Do I just stop tinkering? Whir

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do I just stop tinkering? Whir

Postby TheBeaker » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:02 pm

My line up is in my sig. 10 team standard scoring non keeper league.

I read somewhere that if your aren't trading you aren't trying. This is something that sticks with me lol, I love tinkering.

I feel like I'm deep as hell at RB and that I'm not bad at QB and WR. As long as graham stays healthy then TE is solid for the season. Kicker is good. Defense is just getting changed weekly depending on match up.

Should I just stop fiddling? Should I try and use my QBs, Bradshaw, Celek, Smith and/or v Jackson to target upgrades at QB or WR or DEF?

Or does someone else have some ideas I might not have thought of? This whole fantasy thing is so new to me I don't want to mess up what I see as a good thing.

Thanks guys
TheBeaker
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 173)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Do I just stop tinkering? Whir

Postby TheBeaker » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Oh yeah, standard
1 QB
2 RB
2 WR
1 TE
1 flex RB or WR
1 kicker
1 DEF

How much "depth" do I need at this format? Is 4 RB just leaving talent on the bench?
TheBeaker
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic

Postby steveliebo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:13 pm

the only thing i would try to trade for is a QB like Stafford and buy low on him and hope that he pans out because im sure he will but other than that your team is amazing hope this helped please help me out
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=525153
steveliebo
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LMack » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:14 pm

Your roster is pretty solid. You don't have a stud QB but you have two solid options and should be able to effectively play matchups.

You should never ignore the possibility of a trade but you don't have any needs. Keep that in mind. You should never be in a situation where you are selling short on value because you're in a pinch. In fact, you should be able to do that to someone else. If the Matt Forte owner desperately needs a RB this week because he's 1-4 and has WRs to spare, float an offer his way. If the Peyton Manning owner is without a solid QB next week maybe you could work something out. Play off other teams needs because you don't have huge ones.

As far as RB depth, 4 solid options is great to have. You're going to be starting 3 every week and we're in the thick of the byes. Also keep in mind that the attrition rate for RBs is high. Just last week 3 starters - Cedric Benson, Donald Brown, and Ryan Williams - went down and will be missing multiple weeks.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby TheBeaker » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:50 pm

LMack wrote:Your roster is pretty solid. You don't have a stud QB but you have two solid options and should be able to effectively play matchups.

You should never ignore the possibility of a trade but you don't have any needs. Keep that in mind. You should never be in a situation where you are selling short on value because you're in a pinch. In fact, you should be able to do that to someone else. If the Matt Forte owner desperately needs a RB this week because he's 1-4 and has WRs to spare, float an offer his way. If the Peyton Manning owner is without a solid QB next week maybe you could work something out. Play off other teams needs because you don't have huge ones.

As far as RB depth, 4 solid options is great to have. You're going to be starting 3 every week and we're in the thick of the byes. Also keep in mind that the attrition rate for RBs is high. Just last week 3 starters - Cedric Benson, Donald Brown, and Ryan Williams - went down and will be missing multiple weeks.

Thanks man, I like that. The thing don't get is if I wanted to play out the forte scenario for example am I going for a higher end receiver like Reggie Wayne? Who do I offer in that type of spot? I like the Peyton thing but the guy doesn't have a backup so there is opportunity there I guess but I doubt Peyton is on the table....

I think I'm pretty good at organizing like 2 for 2 type trades with RBs and WRs but past at I'm not always sure where to start
TheBeaker
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic

Postby dilhan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:51 pm

How in the world do you have a team like that in a 10 man league?? I would stick with your guns here, even if you may not have the best Qb in the game, Big Ben is still very solid. Don't make someone else stronger with one of your backs to get a slight gain at the Qb position.

help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=525388
.5 ppr - 10 man league
Qb: Cam Newton/Tony Romo
Rb: Matt Forte/Marshawn Lynch/Benjarvus Green-Ellis/Stevan Ridley/Donald Brown
Wr: Jordy Nelson/Percy Harvin/Eric Decker/Brian Hartline/Kenny Britt
Te: Aaron Hernandez
Kicker: Tynes
Def/St: Vikings
dilhan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LMack » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:19 pm

TheBeaker wrote:
LMack wrote:Your roster is pretty solid. You don't have a stud QB but you have two solid options and should be able to effectively play matchups.

Thanks man, I like that. The thing don't get is if I wanted to play out the forte scenario for example am I going for a higher end receiver like Reggie Wayne? Who do I offer in that type of spot? I like the Peyton thing but the guy doesn't have a backup so there is opportunity there I guess but I doubt Peyton is on the table....

I think I'm pretty good at organizing like 2 for 2 type trades with RBs and WRs but past at I'm not always sure where to start

Basically how I envision the Forte situation playing out is something like this (I'm just going to create some hypotheticals so bear with me)

I'm actually going to use Trent Richardson in this example because it makes more sense with your roster. Lets pretend all the players I mention have the same relative value as they do now.

The Trent Richardson owner is 5-4 to start the year and its week 10.

He paired Trent Richardson with Larry Fitzgerald to start off his draft. He swung back around and got Steven Jackson in the 3rd round, Percy Harvin in the 4th and Shonn Greene in the 5th, QB in the 6th, Reggie Wayne in the 7th (These ADPs are roughly applicable, bear with me)

The rest of his draft isn't too important but lets fast forward to week 10. He's had no luck on the WW and is sitting at 5-4, one game out of playoff contention. He's playing his divisional rival. His starting roster looks something like this (other positions don't really matter)

RB: Steven Jackson
RB: Greene
WR: Fitz
WR: Harvin
Flex: Reggie Wayne

He has terrible RBs and NEEDS a win this week or he can kiss his playoff chances goodbye. He knows this. You know this. Meanwhile, you have Ahmad Bradshaw who has a tasty matchup against the Bengals. He's projected for a huge week. You could trade Bradshaw for Wayne straight up and make the case that this deal benefits both of you.

He doesn't have to start Shonn Greene and you get a guy who is a top 10 WR for the playoffs. The fact that he has Trent Richardson on bye this week allows you to play up his RB weakness. He is weak at RB every week, but with his best guy on bye it's even more apparent. His season is pretty much over if he loses, which you can play up as well.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby TheBeaker » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:30 pm

Thanks again man I'm definitely going to keep an eye out and scan bye week stuff tonight. Thanks for the input.
TheBeaker
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic

Postby TheBeaker » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:56 pm

Anyone else have any sage advice?
TheBeaker
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic

Postby koruptified » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:02 pm

Your team is pretty stacked. It's hard to really make a trade unless you plan on upgrading your QB.

viewtopic.php?t=525559
koruptified
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions