How 'bout them Cowboys??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How 'bout them Cowboys???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: How 'bout them Cowboys???

Postby moochman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:34 pm

What does this say about the state of coaching in this league that the new DC is a 72-year old? Bless him and best of luck, if he can keep his energy level and health at high levels he should be a good hire by the circus.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:13 pm

moochman wrote:What does this say about the state of coaching in this league that the new DC is a 72-year old? Bless him and best of luck, if he can keep his energy level and health at high levels he should be a good hire by the circus.

I think Jerry Jones has lost faith in the youth of today and wanted a coach older than himself - seeing as Dick LeBeau was unavailable he opted for the somewhat younger Monte Kiffin!
;-) :-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby moochman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:19 pm

stomperrob wrote:
moochman wrote:What does this say about the state of coaching in this league that the new DC is a 72-year old? Bless him and best of luck, if he can keep his energy level and health at high levels he should be a good hire by the circus.

I think Jerry Jones has lost faith in the youth of today and wanted a coach older than himself - seeing as Dick LeBeau was unavailable he opted for the somewhat younger Monte Kiffin!
;-) :-b

lol

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:38 pm

National reaction to Cowboys' draft: 'Yuck,' 'yikes,' and other unflattering words, but there were some bright spots
Staff reports
Published: 29 April 2013 12:44 AM

When it comes to the national reaction to the Dallas Cowboys' draft, there's seems to be at least one unanimous opinion -- Dallas reached with its first pick. Wisconsin center Travis Frederick has been hailed as a solid player who can improve the Cowboys' ailing offensive line by pundits, but most felt they Cowboys could've gotten him with their second- or even third-round pick. Here's a sampling of some analysts reactions to the Frederick pick...

Sports Illustrated's Chris Burke:
The Cowboys used the 31st pick on Frederick, then Brian Schwenke went to Tennessee at 107. I’m not sure Frederick is even the better of the two prospects, let alone 76 picks better. Dallas needed to bulk up its line, so that was the aim here. It’s still a reach.

NFL Network's Mike Mayock:
I like the player. I like Travis Frederick. It’s not a shot on Travis Frederick – I think he’s a starting center also. … part of me says I’d like to see them play a little bit of poker. And that is, “OK, you’re at 31 now, you need a safety and Jonathan Cyprien is there.” He went two picks later. You could’ve controlled Cyprien, which was a major need at that point, and I know you could’ve dropped down and at 47 gotten the center or gotten Gavin Escobar and then played a little poker that at 74, you could’ve gotten Travis Frederick. I love the fact that they dropped down and got the extra pick. It’s a good football player. All I’m saying is that if I’m a little greedy, he could’ve gotten more out of it.

NFL.com's Elliot Harrison:
A lot of people wanted to see the Cowboys receive more after trading down from No. 18 to No. 31. I don't necessarily mean in terms of the compensation (which was a third-round pick), but rather in terms of the player. Center Travis Frederick, at least on the surface, would seem to be an instant upgrade over incumbent Phil Costa ... unless the Cowboys are planning to try him at guard. Still, Dallas had some people scratching their heads after picking Frederick in the first round.

In fairness to the Cowboys, when a team uses a low first-round pick on a prospect who is widely projected as a second-rounder by analysts, it's often because there are no players with first-round grades left on that team's big board. In other words, Dallas might not have considered Frederick a sure-fire first-round draft choice -- but when the Cowboys were on the clock at 31, they might not have seen anyone whom they'd rated higher.

NFL.com's Albert Breer:
Text from one AFC personnel man when I told him the Cowboys took Frederick: "Yuck".

con't...

more: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas ... -spots.ece
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tantrix1969 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:19 am

Cowboys "New" Offensive Scheme: The Erhardt-Perkins System
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/6/4 ... ins-system

Well it appears that what this basically means is Garrett's time pushing his Air Coryell based offense is over and we are going to copy the Pat's offense. This is the reason for picking Escobar in the 2nd,adopting their scheme/terminology and moving to Callahan as playcaller(Jerry let it slip yesterday & Callahan confirmed).

So after 6 yrs in Garrett's offense, we have decided to say "screw it, lets do what the Pats do".

Now I have never been a fan of JG's playcalling, just seems he has no feel for the game and lets the d dictate the pace of the game just taking what they give until we get so far behind he throws out the playbook and goes hurryup but this reeks to me of the principle if you keep throwing !@#$ at the wall long enough something is bound to stick
"When you watch him play, you’re like, ‘Oh God, he’s going to kill somebody,’ and that’s what I like about the young man.” ~ Jerome Henderson on Cowboys rookie safety J.J. Wilcox
tantrix1969
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 92)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:40 am

The Cowboys biggest issue since the 90's has been O line. the o line makes everything work. If you cant open holes to run you are forced to pass. If you are forced to pass the defense quickly figures this out and can defend you much better including crush your QB.

Anything that helps make things easier for the offense and keeps defenses from matching up with them is better. I would have to think if the Cowboys can make the system work for them it will be a good thing. Thats a big "IF" though. ;-D

I love em as my name says but I really need to see it to believe it. I do like it though because it seems logical. ;-D Brady doesnt have the best offensive line in the league the offense they run just keeps defenses off guard. Maybe this is a way to counter the weaknesses
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby tantrix1969 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:07 am

Good read here from Sturm(one of the few DFW writers I like) on the playcaller switch
http://sturminator.blogspot.com/2013/06 ... s-and.html
"When you watch him play, you’re like, ‘Oh God, he’s going to kill somebody,’ and that’s what I like about the young man.” ~ Jerome Henderson on Cowboys rookie safety J.J. Wilcox
tantrix1969
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:53 pm

No more Cowboys Stadium as yet another owner pursues the almighty dollar:

Cowboys Stadium now called AT&T Stadium after deal
By Dan Hanzus
Around the League Writer
Published: July 25, 2013 at 01:37 p.m.
Updated: July 25, 2013 at 03:00 p.m

Cowboys Stadium is no more. When Tony Romo drops backs for his first pass of the season, he'll do so from AT&T Stadium.

The Dallas Cowboys officially announced the partnership with the Dallas-based super corporation Thursday, a long-term naming rights agreement that immediately goes into effect.

Jerry Jones flew in from the Cowboys' training camp facility in Oxnard, Calif., to host a news conference at the $1.2 billion facility Thursday. The owner called it a "very special day in the history of our organization."

It's certainly a special day for Jones' bank account. Though the team press release didn't get into financial specifics of the naming rights, it's been reported that the sale could mean an annual $17 million to $19 million windfall for Jones. We would let AT&T tattoo its logo on our foreheads for that reward.

The Structure Formerly Known As Cowboys Stadium opened in 2009. That name nearly hung around for four years, not because Jones wanted it that way, but because he was unable to find a suitable deal. He's now found a suitable deal.

It's still Jerrah World to us.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... witter_atl

*"very special day in the history of our organization." - Give me a break Jerry, nothing could further from the truth!
stomperrob

Postby tantrix1969 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:52 am

So Jerry let slip during the live blue/white scrimmage yesterday that Romo has a tendendency to go off book as it were and make up his own plays, now without knowing which plays he was adlibbing there's no way to tell if the end result was good or bad but it makes me remember couple of games last season(Atl & TB) where he was obviously upset with Garrett over which I'd assume was playcalling. Regardless of outcome I bet this had alot to do with Callahan being named the new playcaller.
“The trade offs that we’re having here is if we will incorporate a lot of the things that Romo likes, then the trade off is that he will never draw one up in the huddle again. (commentators laugh) And that is the trade off. Seriously. I say that with a straight face. But that’s the deal. If we practice them, we practice them on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. If we practice them here in training camp, we won’t be drawing anymore plays up in the huddle, in the dirt. And that should help us not make mistakes. That should help his receivers know more what to do. Help him have a better feel for where the defense is going to be. I think it’s gonna be a win-win.”

http://thelandryhat.com/2013/07/29/cowb ... he-huddle/
tantrix1969
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:14 pm

That is always the Cowboys main problem is they will find a way to mess it up. It they can eliminate those problems they can be a great team.

They rarely get blown out by even the best teams. They make key mistakes all throughout the season that cause them to lose the games. Little things sometimes like holding penalties or PI's that either kill drives or sustain them for the other team. Throwing costly ints. But you can't lay the blame on just Romo because the whole team is at fault.

Their season will come down to limiting mistakes. The talent is there to make a run at it but you must cure those mistakes to be an elite team. Guess we will see. ;-D
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Previous

Return to Football Talk