Is there a lawyer in the house? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is there a lawyer in the house?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Super Freak » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:20 am

altproject wrote:i'm not a lawyer, but traditionally, the NFL sets the highest seeded team against the lowest. generally, division winners are given higher seeds over wildcards. therefore, #2 is the "most fair" way of doing it -- where the best division winner plays the wildcard.

i know what you're thinking... the 6-8 division winner is a lesser team than the wildcard, so shouldn't the best division winner get to play them instead? what makes it fair is not looking at it from the #1 division winner's point of view. look at it from the #3 division winner's point of view (the 6-8 guy). he won his division and therefore he deserves the #3 seed. that is the main reason for having divisions and the incentive behind winning them. therefore, the wildcard has to placed #4 by process of elimination. it ends up to be a tougher matchup for the #1 division winner... but that's the luck of the draw.

i agree and couldn't have said it better myself
Moss IS the best WR in the game...
-Terrell Owens
Randy Moss
AKA Super Freak
The Super Freak Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

g

Postby guest9 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:28 am

I agree with everyone above, we are all saying the same thing. 'Guest' is probably the wildcard apparently, since he won't listen to the answers he has gotten up to this point. The 'fair' thing is for the division winner (regardless of record) to be seeded above the wildcard. That is your answer.

People were not trying to answer a different question when they were bringing up having no divisions. They were just trying to point out that if you have divisions, then it is not 'fair' to seed division winners lower than wildcards.

Good luck to everyone this week.
guest9

Friendliness: %

Postby Billy joe » Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:46 pm

Thanks for all of the responses.

Believe it or not I am starting to agree with you guys. I am correct in that it is more fair to reward Division winner #1 for having the most wins before rewarding Division winner #3 for being in the worst division. However, in theory #3 could have more points scored than the Wild Card even with a far worse record. In that case #3 is being penalized by luck of schedule because he played teams only when they put up huge numbers.

So maybe do away with divisions and give the top 6 scorers every week the W right? It would be a little more fair, but a person could still miss the playoffs by one game and have more points than one or more playoff teams.

The only fair way to do it is to just have no divisions, wins or losses. Total points scored over the season would determine play-off teams and seeding. And with a terrible team you could possibly know that you were out of the playoffs by week 5-6 , and with a great team you could possibly know that you were the #1 seed with 3-4 weeks left. Basically it would take alot of the close races out, and would be rather boring.

So I realized all of these little injustices are part of what makes Fantasy Football fun, even if you are the #1 seed in this case.
Billy joe Beginner
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby altproject » Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:59 pm

if you're really looking for "fair", yeah... get rid of head-to-head matchups, get rid of divisions. just play for total points -- top scoring team wins. that's the most fair thing possible. but head-to-head and divisions and playoffs are way more exciting and fun even though they end up sometimes being a little "unfair" to one or two teams.
20 Team League | 11-3 | 5th Place
--------------------------------------------
Q: Kitna, Flutie
R: Henry, Portis, T. Jones, Rudi, Griffin, Burns
W: Chambers, Ward
T: Shockey
K: Elling
D: Bills
altproject
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:44 am

Yup, definitely have to go with option B. The division winners are the top 3 seeds, they get seeded based on their record. Since there are no ties or anything, it is clear who gets which seed.

It is unfortunate that the best team doesn't get to play the worst team record wise. It isn't fair to seed them strictly by record since the typical format would be to use option B. It should be made clear in the rules somehow either way.

Having 3 division unless you have 15 or more teams seems like too many divisions. I prefer 2 divisions (and 2 matchups a week).

I've been our points champ several years (back to back currently), but winning the Championship has been alot tougher. Even though I've done well points wise, I wouldn't want to go to a points league. H2H in football is too much fun if done with friends.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Ottawa Man » Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:45 pm

You can't plead record once you've agreed to play in a league with divisions. You have already conceded that record is not fully determinative.

As has been pointed out, if you want to argue that going by record is more "fair", one could extend that line of thinking even further and say that seeding should be by total points for the season. That's the most "fair" in terms of trying to get the most skilled the highest seed.

Fact is FF is as much or more of a luck game than a skill game. Records (and divisions) are made important because they add an entertainment factor.
Ottawa Man
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby brdmaverick » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:31 am

if you are desperate to avoid these problems, you can use the MLB playoff format. Have the #1 seed play against the #4 seed UNLESS they are from the same division. In which case, the top seed would play against the #3 seed.
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk